• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong admits doping (essentially)?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Benotti69 said:
yeah, the others rode penny farthings till the uniballer came along?

the most innovative successful cyclist ever? Graham Obree.:cool:

uniballer did not innovate anything, he believed people innovated for him to make his gear better, this was done to make money out of the guy and in order to feed his ego..

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/07/f-one-thirty-six-seconds.html

debunks the myth....

I know one thing, nobody has been able to make a helmet big enough to contain his huge melon. It must be done with mirrors to appear normal.

Cue BB for picture. ;)

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Before Lance, no full-time, professional cyclist ever dedicated themselves to winning. He changed the whole business. He even thought about what equipment he should use and made sure his tires were inflated properly.

Dave.

Also, his tires were aged in a basement.

A

Anonymous

Ninety5rpm said:
"It would be a mistake for me to think back on the stuff that I did on the bike when I have things in front of me that are much bigger than that." [okay, this is the most blatant part - what on Earth could he be referring to here other than his own doping?]

Dude.. youre reading between the lines a little too much. Im all for discrediting lance and proving him to be a liar etc, but youre clutching at straws a little one that one. Anything can be read how we want to read it if we try hard enough.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Daniel Benson:

@NickMech @FlashingPedals @newcyclingpath When a q on Jeff N investigation came up, entourage put an end to the press conference

-------------------------------------------

In any case, was this Lancey's first proper press conference in a while?

What a coincidence....Jeff Novitsky does not discuss the case in the press either. Douchebags grrrrr.

TeamSkyFans said:
Ninety5rpm said:
"It would be a mistake for me to think back on the stuff that I did on the bike when I have things in front of me that are much bigger than that." [okay, this is the most blatant part - what on Earth could he be referring to here other than his own doping?]
Dude.. youre reading between the lines a little too much. Im all for discrediting lance and proving him to be a liar etc, but youre clutching at straws a little one that one. Anything can be read how we want to read it if we try hard enough.
Well, then, help me out, please. Answer my question. What on Earth could he be referring to here besides doping? What else might have he done "on the bike" that it would be a mistake to think back on? Would it be a mistake to think back on riding up Alpe d'Huez? I honestly don't get it.

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Ninety Five,

I think you were pretty liberal with your inferences. None of that looked to me like Lance was admitting anything and I don't expect him to ever. I think he'll go to his deathbed proclaiming his innocence.

Your inferrences were very "Alex Jones" like.

-s

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, Lance is admitting to doping.
Slowly but surely. Bit by bit.

The savvy ones picked up on the admissions long ago, stating with the "I never tested positive". True, but...

"Its a French Conspiracy". True, but....

Fast forward a couple of years...

"Dude, fanboy, you really believed all that "no doping stuff"
"C'mon, it is Pro Cycling dude. News for ya, Santa Clause aint real either"
Everyone laughs and has a beer.
Lance is looking forward to that - you know its true.

spessx said:
Ninety Five,

I think you were pretty liberal with your inferences. None of that looked to me like Lance was admitting anything and I don't expect him to ever. I think he'll go to his deathbed proclaiming his innocence.

-s
My question stands. What else might he be talking about? I'm serious.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Well, then, help me out, please. Answer my question. What on Earth could he be referring to here besides doping? What else might have he done "on the bike" that it would be a mistake to think back on? Would it be a mistake to think back on riding up Alpe d'Huez? I honestly don't get it.

Well, I think it would be a mistake for any retiring athlete to think too much about the pleasure of past glories, which they can never repeat. It's probably not that easy to adjust to less public adulation than they are used to. No idea what Lance meant by it of course, but a reference to doping is not the only possibility IMO.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

It's the sort of thing any big name sportsman says when they retire (as well as people in other fields)

It's just the generic: "I've very proud of my career, but I'm not going to spend the rest of my life living off the glory and sitting around staring at my trophies. I have new challenges ahead of me, and they're going to have my full focus. Blah, blah, blah..."

I've heard it a hundred times.

Ninety5rpm said:

You're being very literal, in the sense that you're reading it as he's saying it's a 'mistake' to think back on 'stuff he did on the bike'... remember that the preceding quote was 'I don't sit around and reminisce much'. I think he's just being vague, and from the context of the interview it sounds more like he's saying, 'it's silly to think of my past career when I've still got important stuff to do', which of course could vaguely refer to anything he did in his long career. His word, 'mistake', was just a poor word choice during a verbal interview.

If you want to be literal about it, then he couldn't talk about doping, because one doesn't dope when one is on one's bike. That's more for a hotel room or a faux-broken down bus.

Ninety5rpm said:
My comments inside the quote in [brackets].

High levels of doping in cycling are due to riders pushing human limits further than other sports, Lance Armstrong says. [Now, if the doping is pushing human limits further AND he beat them... the math is clear]

The seven-time Tour de France winner says he's not worried at being mentioned in doping investigations [downplaying], but is concerned at the high number of positive drug tests in cycling.

"I know if you laid those controls over any other world sport, especially one as demanding as cycling, you would have as many, if not more, positives." [justifies doping]

"I have never been one to sit around and reminisce much," he said.

Sorry, 95. I couldn't get through that whole post without thinking 'bull spit'. You are reading a lot into what Lance said. Especially that last one, what you claim is a "blatant part". He'll never admit anything, nor insinuate anything.

