• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong bullying Cunego at the Giro

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
It appears that most have not noticed the incident which happened at this year's Giro. It was reported only by Julian Dean in his blog:http://www.juliandean.co.nz/diary.php?dType=archive.

In Dean's words:

Story of the day goes to Lance, who at one point was having it out with Cunego as they were fighting for position mid-way through the race. Cunego goes by the nickname in Italy, 'The Prince'. All the Italians seem to have dorkie nicknames, such as the 'Dolphin' or 'Cricket'. Anyway, after squabbling back and forth to each other, in all his anger and frustration, Lance turned to Cunego and said, "I'll crush you, little Prince!". I had to laugh my **** off as
it just sounded like something that had come straight out of a fairytale book.

I wonder if Dean's report of this supposedly "comic" event really reveals everything. Cunego has been saying from the beggining of the Giro that despite his rather weak results, he takes satisfaction in the fact that he is at least riding clean. In this way he was implicitly suggesting that top-level riders are doping. On the other hand, Armstrong is renown for his efforts to protect omerta within peleton (Simeoni). It's hard to understand why should Lance, who was already at that time out of competition for GC, fight with Cunego for position in the middle of the stage, and why would he be so angered and frustrated. I think it might be the case that Lance was trying to enforce omerta on Cunego, and when Cunego didn't back down, he became angered, hence Lance's comment.
What you think about this?

Ok on the analysis, but "dorky" in regards to Italian nicknames is in respect to an Anglo perspective, which has hardly any bearing in the native culture. Bettini, for example, was called "il Grillo" (the Cricket) for his constant and super rapid acceletations which gave serious problems to his rivals when he was on his game.

In any case, Armstrong's comportment is so true to his character. The man is simply a high school bully and has always behaved in the same adolescent manner.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
About the nicknames....believe me that to us non-native english speakers, the tendency to call Wiggins "Wiggo" and Dean "Deano" and other similar english language nickname tendencies....sound immensely more corny ;)

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Ok on the analysis, but "dorky" in regards to Italian nicknames is in respect to an Anglo perspective, which has hardly any bearing in the native culture. Bettini, for example, was called "il Grillo" (the Cricket) for his constant and super rapid acceletations which gave serious problems to his rivals when he was on his game.

Yes, Dean is showing disrespect here. "Dolphin" and "Prince" are also not even full, real nicknames of Italian riders; it's "Il Delfino di Bibbione" (Pelizotti) and "Il Piccolo Principe" (Cunego)

Rorschach_blot_01.jpg

Look, a photo of Armstrong taking drugs!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Good analysis Gregory. Seems very logical, and likely exactly what happened. Though I'm sure the Lance fans will have a spin for it.
Well I wouldn't necessarily regard myself as an out-and-out Lance fan (although I am an admirer), but rather than putting my own spin on it I will take issue with the one the Gregory has put on it.

Julian Dean doesn't tell us anything of what caused the argument beyond "fighting for position," nor what the argument actually entailed beyond vague "squabbling." We don't know if Dean's account intends to be perfectly accurate or to imply jest. So, we have an argument of which we don't really know the context or the content, and that has been extrapolated into Lance enforcing the doping omertà on Damiano Cunego.

I think some kind of prize for tenuous links is in order.

It is also ridiculous to describe Dean's derision for Italian nicknames as disrespectful. It's just an opinion, one every bit as valid as saying "Wiggo" or "Spartacus" are ridiculous names. There is no difference between the full or shortened versions of the nickname, either.

"Hah, 'The Prince', what a stupid nickna...- oh, 'The Little Prince'. That's much less stupid."

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I would think that when Armstrong is no longer a threat to anyone financially, or in a sporting sense the truth will come out. And ARmstrong will probably come out of it worst than most. He'll go from looking like Mother Teresa to Saddaam Hussein.

Cunego probably can't say anything now as he is still riding and I suspect doped during his first Giro win, then later stopped.

Gregory said:
It appears that most have not noticed the incident which happened at this year's Giro. It was reported only by Julian Dean in his blog:http://www.juliandean.co.nz/diary.php?dType=archive.

