• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong claims solo Nevada victory

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Anyone knnow what bike Lancce and Levi were riding?? Looked like all black road frames, much more traditional without the aero seat mast? They looked fast.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I'd have started the article "The Three Stooges — Lance Armstrong, Levi Leipheimer and Chris Horner – showed up for another USA domestic race...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Deadset Horner and LL (I know Lance uses a private jet, or at least he used to) must cost Astana so much in airfares in travelling between America and Europe. Do a few races and travel back to the States and then fly back and race a little bit more and travel back. Crash and injury yourself, fly back to America. It must be quite the hassle to travel back and forth between the two continents. I suppose Horner is sort of justified as he has a family back in America.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
bikeGURU said:
Anyone knnow what bike Lancce and Levi were riding?? Looked like all black road frames, much more traditional without the aero seat mast? They looked fast.

My guess: 2010 Madone frames. Trek introduced the current Madone during the Tour (if my recollection is correct), so I would guess we will see these 2010 bikes in a few weeks time under the Astana riders as well.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Deadset Horner and LL (I know Lance uses a private jet, or at least he used to) must cost Astana so much in airfares in travelling between America and Europe. Do a few races and travel back to the States and then fly back and race a little bit more and travel back. Crash and injury yourself, fly back to America. It must be quite the hassle to travel back and forth between the two continents. I suppose Horner is sort of justified as he has a family back in America.

And the point of this post is? :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

hfer07 said:
Good for him!!
Does this victory improve his chances to win the tour? !!NO!!

It sure doesn't hurt his chances, does it?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Nevada City

I think it is an insult to all the local riders for these three to do what they did. I now hope they get their butts kicked in the TDF. Shame on them.

A

Anonymous

rick bensco said:
I think it is an insult to all the local riders for these three to do what they did. I now hope they get their butts kicked in the TDF. Shame on them.

Yes, shame on them for giving exposure to USA cycling.

The shameful Greg Lemond won it before too.

---------
Duane Strawser, president of the Nevada City Chamber of Commerce, and his wife, Connie, can largely be credited with the modern-day revival of the race. Owners of the local bike shop, the Strawsers have been motivated more by love than by prestige or profits.

“Of course it’s ironic that we have worked so hard to secure media exposure over the years, largely in vain, and are now getting an overwhelming amount of attention with Lance here,” said Strawser. “But that’s how it works and we’re naturally delighted about it.”

According to some locals, in the 1970s the race enjoyed an enthusiasm and festive atmosphere like that seen on Sunday, due in no small part to the appearance of the Astana trio.

Nevada City Classic: Tom Ritchey leads "back in the day."
Photo: File photo
“It feels now like it did decades ago,” said longtime race volunteer Molly Breen, a resident of the area since the ‘60s and of Nevada City since the ‘70s.

----

Astana is so evil... i wonder if all the children are accounted for. :eek:

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
What did they do with their prizemoney? If they forewent it to the locals, then its great they turned up. If not...

I seriously doubt they kept prize money after flying to the race from Aspen in a private jet. Lance is not a public relations novice, you know.

A

Anonymous

karlboss said:
What did they do with their prizemoney? If they forewent it to the locals, then its great they turned up. If not...

Rest assured... they don't take the money.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
That did not stop him from taking race start money everyone assumed would go to his cancer foundation and putting it in his pocket.

Assumes facts not in evidence.