• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ArmstrongÂ’s 2008-12 samples point to blood doping.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
the big ring said:

I need to go back and read up on that - didn't really follow Floyd's journey there. Does he still dispute test in his sample?

Baker? I am not sure what he did after Landis' confessed. At one of his fundraisers, I publicly challenged both of them about their disinformation campaign regarding testosterone and "lack of benefits" to a bike racer, stating why should somebody who needs to be light for the mountains take a steroid used by body builders?

My position was that testosterone itself is not very anabolic, but has a known benefit of raising hematocrit, along with promoting faster recovery and keeping mood elevated, all of which would help in the context of a stage race.

Thus, by providing disinformation about testosterone's benefits, there appeared to me a cover-up. You can image this discussion, primarily with Dr. Baker, became very heated.

Guilty people tend to argue in an angry fashion, while the innocent plead.

the big ring said:
... Does he still dispute test in his sample?

I seem to recall that Floyd STILL maintains he did not do testosterone at that time, but did do all the other stuff. This seems to indicate Floyd believes his sample was spiked. Who by? Why?? We can all have our suspicions, especially now the true level of corruption within UCI is being exposed.

sittingbison said:
I seem to recall that Floyd STILL maintains he did not do testosterone at that time, but did do all the other stuff. This seems to indicate Floyd believes his sample was spiked. Who by? Why?? We can all have our suspicions, especially now the true level of corruption within UCI is being exposed.

While I agree the UCI is corrupt, a false positive is possible. The tests aren't perfect, and performing and reading some tests borders on craft.

Unfortunately, the wada certified labs are not consistent in their results. There is public research in this area.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
sittingbison said:

I feel that is to protect Baker.

sittingbison said:

Pepe Marti sold him some bad junk, perhaps intentionally.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
He was using a topical testosterone preparation that day. The reason he failed the T/E test is due to him dowsing himself with water that day. Wet skin increases its permeability, thus a larger, now detectible dose.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Turner,

May we have more information about that preparation?
Are you saying he raced with a patch or he had a T cream while racing?
Thanks.

Sorry, this assumption is bogus. Why? Because it is well known, that T patches, gel and even andriol will suppress natural production considerably, in fact much more than when administered intramuscular. Say you have a normal T level of 5-6 ng/ml which drops to < 2 ng/ml due to physiological and psychological strain during intensive training/stage racing. You leave the patch there for some hours and raise T level to say 8-9 ng/ml quickly, adding nicely to recovery, at the same time your natural production will be almost stopped. Remember Sinkewitz' and Kessler's T/E of ratios of > 80:1? There you go.

Natural production is just being picked up much quicker as well, so in the morning you may be in the 4:1 range again. If FLandis really used exogenous T the night before (which is not sure because he claims otherwise and a contaminated blood bag makes more sense considering his performance that day). Maybe he used both and just left the patch for too long.

The water was for cooling and dilluting his blood was a side effect. I'm sure he received saline solution infusions as well which are more effective. Lim is a cooling freak after all.