In Dean's words:

I wonder if Dean's report of this supposedly "comic" event really reveals everything. Cunego has been saying from the beggining of the Giro that despite his rather weak results, he takes satisfaction in the fact that he is at least riding clean. In this way he was implicitly suggesting that top-level riders are doping. On the other hand, Armstrong is renown for his efforts to protect omerta within peleton (Simeoni). It's hard to understand why should Lance, who was already at that time out of competition for GC, fight with Cunego for position in the middle of the stage, and why would he be so angered and frustrated. I think it might be the case that Lance was trying to enforce omerta on Cunego, and when Cunego didn't back down, he became angered, hence Lance's comment.
What you think about this?

Perhaps crushing the little prince would be a bit too harsh, maybe putting him under a spell, sending him to sleep for a thousand years would be better?:)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I must admit - this is just speculation of the highest order.

However one thing it does show - if the quote given is believed to be true - is that Armstrong still feels he has the 'power' to call out riders and that those who step out of line, for whatever reason can expect to earn his wrath.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Gregory said:
Yes, Dean is showing disrespect here. "Dolphin" and "Prince" are also not even full, real nicknames of Italian riders; it's "Il Delfino di Bibbione" (Pelizotti) and "Il Piccolo Principe" (Cunego)

I have met Julz a few times and while I don't know him that well, I have to say that he's a hell of a nice guy and that I honestly doubt that there was any intention to offend.

You have to remember that Julz is writing primarily for a NZ based audience - and to those people, many of whom follow his site because he's a Kiwi sportsman doing well on the international stage rather than because they are cycling fans, the nicknames would sound weird. (Most Kiwis aren't as wordly as the tourism advertising would have you believe ... but don't get me started ...)

Another thing to remember when you read his site is how Kiwis use the language. (No smart **** responses from Aussies thanks!!) Kiwis often use intense words and phrases but with a much softer meaning/intent. I mean, it's not uncommon to call a really good friend a "dork" or an "arsehole" and actually mean it as a term of endearment. Serious ...

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
About the nicknames....believe me that to us non-native english speakers, the tendency to call Wiggins "Wiggo" and Dean "Deano" and other similar english language nickname tendencies....sound immensely more corny ;)

I think Twiggo is more appropriate after this weeks photos.

issoisso said:

And you shall now be known to all the Brits, Aussies and kiwis as
Issoisso -o, brilliant, it really roles of the tongue well:D

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes people in the peloton have fights. Like when Daddy used to come home with whiskey and cheap cigars on his breath smelling of that *****'s perfume from down the street? Doesn't mean father was exacting revenge on mother for taking a hard line against performance enhancing drugs.

lol

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Johnny Colnago said:
Sometimes people in the peloton have fights. Like when Daddy used to come home with whiskey and cheap cigars on his breath smelling of that *****'s perfume from down the street? Doesn't mean father was exacting revenge on mother for taking a hard line against performance enhancing drugs.

lol

Always thought it was a bit wierd when dad called mom "my prince"

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Good analysis Gregory. Seems very logical, and likely exactly what happened. Though I'm sure the Lance fans will have a spin for it.

I have a spin for it: Big Deal!!

This is bike racing not croquet. "I'll crush you my little Prince"...wow how callous, that evil Armstrong. That sort of comment wouldn't be worthy of mention in any bike race I've been in and I've been in a lot. I'm glad that poor Mr Cunego doesn't play Cricket or Soccer, he would never cope with the sledging!! lol.

You will note that Deano thought it was a funny comment, which is how most of the guys in the bunch would have responded. I bet it wasn't half as bad as what Cancellara was saying to Cadel in the breakaway.

Come on guys this is a mans sport, harden up for goodness sake. Or is it just because it was LA that said it;)

Skip Madness said:
"Hah, 'The Prince', what a stupid nickna...- oh, 'The Little Prince'. That's much less stupid."

The Little Prince or Le Petit Prince in original is the famous novel by French aviator Antoine de Saint-Exupéry ( published during WWII ). Book has same title as main character and here is a drawing from a book
180px-The_Little_Prince.jpg

Does this look familiar to you ?

P.S. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing ... :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS