• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong / Contador Friction, real or not?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
This is not exactly recent events and maybe someone else asked this question, but I was wondering if anyone else thought that possibly the apparent friction between Lance and Alberto may have been staged?

I know Lance likes the keep people guessing, his faked exhaustion in one TdF being an example. I thought maybe all this talk about friction within Astana and between him and Contador might have been faked. The possible friction between the two is a great story line, draws media and attention to cycling, possible makes other teams think about things other than strategy.

My main reason for thinking this could be true is this, everything Bruyneel and Lance have done always seems calculated and professional. Why would Bruyneel be talking outwardly to media, addressing friction within the team? Why not just answer that question with "It's an internal matter and we don't discuss those". Same with Lance, I never thought he would even answer some of the questions that have been posed to him, but he has.

Anyway if the friction is real at least there is an interesting storyline and drama outside of the usual drug references. Let's hope this years tour has no positive tests to change that.

Zerotrek said:
This is not exactly recent events and maybe someone else asked this question, but I was wondering if anyone else thought that possibly the apparent friction between Lance and Alberto may have been staged?

I know Lance likes the keep people guessing, his faked exhaustion in one TdF being an example. I thought maybe all this talk about friction within Astana and between him and Contador might have been faked. The possible friction between the two is a great story line, draws media and attention to cycling, possible makes other teams think about things other than strategy.

My main reason for thinking this could be true is this, everything Bruyneel and Lance have done always seems calculated and professional. Why would Bruyneel be talking outwardly to media, addressing friction within the team? Why not just answer that question with "It's an internal matter and we don't discuss those". Same with Lance, I never thought he would even answer some of the questions that have been posed to him, but he has.

Anyway if the friction is real at least there is an interesting storyline and drama outside of the usual drug references. Let's hope this years tour has no positive tests to change that.

Would you ever consider "fake rivalry" when somebody out of retirement tries to take over the leadership that you have earned for the last 3 years?

Zerotrek said:

Very real.

A

Anonymous

i blame the normans...

not THE normans...
norman-1.jpg

but wisdom
norman-wisdom-sized.jpg

tebbit
1.jpg

and greg
Greg%20Norman.jpg

Simple really, if Lance wins there will of course have been friction.

If Contador wins, then the LA/Hog line will be they deliberately created this false friction and Lance was behind Alberto all the way, kinda like Hinault in 86

Of course most of us knows there is definite friction.

A

Anonymous

some of us have given up caring.. .i think astana, lance and alberto should be added to the censor filter thingy :D

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Definitely agree its real. Contador made a number of comments prior from January on that suggested he was not happy and that he wanted to leave Astana. JB said at the time that AC was under contract and they would nto let him go. AC's unhappy comments have continued since January all the way up to the start of the Tour. About the only time he seemed to be happy was when LA crashed in March. He also allegedly had an agreement to join Garmin with Paulinho and Noval if Astana had folded as expected while the rest of Astana would be forming a new team. He made some comments after stage 3 questioning if JB was fixing the game for LA. LA has made some comments since stage 7 acknowledging all is not well and that stated that he was not happy with Contador's actions. Levi made some comments after stage 7 letting people know that Contador was wrong for attacking. JB implied that Contador was disciplined for his stage 7 attack and admitted it was against team orders and that it has caused some division in the team.

But then again what do you expect. You have four riders that could win this tour and who have worked quite hard to get to this point.

But its certainly not as Bad as Lemond-Hinault nor as nasty in terms of public comments. Most of the comments are not overt but just point to there being problems. All in all they are pretty professional with their comments. But reading between the lines there is some division. But they are professionals and will do their job. LA seemed to accept losing if the team fight prevents him from contesting the race when he said the other day "there is always next year."

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Zerotrek said:

I've been wondering this for some time. It's brought great publicity and recognition to Lance and the team. Plus, if it prevented an attack or two from other teams hoping to wait for an implosion, then it worked, right?