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

Not defending him, but could it be that he is suggesting that he believes that his continuing role as "cancer survivor", spokesperson, fundraising, whatever, is more "important" than his sporting accomplishments?

Geez, even the Spanish Inquisition would regard your inferences as being a stretch.:)

Michael Brown said:
Not defending him, but could it be that he is suggesting that he believes that his continuing role as "cancer survivor", spokesperson, fundraising, whatever, is more "important" than his sporting accomplishments?

Geez, even the Spanish Inquisition would regard your inferences as being a stretch.:)
Maybe I'm just being dense. Happens all the time. Ask my wife.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Maybe I'm just being dense. Happens all the time. Ask my wife.

wouldn't surprise me if LA was speaking in such a manner to rile his critics.

sociopath like him would get such a kick from it.

High levels of doping in cycling are due to riders pushing human limits further than other sports, Lance Armstrong says.

I'm afraid we're going to start hearing a lot of those kind of messages, as the investigation begins to unveil the truth. This is the first step of a series of statements aiming to "decode" in a smooth way what LA & Co are going to call "the requirements to succeed in a sport of almost inhumane demands"-to coat it with a rhetoric excused on why doping was necessary to reach those levels to achieve results.

stay tuned;)

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
MY Comments in " "
Hrotha said
Well reading this thread with the big sensationalist title turned out to be a huge waste of time “me -- I agree “

Barracuda said
WTF .... Man, Id love to have that big Crystal Ball that your staring into at the minute ....... Out of that press conference you pulled that he is admitting he doped ..... you are dreaming !! “me -- dead right”

Catch the man out with some tests - publish it and then ban him and then i will believe ... until then ... I guess I will see you at the twitter ride on Saturday. “me 100% correct attitude_!”_________________

Python said
agreed. another thread about the same sameness. 95 pr0lly felt jealous that so many threads about armstrong were started by others, so he had to add his own twist. a useless threads. “me -- more truth”

Roland rat said
This is what has always astonished me about the doping apologists. Where do people think the drugs come from? A friendly doctor at Amgen who wants to make a bit on the side so he can buy his kid a nice Christmas present? It's extremely naive to think anything other than they come from part of a much larger organised crime network.
“me -- Jail time for the suppliers”

On -line rider said

That is the sloppiest, most unconvincing piece of incrimination I have ever read. “me 100% correct”

D queued said
Before Lance, no full-time, professional cyclist ever dedicated themselves to winning. He changed the whole business. He even thought about what equipment he should use and made sure his tires were inflated properly. “me -- Professional approach grabbed results “

Cloxxki said
Please don't flatter him with any sort of comparison to Obree? “me -- Obree has heart and feelings, LA was all business during the 7 wins, now he is approachable”

SC1990
So we work backwards from the desired goal (Armstrong must be a cheat) and work out how his words somehow prove that conclusion, rather then reading his words and forming a conclusion from that now? Interesting logic. “me -- good work”

TeamSkyFans
Dude.. youre reading between the lines a little too much. Im all for discrediting lance and proving him to be a liar etc, but youre clutching at straws a little one that one. Anything can be read how we want to read it if we try hard enough. “me -- you’ll need the straws if you try to float on this thread”

Your inferrences were very "Alex Jones" like. “me -- Getting too much exercise , leaping to conclusions”

I watch cycling in July said
Well, I think it would be a mistake for any retiring athlete to think too much about the pleasure of past glories, which they can never repeat. It's probably not that easy to adjust to less public adulation than they are used to. No idea what Lance meant by it of course, but a reference to doping is not the only possibility IMO. “me -- 100% honest thinker”

Clearly unstable said
I find the whole affair and the people that are soooooooooooooooooooooooo invested in either side a great study in human psychology.

Thank you.

Please carry on. “me -- great entertainment, what?”

It's the sort of thing any big name sportsman says when they retire (as well as people in other fields)

It's just the generic: "I've very proud of my career, but I'm not going to spend the rest of my life living off the glory and sitting around staring at my trophies. I have new challenges ahead of me, and they're going to have my full focus. Blah, blah, blah..."

I've heard it a hundred times. “me -- really?”

On3m@n@rmy said
Sorry, 95. I couldn't get through that whole post without thinking 'bull spit'. You are reading a lot into what Lance said. Especially that last one, what you claim is a "blatant part". He'll never admit anything, nor insinuate anything. “ me -- “BULL S__T is correct !”

Took a while to catch up but Lance deserves respect from all but the JUDGE on his throne When and only when he is in the dock of a Court of LAW not of opinion, conjecture or innuendo !

CAPICE ?

skippy said:
Took a while to catch up but Lance deserves respect from all but the JUDGE on his throne When and only when he is in the dock of a Court of LAW not of opinion, conjecture or innuendo !

CAPICE ?

Why won't you produce the examples of the books with 'lies and half truths' which you say exist? If there are books containing these things you speak of then it should be easy. Oy maybe you just made that statement up, which would be ironic. :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

spessx said:
Ninety Five,

-s

More like Aled Jones..

To answer the question.. "thinking back to stuff i did on the bike, things in front of me blah blah blah"

The stuff on the bike was winning races, hes talking about achievements on the bike and how they now dont seem important compared with "the fight against cancer" or "the floods in australia"

I think youre grasping at straws a bit, reading far more into something than you should. that coupled with the attention grabbing thread title is a bit much :D

There are countless things over the years hes said that we could interpret however we wanted to, but there needs to be more than just interpretation.