• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are latex tubes REALLY noticeable?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i have only used latex once seemed to ride real well i thought the key with latex was the suppleness not the weight alone. they lose air fast though. how are those ultralight michelins? generally i use your basic specialized light tube for racing.

forty four said:
i have only used latex once seemed to ride real well i thought the key with latex was the suppleness not the weight alone. they lose air fast though. how are those ultralight michelins? generally i use your basic specialized light tube for racing.
forty four, the ultralights are nice. I got a good deal on them a while back, so I figured I'd give them a try. I've been using them inside Panaracer Evo 3 tires, and I've only had one flat in 3,600 miles since April. And that was because of a big piece of glass I didn't see in time. Even then, it was only a slow leak that didn't show up until the next morning.

As you've said, it's the suppleness of the latex tubes that is supposed to offer a nicer ride, but that's what I'm curious about...if people can feel a definite differenece bewteen them and an ultralight butyl tube. They're supposed to be a bit more punture resistant too, but it's really the ride I'm questioning.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
As you've said, it's the suppleness of the latex tubes that is supposed to offer a nicer ride, but that's what I'm curious about...if people can feel a definite differenece bewteen them and an ultralight butyl tube. They're supposed to be a bit more punture resistant too, but it's really the ride I'm questioning.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you put talk or chaulk in the tyre so as they dont sweat inside or they will stick to the outer casing then you get wheel wobble. uneven presure in the tube.

otherwise great to ride on if you have time to notice while racing.

they feel good when sprinting etc.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
marathon marke said:
I've been using Michelin Ultralight Aircomp tubes this year. I think their weight is near or the same as a latex tube. I've never tried latex, but I've been curious if I would actually notice any difference in the ride.

Not noticeable, but measurable. In combination with a fast rolling tire (Michelin Pro Race, Vittoria CX or CS, Veloflex, etc) they make a measurable performance difference. Tire makes a bigger difference than tube, but latex is still better.

marathon marke said:
I've been using Michelin Ultralight Aircomp tubes this year. I think their weight is near or the same as a latex tube. I've never tried latex, but I've been curious if I would actually notice any difference in the ride.

I cannot tell the difference. In fact I cannot tell the difference between any tube, whether it is light or heavy, supple or stiff, or whatever.

I have always found lightweight tubes to be a lot more problematic than regular tubes.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
A few years back when I was racing and training 6 days a week, I could tell the difference between latex and butyl, but only on the track (indoors). On the road there were too many variables coming into play to notice, but on the track I could tell (but only if they were my own wheels). I used clincher tires for my warm-up/spare wheels and putting a latex tube in there did make a difference. I found this out during a practice session. I had been rolling around, just dilly-dallying, and noticed that i was able to roll around at a lower speed, and that the gear seemed just that little bit easier to spin. Thought that i was just going real good, and my dad who was on the stopwatch mentioned that my times were a lil bit quicker. He then burst my bubble by telling me he put ultralight latex tubes in my tires the night previous. And I thought i was just having a break through workout that day!

Thanks for all the replies, guys! At this point, I'm just assuming that the Michelin Ultralight butyl tubes are the best choice (for me, at least). The lower price and slower "bleed rate" seem to override any slight possible difference in ride quality when compared to a latex tube. I wouldn't mind the hassle of pumping up the tires everyday if I had to (I did with tubulars for years), but I would really have to see an obvious improvement in ride quality to move over to latex tubes on my clinchers before I decide the price difference is worth it.

TRENDING THREADS