• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are the UCI clowns, terrorists and "no different to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi"?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
20pyjqp.jpg

"People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook." - Nixon '73.

2utreo5.jpg

"People have got to know whether or not their President is a clown. Well, I'm not a clown." - McQuaid '12.

Digger said:
CERA was meant to be undetectable. In the Gerolsteiner bus when it was announced that Ricco tested positive for CERA, all of them started cheering...someone looked around and saw Kohl and Schumacher looking a nervous wreck.

There was supposedly other cover ups that year. A whole host of CSC riders including O'Grady had positives swept under the carpet.

Do you have an online reference for this? Personal experience perhaps? Any extra information would be great.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Do you have an online reference for this? Personal experience perhaps? Any extra information would be great.

It was Sebastian Lang who said it and it was Schumacher who was the rider not celebrating. Kohl said later he remembered it and that he was at a different part of the bus, so was able to conceal his fear.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
20pyjqp.jpg

"People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook." - Nixon '73.

2utreo5.jpg

"People have got to know whether or not their President is a clown. Well, I'm not a clown." - McQuaid '12.
jeez, you really cracked me with your superb sense of humor...:)

I needed it, as I was sad and somber all day today, meeting a landsman, from the same remote Nordic village we both grew up in. He is a generation older and he said he just underwent chemo for his rectum cancer that was spread...i did my best to express my empathy. And I also, after hesitating, asked his opinion of armstrong's doping case. Without any hestation, my landsman
Said what 99% of the people in our village would say, ' he is an absolute fraud NOT speaking for me'.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
D-Queued said:
I was going to argue with you, but then this other Wiggo guy posted the answer.

Your second post has it. Your first post ignores leadership.

Where are the sports leaders directing the sport?

This is, perhaps, where Floyd's analogy to Ghaddafi has an element of truth.

Getting a bit theoretical, look to the Nobel prize winning theories of John Nash. The most successful/most stable groups are those with strong leaders (= Nash equilibrium). Moreover, the least successful and least stable groups are those with many leaders, which undermines the argument in your first post.

Flipping that around, the most difficult cultures to overturn are those created, encouraged and sustained by the leadership.

Fix the leadership, fix the mess.

Dave.

I guess what I am saying is that UCI are being lead - they are NOT the leaders (imo). IOC wields a far bigger stick.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Especially when you consider they wanted to keep the status quo going: doping in but nice and quiet.

Now we have people reporting anti-UCI sentiment from someone who allegedly "owned" the Tour de France, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Only just saw this post now. Thanks for being more precise about "owning" TdF than I was trying to be concise. My point was Clerc's anti-UCI sentiment, not "owning" TdF.

Don't you think it's interesting that Amaury owns l'Equipe and that l"Equipe is now going to town on UCI? Seems a change from 2008...

And what do you make of the rumoured Sarkozy interventions to get Clerc removed in 2008? Sometimes politics plays behind the scenes and what we see being played out has reasons. Maybe there were (also) good business reasons for Amaury to remove Clerc (as opposed to UCI reasons).

Another one of my personal learnings over the past months is that much of the discussion here seems very US/UK centric, with some ANZ thrown in for good measure. There's a whole additional dynamic playing in Benelux and France that we are largely missing, and struggle to penetrate, presumably because of language reasons. A decent group of dutch here, some rather broken ;) , but few French. Once you ride and speak with the local french you realize they think quite differently. You also get a sense for how big cycling is at a community level. Would it not be great to have a translation engine on this board that allows the french to read & participate in these discussions.

Just googled Armstrong, Clerc, Amaury and Sarkozy; Interesting link here that illustrates some of above that Big Ring will probably also like.

http://wadawatch.blogspot.sg/2009/06/deux-canards-laques.html

Sep 29, 2012
Tinman said:
Only just saw this post now. Thanks for being more precise about "owning" TdF than I was trying to be concise. My point was Clerc's anti-UCI sentiment, not "owning" TdF.

Don't you think it's interesting that Amaury owns l'Equipe and that l"Equipe is now going to town on UCI? Seems a change from 2008...

And what do you make of the rumoured Sarkozy interventions to get Clerc removed in 2008? Sometimes politics plays behind the scenes and what we see being played out has reasons. Maybe there were (also) good business reasons for Amaury to remove Clerc (as opposed to UCI reasons).

Another one of my personal learnings over the past months is that much of the discussion here seems very US/UK centric, with some ANZ thrown in for good measure. There's a whole additional dynamic playing in Benelux and France that we are largely missing, and struggle to penetrate, presumably because of language reasons. A decent group of dutch here, some rather broken ;) , but few French. Once you ride and speak with the local french you realize they think quite differently. You also get a sense for how big cycling is at a community level. Would it not be great to have a translation engine on this board that allows the french to read & participate in these discussions.

Just googled Armstrong, Clerc, Amaury and Sarkozy; Interesting link here that illustrates some of above that Big Ring will probably also like.

http://wadawatch.blogspot.sg/2009/06/deux-canards-laques.html

Timelines are fascinating things. My Internet connection is woeful, but I will post one on the weekend.

I've seen that blog, but thanks for the reminder.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
One of today's UCI tweets. I thought it belonged on this "clown" thread. Why on earth would you want to tweet this as UCI (unless your twitter hijacked)...? Have a junior managing your twitter postings? Just not clever...

UCI ‏@UCI_Feed

(Cyclingnews): USADA report contains "the same, old, worn-out stuff": Armstrong spokesman: Agency's ... http://bit.ly/QXavgO #procycling

Sep 29, 2012
Tinman said:
One of today's UCI tweets. I thought it belonged on this "clown" thread. Why on earth would you want to tweet this as UCI (unless your twitter hijacked)...? Have a junior managing your twitter postings? Just not clever...

UCI ‏@UCI_Feed

(Cyclingnews): USADA report contains "the same, old, worn-out stuff": Armstrong spokesman: Agency's ... http://bit.ly/QXavgO #procycling

I'm almost 100% convinced it's on autopilot (ie robotic retweeter based on content). They tweeted a link to the Kimmage support fund a few weeks ago.

Dear Wiggo said:
I'm almost 100% convinced it's on autopilot (ie robotic retweeter based on content). They tweeted a link to the Kimmage support fund a few weeks ago.

If that's not the pinnacle of laziness, what a fail...
Are they bots or clowns?

Could the bot be tricked into self-incrimination?

Sep 29, 2012
Cloxxki said:
If that's not the pinnacle of laziness, what a fail...
Are they bots or clowns?

Could the bot be tricked into self-incrimination?

Hah! I am not sure - but retweeting the link to the Paul Kimmage fund seemed decidedly at odds with their mandate that Kimmage is a lying no good 2 bit dishonest liar. Or something.

So yes.

Potentially trickable, but it looks like they are retweeting cycling website tweets - cyclingnews. velonews, etc. Not tweets from individuals. Those cycling website feeds tend to be very clean.

Have a chat with Dan Benson and see if he's prepared to experiment ;-)

TRENDING THREADS