Armstrong warns all his rivals!

Dec 28, 2009
133
0
0
Lance Armstrong says Contador rivalry to intensify

(AFP) – 5 hours ago

SYDNEY — Seven-time record Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong said Sunday he expects his rivalry with Alberto Contador to increase this year now both riders are competing in different teams.

***
The two Tour champions have made clear their genuine dislike for each other.

"All the personal stuff aside, just speaking about the athlete, he's a fantastic athlete, he's a very complete rider," Armstrong told Australian Associated Press.

***

Armstrong, who turns 39 in September, said he was growing in confidence that he can beat Contador for an eighth Tour de France crown.

"I'm more excited than I was 12 months ago ... I feel good about it, I really believe I can (win the Tour de France)," he said.

"Every time I say it, there's 100 people who say 'no way', just because of my age, but I'm an optimist, so I'm staying there."

***
 
Jul 22, 2009
754
0
0
Previously, during his 7-Tour reign, Arsmtrong never had to "announce" that he was ready. This time around he does. His ego is doing all the talking now.

I tell ya, he is getting his behind nailed to the ground this time around.

I certainly hope otherwise though.
 
I'm thinking that $1 million dollar appearance fee had a little to do with the great time he had there.

He is in a sense giving notice to his opponents that he will be returning to the Tour with the confidence that he can win this year. This in spite of what he implies is a large number of people (fans, reporters, media in general, forum posts?) that say he can't win. He's venturing into unchartered waters so he has to build himself up because he doesn't know when father time will snatch away his gifts or when the motivation to continue training is lost.

It could hit him on the first mountain stage when an attack by one of his rivals takes place and he realizes he doesn't have the legs to respond. Shoot it could happen on a training ride and he finds that Brajkovic is riding away from him and he can't keep up. Or even more likely he gets tired of thrashing himself in training to reach the level of fitness required to maintain his standards of competitiveness.
 
moi123 said:
Armstrong, who turns 39 in September, said he was growing in confidence that he can beat Contador for an eighth Tour de France crown.

"I'm more excited than I was 12 months ago ... I feel good about it, I really believe I can (win the Tour de France)," he said.

"Every time I say it, there's 100 people who say 'no way', just because of my age, but I'm an optimist, so I'm staying there."

***
(1) He said the same thing before the 2009 Tour de France (He thought he could win; was hitting all of his 2002 numbers in training, etc.)

(2) I for one don't say it JUST because of his age. I say because he no longer has the extra kick and ability to ride away from people that he had in 1999-2002. He lost that before he retired and I don't see how he gets in back. Coupled with the fact that the competition is better and just now getting into their primes (Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador). So it's not just because he's 38 that I don't believe that he can win.
 
Nice to see he has completely given up on his "back to raise cancer awareness" propaganda bullsh8t.
No doubting what his real intent was, last year.
More evidence of his great ability to spin a yarn. (lie)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
"There's going to be a lot of buzz and build-up about that in 2010, especially now that we've all left to create another team.

"I will let everyone else build that up
. I will be ready, I've got to tell you."
If only that were true.

I've got a question for everyone. Last year LA rode two Grand Tours, lost the upper body muscle, got used to being in a peloton, etc. He says he's in great shape - (the day he sniped Alberto in Het Nieuwsblad he told the reporter he'd done something like six and a half hours with 4.000 feet of climbing, plus an hour of yoga).

Is there any reason why this year we can't compare him head to head against Tour GC rivals all season long? Contador showed in 2009 that he can win the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya and the Tour in the same year. So when he and LA meet there, isn't it fair that it's included in the rivalry?

The same goes for the Tour Down Under and all of his other races. He's no longer the guy who's been away for three and a half years, and the collarbone is healed. Other guys might target the Tour, but their teams expect them to win elsewhere. Since he can choose his own schedule, shouldn't his fans expect him to try to win something along the way?
:cool:
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
0
0
There's no doubt the rivalry will boost interest in the tour. If LA is feeling like he can beat AC, then bring it on.

We'll see whether a stronger team/weaker rider can beat a weaker team/stronger rider.

I don't think so but it should make July all the more interesting.
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
0
0
theswordsman said:
If only that were true.

I've got a question for everyone. Last year LA rode two Grand Tours, lost the upper body muscle, got used to being in a peloton, etc. He says he's in great shape - (the day he sniped Alberto in Het Nieuwsblad he told the reporter he'd done something like six and a half hours with 4.000 feet of climbing, plus an hour of yoga).

Is there any reason why this year we can't compare him head to head against Tour GC rivals all season long? Contador showed in 2009 that he can win the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya and the Tour in the same year. So when he and LA meet there, isn't it fair that it's included in the rivalry?

The same goes for the Tour Down Under and all of his other races. He's no longer the guy who's been away for three and a half years, and the collarbone is healed. Other guys might target the Tour, but their teams expect them to win elsewhere. Since he can choose his own schedule, shouldn't his fans expect him to try to win something along the way?
:cool:
Besides domestic pro criteriums?
 
Mar 10, 2009
651
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100110/sp_wl_afp/cyclingtourausarmstrong


Link to the original article if anyone is interested in reading it.


and to think only a month ago LA was saying things like

"The days of this team being built around me are done," Armstrong said concisely. "I'm 38 now, I'll be 39 this season - it would be irresponsible to build it around me. Going into the Tour we have to look at Levi [Leipheimer], [Andreas] Klöden, the tactics, the ideas that we use..."

still, there's no 'I' in team....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-radioshack-not-built-around-me
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Angliru said:
I'm thinking that $1 million dollar appearance fee had a little to do with the great time he had there.
He is in a sense giving notice to his opponents that he will be returning to the Tour with the confidence that he can win this year. This in spite of what he implies is a large number of people (fans, reporters, media in general, forum posts?) that say he can't win. He's venturing into unchartered waters so he has to build himself up because he doesn't know when father time will snatch away his gifts or when the motivation to continue training is lost.

It could hit him on the first mountain stage when an attack by one of his rivals takes place and he realizes he doesn't have the legs to respond. Shoot it could happen on a training ride and he finds that Brajkovic is riding away from him and he can't keep up. Or even more likely he gets tired of thrashing himself in training to reach the level of fitness required to maintain his standards of competitiveness.
+1
I have a feeling it's a bit more than that. though i do think that tdu is starting to become a top rank event as it is run very well and has a good orgainisation behind it.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,003
0
0
The problem for TDU, ToC ans the rest is that, until they offer a seriously challenging parcours (and are situated differently in the calendar), they'll remain as either nice training rides in warm weather or domestic showcases but it'll be a long time before they carry the weight of races like Paris-Nice or the Dauphine.
 
Nov 17, 2009
2,388
0
0
theswordsman said:
If only that were true.

I've got a question for everyone. Last year LA rode two Grand Tours, lost the upper body muscle, got used to being in a peloton, etc. He says he's in great shape - (the day he sniped Alberto in Het Nieuwsblad he told the reporter he'd done something like six and a half hours with 4.000 feet of climbing, plus an hour of yoga).

Is there any reason why this year we can't compare him head to head against Tour GC rivals all season long? Contador showed in 2009 that he can win the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya and the Tour in the same year. So when he and LA meet there, isn't it fair that it's included in the rivalry?

The same goes for the Tour Down Under and all of his other races. He's no longer the guy who's been away for three and a half years, and the collarbone is healed. Other guys might target the Tour, but their teams expect them to win elsewhere. Since he can choose his own schedule, shouldn't his fans expect him to try to win something along the way?
:cool:
Well, he rarely won anything along the way in the years he won the Tour before his retirement. No races of consequence before the tour in 2005, just the Tour of Georgia in 2004, just the Dauphine Libere in 2003 and 2002, just the Tour de Suisse in 2001, nothing in 2000 or 1999.

I personally don't see him competing for any finish better then third in the Tour... but even if he were to be able to win the race, I wouldn't really expect any serious results early in the year.

If anything, if he won some big races in March through May, I'd be less likely to think he'd do well in the Tour. It doesn't fit his formula for success... I'd assume he had screwed up his training.
 
May 10, 2009
4,638
1
0
In theory he will be much stronger than 09, BUT so will the Alberto, Andy, Cadel, Denis and Carlos. I can't see the latter three doing as badly again this year, and I expect Carlos to have a big year. Someone like Nibali could podium, so Lance will improve, but he'll be doing very well to podium again.
 
Apr 30, 2009
130
0
0
richwagmn said:
There's no doubt the rivalry will boost interest in the tour. If LA is feeling like he can beat AC, then bring it on.