IMO, Lance and Bruyneel have pretty much made it clear recently. They expect Lance or Contador to win, but the priority is that ONE of them win. I think the team, Lance and Contador are all riding to put them out in front, and let them battle on Ventoux. Lance lost a few seconds choosing to go early in the prologue, got some back on that split, and then strikes me almost as a quid-pro-quo when Contador attacked and gained time. The two are relatively equal, but have gained time on rivals. I have a sneaky feeling Lance and Contador will work together to mark attacks of their rivals, setting up for the battle on Ventoux.

I also think that, realistically, wearing yellow was maybe all Lance really ever dreamed of accomplishing, which is why they went hard for it a few times. And if Lance can hang on until the ITT, he may be in yellow (well, for a day).

It makes for a less exciting Tour overall, but that last battle on Ventoux could be epic! Really don't know if Lance can hang, or how much time he may gain (or not) in the ITT. I think I see Lance chasing Contador desperately trying to protect precious few seconds. Will it be enough? Don't know, but don't underestimate the guy.

A

Anonymous

Its like a freaking soap opera. Quite frankly my dears, I just don't give a damn.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Of course the friction is real. You have two Tour champions on the same team, and each clearly wants and can win again.

Friction/competition, yes. I disagree it's a distraction. But I don't think Contador has been hand-cuffed as some claim. I think the strategy and team is riding to deliver both the opportunity, and both have thus far been set-up quite nicely.

I think the only point of real debate is who/how the team rides for on Ventoux. Will they be neutral for the two, split, or ride for Lance? When one attacks, will they help pull the other up? Or will they thin the field to the base of Ventoux and then say "have at it, boys"?

objective skeptic said:
Friction/competition, yes. I disagree it's a distraction. But I don't think Contador has been hand-cuffed as some claim. I think the strategy and team is riding to deliver both the opportunity, and both have thus far been set-up quite nicely.

I think the only point of real debate is who/how the team rides for on Ventoux. Will they be neutral for the two, split, or ride for Lance? When one attacks, will they help pull the other up? Or will they thin the field to the base of Ventoux and then say "have at it, boys"?
Not just Ventoux, however. Who rides for whom on Verbier, and even tomorrow?

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Its like a freaking soap opera. Quite frankly my dears, I just don't give a damn.

i agree

psychlist said:
Agreed 100%.

oops.. im getting my lance/alberto threads muddled up..

can a mod PLEASE merge these two threads.. :/ or close one..

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Not just Ventoux, however. Who rides for whom on Verbier, and even tomorrow?

I get that. I just having a feeling Lance, AC and Astana are going to work together to mark all attacks. I think both will put time on main rivals in the ITT and then it's down to the best man.

I really don't believe AC is going to attack because he doesn't need to and it makes strategic sense to mark his competitors. If he believes he is strong in the ITT and ride away from Lance, then he just needs to mark the other main guys.

I think if attacks are launched, you will see Lance and AC working together to mark the guys, if the rest of the train is dropped. Does AC then launch a counter-attack? Possibly, but if he believes as most here that Armstrong has little chance of beating him then there's no real reason to expend the energy. Put on you AC "evil genius" cap and it can only help him to have LA chasing that dangling carrot because LA will kill himself to stay in contact to have a shot at yellow, possibly the tour, in the ITT and Ventoux.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
In the end i think they'll settle like all good arguments get setted by two people that won't back down, bare chested in the car park covered in baby oil, mano a mano. My money's on Lance i bet he's a dirty fighter

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
It is FAKE!!!!
Armstrong is team leader. Contador will work for him.
If something goes wrong for Armstrong like a crash or a 'jour sans', then Contador can step up and take it.
Other than that, this is all to get more media attention on Armstrong and Astana.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Well, if the friction was staged, you will see Contador riding for Livestrong next year.

And, yes, that is a cow flying over the moon!

TRENDING THREADS