• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong + UCI + Cancer

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
danyela said:
What I think most people are forgetting, is that this all happened back when drugs weren't such a big thing in cycling. LA was not nearly as famous as he is now, so it is highly likely he only got tested a few times, and out of those few times, really, what is the likelihood that they tested all of them for HCG?

Or maybe they did know that his values were sky high, but it came out that Lance had cancer, so they didn't worry about it anymore? And why would he sue them anyway? The UCI are there to do drug tests, not cancer tests so it's not their resposibility to let him know really.

They would have worried about it even more when Lance was diagnosed with cancer.

If the procedure was working properly they would have been alerted to lance's cancer way before his started showing symptoms.

It doesn't work that "the more famous you are, the more tests you get". Lance won the semi-classic Fleche Wallone in 1996 - and as the winner, would have been tested. This test would have included a test for HCG. He should have shown highly abnormal readings if this test was actually on his urine (ie. not substituted for someone elses) not manipulated with a masking agent, or if the authorities were actively pursuing strange results for HCG.

If Lance was being honest, and the procedure was working properly, he would have been diagnosed with cancer way before he was coughing up blood.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Oldnell said:
Because the only people who give any credence to L2L and the rest of the libellous venom spewed out by Walsh, Ballester, Kimmage and the like are the sordid conspiracy theorists and LA haters who make up this forum. Get a life!!

Sorry, let me get this straight: you see a post full of facts and evidence, based on a thoroughly researched book, raising serious questions, and you dismiss this immediately as "libellous venom" without being able to even make one constructive comment as to why? And I am the one who is supposed to "get a life?"

Are you a religious fundamentalist by any chance? It's just that I see a lot of parallels with your vapid and fanatic belief in the improbable, backed up by fury, but completely lacking in any evidence or coherent argument.

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oldnell said:
Because the only people who give any credence to L2L and the rest of the libellous venom spewed out by Walsh, Ballester, Kimmage and the like are the sordid conspiracy theorists and LA haters who make up this forum. Get a life!!

Wash and Ballaster and Kimmage and LeMond and Michael Ashenden (see below) and the french press and and and... getting the idea? It's not a short list???

And I would hardly call people who think that LA may have been involved in doping in cycling in the late '90s early '00s as "conspiracy theorists"... This makes it sound as though people who believe that there may be a possibility that LA was not clean as crazy. To me it seems crazy that anyone can be so sure he was clean.

Michael Ashenden
http://velocitynation.com/content/interviews/2009/michael-ashenden

"libellous venom"

well he should sue shouldn't he? I wonder why he doesn't? Is it because he's quite a chilled out guy, not a control freak or anything? Perhaps there's some other reason?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
The term 'conspiracy theorists' always works to put someone away as an out-of-touch crackpot, but it can go both ways. Personally I've felt the suspicions about the doping lab at Chateau Malabry/L'Equipe/WADA/ASO/all French citizens came quite close to a conspiracy theory.

I mean, if you add up a lot of allegations against Armstrong, it all requires the cooperation of a lot of people to be just a bunch of lies.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
danyela said:
What I think most people are forgetting, is that this all happened back when drugs weren't such a big thing in cycling.

That isn't true. There were high profile cases as Theunissen, Delgado and Bugno. The PDM team was also very much discussed at the early 90ies.

And the rumors about Italians/Gewiss were very substantial. It was already quite a bit discussed on television even though the Festina thing truly made the rumor mill actually true revelations.

If my memory serves me right in the early 90ies the undetectable epo problem was recognised, but there was no test. They choose the 50% rule. Steroids and Amphetamines on the other hand were not only well known, they were busting riders on them for years.

A

Anonymous

The Executioner said:
This thread would be more accurate if the title was...

Armstrong + UCI = Cancer

Back up one page. Beat you to it.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Sorry, let me get this straight: you see a post full of facts and evidence, based on a thoroughly researched book, raising serious questions, and you dismiss this immediately as "libellous venom" without being able to even make one constructive comment as to why? And I am the one who is supposed to "get a life?"

Are you a religious fundamentalist by any chance? It's just that I see a lot of parallels with your vapid and fanatic belief in the improbable, backed up by fury, but completely lacking in any evidence or coherent argument.

Don't stress over it. What I've learned about the Lance nut-huggers is that they don't believe in any of the "conspiracy theory's" because they don't want to believe them. There is zero rational thinking involved. They have a romantic attachment to the Lance phenominon, and usually cling to on an obtuse "ïnnocent until proven guilty" principle. Basically just volunteer lackeys for the Armstrong PR machine.

sars1981 said:
Don't stress over it. What I've learned about the Lance nut-huggers is that they don't believe in any of the "conspiracy theory's" because they don't want to believe them. There is zero rational thinking involved. They have a romantic attachment to the Lance phenominon, and usually cling to on an obtuse "ïnnocent until proven guilty" principle. Basically just volunteer lackeys for the Armstrong PR machine.

until they catch someone "dead to rights" they may not be "innocent" but they
are also not "guilty". they being the uci. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS