• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong at Snowmass

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
The commentators remarked on it. He was well down on the overall pace but was third quickest in the technical down hill section. (I Di luca was first. Menchof was way down.)

It's no secret that Armstrong is one of the best bike handlers out there. Are we supposed to pretend that's not true as well now?
but there was no time split, this is just another of the Phil'n'Paul shilling for Armstrong, hyperbole.

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
perhaps you are not well connected, and heard about his early season racing and the peloton chatter.

I don't believe for second you have any connection with pro peloton chatter, of course, but in the unlikely event that you do, you confuse some jovial banter about an old cyclist returning with a serious analysis of his bike handling skills.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
I don't believe for second you have any connection with pro peloton chatter, of course, but in the unlikely event that you do, you confuse some jovial banter about an old cyclist returning with a serious analysis of his bike handling skills.
here is one broken collarbone in evidence

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
but there was no time split, this is just another of the Phil'n'Paul shilling for Armstrong, hyperbole.

I will make one correction. It wasn't the last time trial - that was obviously the one in the rain when Menchof fell off, only to get back on and still win. Wow, still utterly amazing to think about that. It was the first individual time trial, but the second overall time trial, since the team time trial started the tour.

It was on Eurosport. There was an anaylsis of the numbers the next day in the press, and they were amazed at how much time Mechov lost in the lost in that last section to Di luca. They also then touched on how great a bike handler Armstrong was to be well down over all, but third quickest in that same last section.

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
here is one broken collarbone in evidence

Yes ironic he was so unlucky on the one year he comes back, which really screwed up his whole preperation for the summer. You can see why he road so few races outside of the Tour for all those years.

The accident wasn't his fault at all, of course.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
It was on Eurosport. There was an anaylsis of the numbers the next day in the press, and they were amazed at how much time Mechov lost in the lost in that last section to Di luca. They also then touched on how great a bike handler Armstrong was to be well down over all, but third quickest in that same last section.

if it was so well covered It should be easy for you to provide a link for this

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:

It's not a question of being well covered. It was the numbers of the technical down hill section. Most reports don't have section by section anaylsis unfortunately.

It was stage 12. See if you can find it here...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...rial,+stage+12,+Armstrong,+last+section&meta=

It's hardly breaking news that Armstrong is good at technical riding. It's not something one would bother to make up.

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:

Oh, I see what you might have done. You see me mention the press. But it's the Italian press though.

Clever guys those Eurosport chaps. They speak about eight languages it seems to me. They can translate just about anything on the spot.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
It's not a question of being well covered. It was the numbers of the technical down hill section. Most reports don't have section by section anaylsis unfortunately.

It was stage 12. See if you can find it here...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...rial,+stage+12,+Armstrong,+last+section&meta=

It's hardly breaking news that Armstrong is good at technical riding. It's not something one would bother to make up.

Still waiting for your link.

In the meantime lets hear from an actual Pro who was racing with Armstrong

. “He wasn’t holding a good line. He looked like a neo-pro or a rider not at ease mixing it up,” said Orbea’s Daniel Sesma

http://bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-3-9-18770-2,00.html

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Still waiting for your link.

All you have to do is find the break down of that time trial. I can't find it on google, can you? Do you doubt it?

In the meantime lets hear from an actual Pro who was racing with Armstrong. He wasn’t holding a good line. He looked like a neo-pro or a rider not at ease mixing it up,” said Orbea’s Daniel Sesma[

Thanks for that, Eva. Yes riding in a pack can take a bit of getting used to. By the time of the Giro and ToF he was fine. Armstrong is the best at it.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
All you have to do is find the break down of that time trial. I can't find it on google, can you? Do you doubt it?

It is your claim, not my job to search Google for you

TheArbiter said:
Thanks for that, Eva. Yes riding in a pack can take a bit of getting used to. By the time of the Giro and ToF he was fine. Armstrong is the best at it.

How did get used to it if he didn't race?

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Look that doesn't matter, he's just the best, the very best.

You have to wonder what point they are trying to make. Dr Ferrari magically made Armstrong a great bike handler? They're very confused, grasping for anything they can to do him down. It's sad really.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Guess he was able to put up with it for all of the 10 miles or so he was on the wheel.

He looked like he was suffering behind Andy Shrek. Must be wicked in that dudes draft.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TFF wrong again

Thoughtforfood said:
He won a 3rd or 4th U.S. tier mountain bike race by beating up on the locals. Impressive, very impressive...

He beat up on a couple of locals that rank 1st and 3rd on the US MTB points.

You might want to think before posting your 2385th post.

come on Troll eat the food.

A

Anonymous

wiggintona said:
He beat up on a couple of locals that rank 1st and 3rd on the US MTB points.

You might want to think before posting your 2385th post.

come on Troll eat the food.

Oh, well that makes them what, maybe the 3000th and 3003rd fittest cyclists in the world. Wow, quite a feat indeed...my bad