• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are the 2014 Classics a sign of cleaner sport?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Ripper said:
?????????????????

You've got some reading to do, my friend.

Having read one of his posts in one of the Sky threads (he cited Messi, Kobe Bryant, and Bolt as clean athletes), I think we can safely assume that he belongs to the "no positive test = not doping" subgroup of sports fans.

As an aside, I find it astounding that people place such faith in athletes when they place such cynicism towards people from every other walk of life. For example, take a high ranking politician being accused of something or other (I don't know, for arguments sake, corruption/embezzlement). Pretty much everybody would pile in on the poor bloke, there's no concept of 'innocent until proven guilty' by the popular media and society at large when it comes to that scenario. But when it comes to athletes, of course, we all know, that it is quite the opposite.

We are such a bizarre species. There is no reason a politician is inherently less trustworthy than an athlete.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Having read one of his posts in one of the Sky threads (he cited Messi, Kobe Bryant, and Bolt as clean athletes), I think we can safely assume that he belongs to the "no positive test = not doping" subgroup of sports fans.

As an aside, I find it astounding that people place such faith in athletes when they place such cynicism towards people from every other walk of life. For example, take a high ranking politician being accused of something or other (I don't know, for arguments sake, corruption/embezzlement). Pretty much everybody would pile in on the poor bloke, there's no concept of 'innocent until proven guilty' by the popular media and society at large when it comes to that scenario. But when it comes to athletes, of course, we all know, that it is quite the opposite.

We are such a bizarre species. There is no reason a politician is inherently less trustworthy than an athlete.

I'd say people invest themselves far too much emotionally in their favorite athletes. And people raise athletes up to a far too high standard. One that is impossible for the athlete to live up too. People raise their favorites up to such a high stannard that they don't believe their favorites could do anything wrong. They represent the perfect role model of someone that put in the hard work, was disciplined, and always chose the right path to make it too the top.

The truth of the matter though, is making it the top sometimes may involve some wrongdoing. And athletes are not naturally of a higher moral standard then anyone else. They are just people, and therefore just as susceptible to doing or making a wrong choice (like to dope for example) to get to the top as anyone else would be.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Without going too far OT, the difference with the politician, imo, is that power attracts the corrupt.

So the difference is that 'power' means something different when politicians are concerned than when athletes are concerned? Interesting view.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
We don't really need to theorize here. Our prior expectations should be based on the cumulative evidence. Time and time again we've seen politicians being caught despite their strongest protestations to the contrary. Time and time again we've seen athletes deny everything only to be caught.

Those who are caught aren't uniquely reprehensible and bad people. They are normal people like the rest of us (ok, there are exceptions like Lance) who are in it for themselves. They will take an opportunity if it presents itself. As long as the risk reward ratio is right, s sizable portion of humanity cheats at all games they can, simple as.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
HSNHSN said:
So the difference is that 'power' means something different when politicians are concerned than when athletes are concerned? Interesting view.

I think it means more you didn't understand what I was getting at than what you have posted here.

eg: consider more why JV stopped cycling and then leapt into team management (+ cycling's politics). Much more influence and power. Much cheaper income effort wise.