• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong: Contador is "nervous"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, this is shaping up to be quite an ugly Tour. Exciting, but ugly. If Lance is strong enough to challenge Contrador, the team will splinter. Certainly not a good thing for Astana's future relationship with Contador.

Up until recently, I thought Lance's plan was to try and win the Giro and then help Contador win. Now it's becoming much clearer that he intends to challenge Bert.

Top 10 in the Giro and then peak for the Tour? Not exactly the plan for a domestique.

No Gifts.

laacoldskool.jpg

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I'm sure all the above was typed in between loud belches from guzzling a pitcher of the Armstrong kool-aid.

Armstrong said the same thing about Ullrich before surgically dismantling him for 7 years straight. He said that Pantani was the world's greatest climber just before chasing him down as if attached to a race moto on one of Pantani's many attacks. This before gapping Pantani significantly on the beginning of Mount Ventoux, only to have Pantani valiantly bridge back up to Armstrong, along with Armstrong drop everyone and nip him at the line for the summit win. Oh, he felt the need to let the press know that he let the greatest climber in the world, or "sh*t starter" as he called him, win the stage.

Mind games aplenty. That kool-aid is tainted.

Ha ha! I'm not "pro" or "anti" Armstrong really, just pointing out that people may be reading a bit too much into the Paris-Nice line-up and outcome (and Lance's qoute).

I'll personally be astonished if Lance can challenge Contador this summer and think Astana will eventually put their eggs in Bertie's basket for the Tdf. Just my personal opinion.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
schadenfreude said:
No Gifts.

laacoldskool.jpg

great...and exactly how it will be. LA has said the Astana connection is only because he would not ride in a team other than Bruyneel...so no loyalty at all to the team Astana win IMO. His ego will never allow him to help Contador and his comments re Contador leave me incredulous...how can a guy who as had the last 18 months Contador has be subject to any criticism?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Contador biggest mistake was riding for this team. We all know how the cards will play out here. Lance can only ride for a team designed around him, this is how it's been and will be.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
jbraum said:
Contador biggest mistake was riding for this team. We all know how the cards will play out here. Lance can only ride for a team designed around him, this is how it's been and will be.

exactly...I hope Contador recovers well from paris Nice and gives Lance a good beating in Spain in a few weeks in the stage race they're in.

homewrecker said:
Doesn't anyone question Contador's meteoric rise to time trialing greatness? I will lay out a prediction that he will be involved in some drug connection soon...another tainted Tour de France connection. I just don't see this 140 lb guy being able to crank like that naturally.

Meteoric??? Did you know that he's won more races against the clock on the road over the course of his career than Bradley Wiggins? As easy as it is to find foundation for ones statements yours are obviously based more on issues of a personal nature and not the facts.

Leipheimer at 135 can "crank like that naturally" so the weight isn't a factor.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
homewrecker said:
Doesn't anyone question Contador's meteoric rise to time trialing greatness? I will lay out a prediction that he will be involved in some drug connection soon...another tainted Tour de France connection. I just don't see this 140 lb guy being able to crank like that naturally.

Guess what, Andreas Kloden is 140lb/63.5kg too. He came in second after Cancellara at the TdF 2007 Prologue (7.9k) in London, and was lightyears ahead (10s) of Bradley Wiggins.

For your reference however, in 2008 Contador won the prologue (9km) at the Vuelta a Castilla y Leon before Leipheimer. In the same year he beat Thomas Dekker and Cadel Evans in the Vuelta Ciclista al País Vasco 20km TT. He came in 2nd in the 39.4km TT in the Giro 2008 before guys like Kloden, Menchov and Leipheimer. He was 4th in the 40km TT of the Vuelta a Espana 2008, which Leipheimer (not one of te heaviest people in the pack) won. From what I remember, he wasn't a horrible TT/prologue rider when he started cycling either.

just so that we get the facts straight...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for LA

This type of coments is bad for his image, he is a great champion but alberto is the future, I supore Alberto and think that the paris - niza its goin to be a great experience for him.

Albero eres el mejor y Lance lo fue pero por el bien del ciclismo espero ver lo mejor de ti en este y los siguientes años.:p

This is just to show how predictible Armstrong really is, in the begining of his return he was mellow about wanting to be leader, but now July is near and he wants to start his mind games I guess everybody knew he wasn't going to allow Contador to be leader, for two very important reasons: first because his ego wouldn't allow it, and second because he came back in the first place
to chip away a year or two to contador, remeber he won the first TDF at age 28 and Contador got it at 24 he'll be dammed if he allows AC to ruin his legacy. I guess this will be a good opportunity to see if Contador really has the physic and mental goods to be a champion.

ygames said:
Lance Armstrong, Alberto Contador and Levi Leipheimer are on the short list!
.......FACT

Everyone always leaves Kloden off of this list for some reason :(

When you compare his performances in grand tours to Leipheimer's I think Kloden wins. (But I also don't think he's interested in riding for his own glory--he's always eager to work for someone else--so he doesn't ever get much credit as a top contender.)

Anywho, here's what I can recall off the top of my head:

Kloden: 2nd at TdF in 2004 and 2006
Leipheimer: 3rd at TdF 2007; 2nd at Vuelta 2008

Anyone familiar with the history of these riders/races can fill in all the extra details themselves, but I think the results kind of speak for themselves...

I am stunned by the naivity expressed, here.

Many said it on his comeback announcement, whilst Contador dithered on severing his Bruyneel ties.
As long as Lance can get onto his bike, he will be the leader.
You can't surround two men, with a protective 8-man bubble, for 3 weeks.
Armstrong owns Bruyneel.
Just look at how Johan got to where he is, today.

If Contador rocks the boat, he will be given the Floyd treatment.

mr. tibbs said:

When you compare his performances in grand tours to Leipheimer's I think Kloden wins. (But I also don't think he's interested in riding for his own glory--he's always eager to work for someone else--so he doesn't ever get much credit as a top contender.)

Anywho, here's what I can recall off the top of my head:

Kloden: 2nd at TdF in 2004 and 2006

Leipheimer: 3rd at TdF 2007; 2nd at Vuelta 2008

Anyone familiar with the history of these riders/races can fill in all the extra details themselves, but I think the results kind of speak for themselves...

the vertically and charismatically challenged rider from montana also got 3rd in the 2001 vuleta.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Off-base

Armstrong is absolutely right in what he said about Contador. I don't think it was inflammatory either, just an honest assessment, and perhaps suggestive of something Contador could do to improve. Lance has been a *** before, but sorry, not this time.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
jayjaynng said:
I had understood and hoped that Lance would concentrate on riding and winning the Gyro for the first time for himself, and then help Alberto to win the Tour de France. maybe he's just keeping the other riders guessing as to what his true Gyro plans are . . .

Lance doesn't need much to win a gYro: all he needs is 3 bucks and directions to the next best Greek restaurant.

Seriously, you're attacking L'Equipe's journalistic cred, yet you don't know how to spell the name of the sport's second biggest event?
It's gIro friend, and it's not a typo if you misspell it twice.

This just confirms once and for all that with Lance fans it's not so much denial but sheer ignorance that allows them to go on believing the fairy tale.

Go spend an hour or two learning about the last two decades of pharmaceutical use in cycling and then get back to me on whether you still believe L'Equipe is just "out to get" poor Lance.

As Jan Ullrich said this month to Bild Magazine, "For those who still can't add up one plus one and figure out what's gone wrong in cycling, they're totally beyond my help."

ygames

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
porterhouse said:
Armstrong is absolutely right in what he said about Contador. I don't think it was inflammatory either, just an honest assessment, and perhaps suggestive of something Contador could do to improve. Lance has been a *** before, but sorry, not this time.

...A man with some insight...well said!!! ;)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
2wheels said:
Guys like Contador and Horner are too classy to be with a team like Astana; hope they wind up elsewhere.
Wait. When has Contador been considered classy? :confused:

IMO the only reason he wanted to race Vuelta a Castilla y León with Armstrong is because he realized Armstrong is stronger than everyone anticipated, and is nervous that he's not the top dog.

