• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong bullying Cunego at the Giro

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm not quite sure where your aggression is coming from. I defended Julian Dean's right to call non-English-language nicknames "dorkie" just as he or anyone else has a right to call English-language nicknames dorkie.

Then, when you posted an illustration of the little prince (from a book which, as you correctly assume, I am not familiar with), it amused me that (a) you thought that image would have any relevance to me; and (b) you thought that it somehow makes it obvious why "the little prince" is Cunego's nickname. It's a funny little picture in that context.

It's impressive that you're able to draw a conclusion of someone's intellect based on that.

I think Italian nicknames sounds more stylish in Italian.

On the main subject: This wouldn't be a surprise from LA and it is tempting to accept this possible version if you don't like the guy, but we do lack a lot of context to accurately judge this. Maybe LA just doesn't like St Exupery for all we know.

Is there any other info from another source that could give us pieces to the puzzle? A quick Google search directed me to other cycling forums with the same speculation.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Skip Madness said:
I'm not quite sure where your aggression is coming from. I defended Julian Dean's right to call non-English-language nicknames "dorkie" just as he or anyone else has a right to call English-language nicknames dorkie.

Then, when you posted an illustration of the little prince (from a book which, as you correctly assume, I am not familiar with), it amused me that (a) you thought that image would have any relevance to me; and (b) you thought that it somehow makes it obvious why "the little prince" is Cunego's nickname. It's a funny little picture in that context.

It's impressive that you're able to draw a conclusion of someone's intellect based on that.

Nah he's right. You dumb. Trying to defend yourself ain't helping things either chief.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Johnny Colnago said:
Nah he's right. You dumb. Trying to defend yourself ain't helping things either chief.
Perhaps you could explain how I am dumb, rather than just sniping. Who knows, I might learn something from someone as enlightened as yourself.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Gregory said:
It appears that most have not noticed the incident which happened at this year's Giro. It was reported only by Julian Dean in his blog:http://www.juliandean.co.nz/diary.php?dType=archive.

In Dean's words:

I wonder if Dean's report of this supposedly "comic" event really reveals everything. Cunego has been saying from the beggining of the Giro that despite his rather weak results, he takes satisfaction in the fact that he is at least riding clean. In this way he was implicitly suggesting that top-level riders are doping. On the other hand, Armstrong is renown for his efforts to protect omerta within peleton (Simeoni). It's hard to understand why should Lance, who was already at that time out of competition for GC, fight with Cunego for position in the middle of the stage, and why would he be so angered and frustrated. I think it might be the case that Lance was trying to enforce omerta on Cunego, and when Cunego didn't back down, he became angered, hence Lance's comment.
What you think about this?

I think it IS comic and hardly an 'incident' of note. Come on, if you overheard 'I'll crush you, Little Prince' in the middle of a race, you'd have to laugh too. And to extrapolate a bit of middle-of-the-race sledging into a sinister standover tactic about drugs is making mountains out of molehills.

Funny story though, thanks for sharing. Made me smile anyway.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It is funny, however, LA has never really given Cunego any respect. His comments regarding his ability to win the Tour before last years event...the fact that Cunego is riding as a clean rider...maybe more to it. I think if this was such a common thing...Dean would not have even mentioned it. The fact that he did says something. Does Dean get along with LA? Curious? Is he making fun of the nickname or Armstrongs bully behavior?

. It's hard to understand why should Lance, who was already at that time out of competition for GC, fight with Cunego for position in the middle of the stage
Interesting take, you do recall that Cunego was nearly 13 minutes back of LA don't you? Maybe the question could be asked in reverse? Not that I'm defending LA, but lots of folks on here seem to like to make the facts fit their arguement rather than the other way around.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lance Armstrong's nickname should be the 'Grim Reaper'. Not does he only look like him, he has returned to cycling after his retirement (death) to bully, cut down and claim more victims of the peleton. Greg Lemond wasn't enough for him.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
I would think that when Armstrong is no longer a threat to anyone financially, or in a sporting sense the truth will come out. And ARmstrong will probably come out of it worst than most. He'll go from looking like Mother Teresa to Saddaam Hussein.

I AGREE! We might have to wait some time though.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Does Dean get along with LA? Curious? Is he making fun of the nickname or Armstrongs bully behavior?

I'm sure he is laughing at what LA said - not making fun of the nickname.

He's explaining to fellow kiwi's that the nickname might SEEM dorky to us - but its normal for Italians (i.e. not dorky). Then he gets back to his main story with "Anyway...."

Check out what kiwirider said too.

TRENDING THREADS