• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong voted legend of the year in CN .com poll

I find it interesting that readers of CN .com voted Lance Armstrong as Legend of the Year: largely I guess because of his successful come back in the Tour after retiring from the sport. It appears he is well admired for this, generally, by cycling enthusiasts, but very much less so by people on this forum.

I didn't vote but probably would have given him my vote based on his age, irrespective of allegations made about him.

I'm certainly not an LA "fanboy" as I am more interested in following the "hard men" of the classics but I wonder if contributers here are completely dismissive of this poll based on the general dislike of Armstrong?

A

Anonymous

No, im dismissive of the result because most intelligent people do not feel the need to participate in polls.

People do polls becuase they lack confidence in their opinion, and desperately want what they think to be the winning option to give them some faith in themselves.

Intelligent people are perfectly happy with their thoughts and opinions and dont need them substantiated by the results of am irrelevant poll..

Therefore, logic dictates that the only people who participate in polls are stupid, making the results of the polls largely irrelevant, and does nothing for the polled except to make them think that their stupidity is acceptable and normal.

I find it interesting that there is a "Legend of the Year" category. What is next? Twitterer of the year? Why not a few questions with bite? How about "Poorest Sport of the Year"? With Armstrong's douchebaggery, Cavendish being Cavendish, Leipheimer beating up amateurs, etc., there are a lot of candidates.

I think we have seen by the choices and results of other questions that this poll stuff is a load of crap.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
No, im dismissive of the result because most intelligent people do not feel the need to participate in polls.

People do polls becuase they lack confidence in their opinion, and desperately want what they think to be the winning option to give them some faith in themselves.

Intelligent people are perfectly happy with their thoughts and opinions and dont need them substantiated by the results of am irrelevant poll..

Therefore, logic dictates that the only people who participate in polls are stupid, making the results of the polls largely irrelevant, and does nothing for the polled except to make them think that their stupidity is acceptable and normal.
Wow, someone really doesn't like polls.: eek: I suppose I could say something snide about people who generalize, particularly generalize about something as meaningless as whether people vote in internet polls, but mainly I'm just left wondering where the vitriol comes from. Did your pet dog choke on a poll when you were a child, leaving you scared for life or something? :confused:

Cerberus said:
Wow, someone really doesn't like polls.: eek: I suppose I could say something snide about people who generalize, particularly generalize about something as meaningless as whether people vote in internet polls, but mainly I'm just left wondering where the vitriol comes from. Did your pet dog choke on a poll when you were a child, leaving you scared for life or something? :confused:

His cat climbed up a pole and refused to come down. The firemen were called. It was a huge rescue effort that left him traumatized for life.

A

Anonymous

Cerberus said:

are you saying im wrong..?

BroDeal said:
His cat climbed up a pole and refused to come down. The firemen were called. It was a huge rescue effort that left him traumatized for life.

:D

Having read Dim's post, I'm glad I never participate in polls!
Totally subjective, therefore pointless.

On the other hand, when "The Clinic" shows how easy it is for one person to have multiple usernames/IP addresses, it's easy to see how the result of such polls are reached.

I suppose CN have to have something to do, in early January.......

A

Anonymous

Oooooooooooooooooohhhhh... it was biggest legend of the year....

I thought it was biggest bell-end of the year. My bad. :eek:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
are you saying im wrong..?
In that internet polls don't signify much? No that part is mainly true (non-internet polls are somewhat more significant). Everything else you wrote in the post is nonsense though. Do you want a list of the things that are wrong?

Probably not the first time he was voted legend of the year. I would bet my life that he was already voted the '05 legend in the poll, and perhaps that wasn't even the first time.

I voted for the other Armstrong, Kristin. Outstanding career and a top-class 'till the end.

Will we vote for Lance as the Legend again next year or in 2011 when his 2nd retirement kicks in? Lance is a certainly a legend of cycling, but the Messiah he ain't.

A

Anonymous

Cerberus said:
In that internet polls don't signify much? No that part is mainly true (non-internet polls are somewhat more significant). Everything else you wrote in the post is nonsense though. Do you want a list of the things that are wrong?

if it gives you something to do for ten minutes why not.. :D

You do realise that my original reply was intentionally nonsense dont you..

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
if it gives you something to do for ten minutes why not.. :D

You do realise that my original reply was intentionally nonsense dont you..

I did. The tone of that post wasn't conistent with your other posts. It was either that or the avatar.....how could we take anything you say seriously with that face looking at us? :p

EDIT: I actually voted for Frank Vandenbroucke but am not surprised with the result. I honestly disagree with it
though. Lance is still racing, and I don't think current riders should be options (even if they did retire and return). I had a hard time not voting for Chris Eatough; the dude is an endurance MTB freak.

Roadhouse

BANNED
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Offtheback said:
I find it interesting that readers of CN .com voted Lance Armstrong as Legend of the Year: largely I guess because of his successful come back in the Tour after retiring from the sport. It appears he is well admired for this, generally, by cycling enthusiasts, but very much less so by people on this forum.

I didn't vote but probably would have given him my vote based on his age, irrespective of allegations made about him.

I'm certainly not an LA "fanboy" as I am more interested in following the "hard men" of the classics but I wonder if contributers here are completely dismissive of this poll based on the general dislike of Armstrong?

you mean general closet worshipping of Big Lance.

A

Anonymous

I think someone should start a poll asking if polls are worthwhile.. :D

May 15, 2009
Visit site
It does seem like an odd category - or at least one with loose criteria. If its supposed to be to do with a retiring rider, or a rider who died in the year, then Armstrong had no right to even be on there

dimspace said:

Based on polls you yourself started here in the past and the number of participators in polls here, I think you nailed it. Good job.

A

Anonymous

SpeedWay said:
Based on polls you yourself started here in the past and the number of participators in polls here, I think you nailed it. Good job.

Second person to make me laugh out loud today :D

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
It was the fourth Legend title for the now 38-year-old American. Cyclingnews readers previously voted him to the top in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

I'm confused... which criterias is this poll based on.

Contador should be a candidate by now.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Sum_of_Marc said:
It does seem like an odd category - or at least one with loose criteria. If its supposed to be to do with a retiring rider, or a rider who died in the year, then Armstrong had no right to even be on there

Exactly my point. The choices were Lance, the late Frank Vandenbroucke, and riders that either retired or announced retirement. Steve Peat might be an exception; I don't think he's retiring. I might be wrong though....any DH or gravity guys want to confirm this for me?

A

Anonymous

Im very confused by a legend poll that includes current riders...

leg·end (ljnd)
n.
a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
b. A body or collection of such stories.
c. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.

what exactly did lance do that inspired legend this year... Although to be fair, i would not say ill of VdB but dying is hardly legendary/inspirational either (although he is one of the greats).. i think legend is a bit extreme to be honest.. maybe rider of the year, or i dunno.. something.. but legend???

TRENDING THREADS