• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2011
Visit site
reginagold said:
Last day is tomorrow. Any private jets between Austin and the Springs today? It'd be a lot of hours, need both these last two days....

What is the purpose of a hard date for USADA? I don't get that part. If they want the info, wouldn't they welcome it just as much in two days, two weeks, two months, two years? Lance has lifetime ban, it's not getting shorter while he waits to talk.

Aleajactaest said:
What is the purpose of a hard date for USADA? I don't get that part. If they want the info, wouldn't they welcome it just as much in two days, two weeks, two months, two years? Lance has lifetime ban, it's not getting shorter while he waits to talk.

As another post so elegantly described Wonderboy, this is a stimulus-response exercise for him on his way to declaring some sort of victory, real or imagined. USADA isn't playing that game and won't make exceptions to rules the way Wonderboy assumes everything in his life will go.

Do it or not do it and the deadline is tomorrow. He can't be the hero/champion, so one wonders if he's looking for another Doprah instead. He'll get it with a UCI anti-doping hearing, but no one believes that or would tune in anyway.

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The purpose of a hard date for USADA is to save time, money and other resources. You either provide the doping details within a reasonable period of time or you don’t. It serves no purpose to let it drag on indefinitely. Circumstances could also change over time so that info provided at a later date could potentially not be relevant or useful anymore. USADA has established one month as a reasonable period of time for LA to co-operate. LA turns it into a big drama when it really shouldn’t be.

To LA a lifetime ban = death sentence. To USADA = it’s business as usual.

Back to the criminal investigation, I would be surprised if LA provides any doping details to USADA and think the next move will be from DOJ.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Microchip said:
Can't wait! Hoping that Lance spills the beans...all of them!

I would be flabbergasted if Lance spilled to USADA. That would be complete public capitulation to Tygart...ultimate humiliation.

Now that Puerto is in full swing, Lance will not be adding anything really new other than possibly implicating the UCI, which we already know anyway.

His leverage is in a freefall, and the authorities have less and less incentive to cut any deal.

Let him languish in his Austin basement with his Iphone and Twitter account.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
I would be flabbergasted if Lance spilled to USADA. That would be complete public capitulation to Tygart...ultimate humiliation.

Now that Puerto is in full swing, Lance will not be adding anything really new other than possibly implicating the UCI, which we already know anyway.

His leverage is in a freefall, and the authorities have less and less incentive to cut any deal.

I think the extension allowed USADA to completely debunk the Oprah mea culpa for what it was...self serving and incomplete. It has to take political pressure off of them as they apply the final touches to, say; USACycling. If DOJ is going to pursue other matters like obstruction of justice, witness intimidation, etc. that may net the real Weisel.

StyrbjornSterki said:
Excuse my ignorance if this already has been discussed but is anyone hearing rustling that the IRS might be giving LA or the LAF or livestrong its special scrutiny? Might there be tax evasion charges somewhere amongst the slated entertainment?

Hope springs eternal.

Or, was it Hope Rides Again?

Yes, there is some understanding/belief/evidence that LAF is being scrutinized.

Is The IRS Investigating Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation?

This was discussed in the 'Something else about Livestrong' thread.

Dave.

Oldman said:
I think the extension allowed USADA to completely debunk the Oprah mea culpa for what it was...self serving and incomplete. It has to take political pressure off of them as they apply the final touches to, say; USACycling. If DOJ is going to pursue other matters like obstruction of justice, witness intimidation, etc. that may net the real Weisel.

Don't get my hopes up. That guy has money and power like Wonderboy could only dream.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:

Maybe.

I would think that if it's really heating up on the criminal front, coming clean to any agency will take a back seat to making sure he does not become a girlfriend to someone from the general population.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
but the moment Birotte was publicly embarrassed

_____________________ missed that one. Unless, it's just inferred from the
_____________________ DOJ saying it's got a second investigation.

_____________________ "double secret probation"

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:

Just like I knew.....

Fortyninefourteen said:
Just like I knew.....

Lance tanked it.

Lance Armstrong once again has decided not to cooperate with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency but said he still plans to "cooperate fully" with other anti-doping authorities instead.

For the second time in two weeks, the famed cyclist has rejected USADA's deadline to submit to a full debriefing about how he cheated on the bike and got away with it for years. If he had agreed to cooperate in time, his testimony could have paved the way for a reduction in his lifetime ban from sanctioned sporting events.

"Lance is willing to cooperate fully and has been very clear: He will be the first man through the door, and once inside will answer every question, at an international tribunal formed to comprehensively address pro cycling, an almost exclusively European sport," Herman's statement said. "We remain hopeful that an international effort will be mounted, and we will do everything we can to facilitate that result. In the meantime, for several reasons, Lance will not participate in USADA's efforts to selectively conduct American prosecutions that only demonize selected individuals while failing to address the 95% of the sport over which USADA has no jurisdiction."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lance-armstrong-usada-deadline-again/1931793/

He's dodging the law - what's this "exclusive European sport business?

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Spin's all they've got left. Otherwise they'd say something like "we had no idea Lance was under investigation by the DOJ. So we thought we were negotiating sincerely with USADA for more time. The day they gave us more time DOJ said Lance is under investigation for obstruction of justice. We've used these last two weeks to try and get Travis to sell DOJ on the idea that Lance's testimony would do the world so much good that DOJ should let Lance off with a wack on his hands. That didn't work out at all. Lance is kind of upset right now."

Tim's statement is more fun.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
reginagold said:
Spin's all they've got left. Otherwise they'd say something like "we had no idea Lance was under investigation by the DOJ. So we thought we were negotiating sincerely with USADA for more time. The day they gave us more time DOJ said Lance is under investigation for obstruction of justice. We've used these last two weeks to try and get Travis to sell DOJ on the idea that Lance's testimony would do the world so much good that DOJ should let Lance off with a wack on his hands. That didn't work out at all. Lance is kind of upset right now."

Tim's statement is more fun.

I wonder if he's got Luke on a program....

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, .....

"A decision by the Justice Department to join the case “in order to get to the bottom (or top) of this massive fraud would also be viewed by the press and public as necessary and legitimate,” the letter said."

TRENDING THREADS