Considering how many star riders Astana has, is anyone truly surprised something like this is happening?

mr. tibbs said:
That's what happens when you're a quiet rider who has served most of your career in service of others. :(

ygames

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Shogun said:
Wait. When has Contador been considered classy? :confused:

IMO the only reason he wanted to race Vuelta a Castilla y León with Armstrong is because he realized Armstrong is stronger than everyone anticipated, and is nervous that he's not the top dog.

Considering how many star riders Astana has, is anyone truly surprised something like this is happening?

That's what happens when you're a quiet rider who has served most of your career in service of others. :(

,,, well i know Chris Horner... and trust me he is happy to be on Astana its a dream come true for him,,,

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
ygames said:
,,, well i know Chris Horner... and trust me he is happy to be on Astana its a dream come true for him,,,
Oh, I never doubted whether or not he's happy on team Astana.

If that's where he wants to ride, and is having fun doing it, then more power to him.

Armstrong once again playing the mind game- but he's got to remember to whom he's applying the tricks to- nonetheless his own team mate and his team for that matter. - Let's hope he won't bonk or get isolated somewhere between the Giro & the Tour
The deceiving game started by dropping Catlin out of the so called "irrefutable anti-doping program" - then his declarations to the press about fitness & willingness to work for others have become clearly a savvy. So the old day ways have returned--tough call for Johan if he believes that by bringing back the past he's going to move Astana forward, because Lance won't last more than two years,Levi has the same time length as much as Kloden-and this none sense is making Alberto start looking more likely for a new team.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Road to Maturity

Alberto should have won P-N even with the team he had. Just as Lance bonked, loosing focus because of Pantani, Alberto lost focus with LL Sanchez. Alberto has won and can win again the big tours. Bruynel will support the rider with the stongest (both physical and mental) form. Lance just wants the kid to be the best. Which doesn't include everyone KHA when Alberto boneheads.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Slapshot said:
Berto should have found a new team last year as soon as the Second Coming of St Pharmstrong was announced, hell will freeze over before the Hog will support Berto before Pharmstrong. Shame, if pharmstrong would just keep his gob shut more people would like him but then again his Ego wouldn't allow that..

Yeah, Armstrong is gonna try to punk Contador out. I think the Paris-Nice loss might turn out to be good for Contador, however. He may train harder than ever before to destroy Armstrong in the mountains--and I believe he can do it if he rides like he did against Rasmussen in aught 7...But then again, he had team support with Levi, Popo et al. 2009? Probably not.

ygames

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Clueless Post

hfer07 said:
Armstrong once again playing the mind game- but he's got to remember to whom he's applying the tricks to- nonetheless his own team mate and his team for that matter. - Let's hope he won't bonk or get isolated somewhere between the Giro & the Tour
The deceiving game started by dropping Catlin out of the so called "irrefutable anti-doping program" - then his declarations to the press about fitness & willingness to work for others have become clearly a savvy. So the old day ways have returned--tough call for Johan if he believes that by bringing back the past he's going to move Astana forward, because Lance won't last more than two years,Levi has the same time length as much as Kloden-and this none sense is making Alberto start looking more likely for a new team.

LOOK GUYS,,,, a team will always put its strongest rider as Leader for a race like the Tour De France ...if Alberto is better then Lance in July then he will lead,,,if not then Lance will lead. ( THE TEAM WANTS A TOUR WIN )
who the leader is does not matter. The goal for any team in cycling is to support the rider with the best chance to win...

TEAM MANAGEMENT WILL ALWAYS DO WHATS BEST FOR THE (Sponsor)
awww O_O hmmm the Sponsor ,,,you bone heads forgot the Sponsor!!!

THE SPONSOR SETS THE RULES FOR WHAT THE TEAM IS TO DO!
got it!!!! ,,,so your i'll Drama Quest with Lance and Alberto is all in
your head and in your case lack there of ,,,:p

Armstrong is not playing mind games ,,,LMAO as if he needs to !!!

The fact is Alberto blew his chance to win in Paris-Nice last week last week!
( Contador made a rookie move ) and lost because of it...
GOT IT ? geezzz let it go

TRENDING THREADS