• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong To Be Monitored during TdF

A

Anonymous

i thought that, then i deciding although not doping it was likely to become doping....

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Just found this on the BBC

French sports minister says lance will be "particularly, particularly, particularly monitored"
French Doping Agency say "he will be treated like any other rider.."

Which ones telling the truth, or are they both...

bbc> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8132867.stm

le pont> http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...ce+armstrong&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=c3K

I would have thought that 34 tests in six months was particularly, particularly monitored?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Doesnt matter... He's been using PEDs not listed on the banned list. He's also blood doping with his own previously frozen packed red cells right now.

There's no total body hemoglobin (no red cell labeling) no startline crit checks...Nada. You see if they were going to "monitor" the Tour field the least they could do, the absolute least is to take startline crits.

Lance starts early to avoid the windy afternoon, Sastre starts later in the windy conditions. :( I live on a coastal area similar to this, they are playing their tactics right with the wind. Damn it...

BigBoat said:
Lance starts early to avoid the windy afternoon, Sastre starts later in the windy conditions. :( I live on a coastal area similar to this, they are playing their tactics right with the wind. Damn it...

Dont know if you dont know the time conversions but Armstrong set off at 1600 local time while Sastre went at 1900. At 1600 the wind speeds at Nice and Cap ferrat were 5 and 6mph, at 1900 they were 3 and 2mph.

A

Anonymous

BigBoat said:
Doesnt matter... He's been using PEDs not listed on the banned list. He's also blood doping with his own previously frozen packed red cells right now.

There's no total body hemoglobin (no red cell labeling) no startline crit checks...Nada. You see if they were going to "monitor" the Tour field the least they could do, the absolute least is to take startline crits.

define your startline crit for us.

A

Anonymous

BigBoat said:

what is this startline crit you're talking about.. we've been through hemoglobin mass test already.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Dont know if you dont know the time conversions but Armstrong set off at 1600 local time while Sastre went at 1900. At 1600 the wind speeds at Nice and Cap ferrat were 5 and 6mph, at 1900 they were 3 and 2mph.

Yeah and that might explain the faster times towards the end. It did seem odd that Lance & Leipheimer were a bit off.

jackhammer111 said:
what is this startline crit you're talking about.. we've been through hemoglobin mass test already.

They could get 10 "vampires" out on the starting line of the race (the "start village" area and with little cb syringes get tiny 4cc blood samples from the riders (like the entire top 10 on G.C.) and when the riders leave spin the samples up in a centrifuge and get quick crit readings to see if the riders are blood doping, hemodiluting for a.m. controls and thus urinating off the fluids before the start. Smart cats like Lance might come to the "off" full of IV saline but maybe they could catch a few.

The UCI wont touch this idea with a 10-foot pole because its bad PR to be testing the riders in front of large crowds (making it look like their all doped and its an emergency situation, last ditch type effort to stop blood doping.)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Probably the most 'positive' aspect of Armstrong's return, is that he has continued to accumulate doping controls. It is hard to claim that he didn't get the most sophisticated testing, as opposed to leaving the sport when it wasn't so much. Add in his podium finish last year, impressive spring results, and ability to finish the tour this year....as comparitive return.

scribe said:
Probably the most 'positive' aspect of Armstrong's return, is that he has continued to accumulate doping controls. It is hard to claim that he didn't get the most sophisticated testing, as opposed to leaving the sport when it wasn't so much. Add in his podium finish last year, impressive spring results, and ability to finish the tour this year....as comparitive return.

And look at his performance when under scrutiny.

scribe said:
I agree. But it didn't seem to prevent them last year though, both in scrutiny and performance.

um...last year was showergate and coffeegate and afld complaining that uci was treating astana (i.e the hog and armstrong) differently. armstrong only returned when he was assured that the uci would not scrutinize. what a nasty surprise the wada decision was this year. real scrutiny = more natural performance (well below anything during ferrari).

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
And look at his performance when under scrutiny.

And this was his performance as a protected rider with little or no attacking. Comparing his riding with teammates who were certainly under similar scrutiny also speaks volumes. Look at the dropoff in some of the domestiques that were expected to play into the top ten later. Crashes aside, if LA was compelled to care for himself he would have been worse off.

Having said that his response to pressure from an impending investigation and keeping a "brave face" in front of the media was beyond what I expected. Say what you will but that showed some inner discipline/strength or some serious pathology, I'm not sure which.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
um...last year was showergate and coffeegate and afld complaining that uci was treating astana (i.e the hog and armstrong) differently. armstrong only returned when he was assured that the uci would not scrutinize. what a nasty surprise the wada decision was this year. real scrutiny = more natural performance (well below anything during ferrari).

I have no doubt, YOU ARE IN THE KNOW.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:

Having said that his response to pressure from an impending investigation and keeping a "brave face" in front of the media was beyond what I expected. Say what you will but that showed some inner discipline/strength or some serious pathology, I'm not sure which.

it's not like he has not had any practice, the allegations have been going on a long time for LA, it has gotten bigger this year and he did show signs of cracking, making some mistakes in the peloton led to crashes, pedalling over a curb being a biggie, but when you are surrounded by a huge entourage of yes men it does not seem like the world is out to get you does it...?

TRENDING THREADS