We'll see whether a stronger team/weaker rider can beat a weaker team/stronger rider.

I don't think so but it should make July all the more interesting.
First of all, Mr. Armstrong is trying to boost his appearance fees, trying to sell himself as a commodity and a competitor for the upcoming season. Mr. Armstrong, however, could not shine Mr. Contador's shoes or the shoes of half of the other competitors out there that don't have a couple of million to throw around, let alone do well in any of the races where he is stating that he will appear; for example Amstel, Flanders, and Liège. Personally, "Radio Shack" looks old, so I wouldn't cast them as the stronger team. Saxo Bank will destroy them, as others will as well. He could go to Amsterdam and ride around the city on the cobbles all day and it's not going to help him much. There are a thousand players in a thousand sports who have toured the world in their final Daze to rake in all that they can. It really doesn't have anything to do with competition. In fact, it detracts from it and is at best, rather base, but this is Mr. Armstrong. The Texan, riding in to town, throwing his tin coffee cup in to the fire and saying lets go get him boys. This year, Mr. Armstrong is going to have so many excuses that even the media will have a hard time keeping up with him. Frankly, I think he is harming the sport, sucking attention away from the other competitors who are far more exciting and have more to contribute today and tomorrow. Mr. Armstrong is a hanger on in a sport that lacks an identity and in which the Media has been trained to kiss the ring.
 
bianchigirl said:
The problem for TDU, ToC ans the rest is that, until they offer a seriously challenging parcours (and are situated differently in the calendar), they'll remain as either nice training rides in warm weather or domestic showcases but it'll be a long time before they carry the weight of races like Paris-Nice or the Dauphine.
Exactly. That was the reason for the ToC change to May. The earlier date made attempting a summit finish difficult with the cold weather in the mountains. Hopefully this will alter the typical winner from being whoever wins the ITT and thus making the event a snoozefest (for a climber obsessed fan like myself).
 
May 7, 2009
1,282
0
0
maybe if he doesn't win this year, he will go away for good?

No, that won't happen. Maybe, he will at least ride for charity to generate funds for cancer programs like he said he was gonna do the first time around?

Maybe if he at least did that with the time he wastes twittering nasty things about the riders who are better than him? Is that too much to hope for?

yeah...... that could happen ;)
 
Dec 23, 2009
42
0
0
bianchigirl said:
The problem for TDU, ToC ans the rest is that, until they offer a seriously challenging parcours (and are situated differently in the calendar), they'll remain as either nice training rides in warm weather or domestic showcases but it'll be a long time before they carry the weight of races like Paris-Nice or the Dauphine.
TOC is growing every year it was a good move to have it in may because now they can have so real climbs and not worry about snow. Also thaey are getting big names and it wont be three guys specially prepared in febuary for the race.
 
Apr 16, 2009
394
0
0
Angliru said:
I'm thinking that $1 million dollar appearance fee had a little to do with the great time he had there.

He is in a sense giving notice to his opponents that he will be returning to the Tour with the confidence that he can win this year. This in spite of what he implies is a large number of people (fans, reporters, media in general, forum posts?) that say he can't win. He's venturing into unchartered waters so he has to build himself up because he doesn't know when father time will snatch away his gifts or when the motivation to continue training is lost.

It could hit him on the first mountain stage when an attack by one of his rivals takes place and he realizes he doesn't have the legs to respond. Shoot it could happen on a training ride and he finds that Brajkovic is riding away from him and he can't keep up. Or even more likely he gets tired of thrashing himself in training to reach the level of fitness required to maintain his standards of competitiveness.
I went to the TDU for the first time two years ago. Didn't go last year because of all the LA hype and was appalled that he was being paid an appearance fee by the SA government. I'm going again this year and riding one of the stages but I do wish the other riders received their fair share of coverage over the LA circus.
 
Jun 18, 2009
374
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
+1
I have a feeling it's a bit more than that. though i do think that tdu is starting to become a top rank event as it is run very well and has a good orgainisation behind it.
TdU is a holiday camp.

It's an insult to call it a ProTour event. It doesn't have a genuinely hilly stage or a single kilometre of time trial. It's at the ar$e end of the season, and the only riders who care about it are the Aussie sprinters and one or two overseas riders who want to boost their profiles. It'll take a lot more than Turtur's organisation to make it a highlight on a rider's palmares.

I'll end the rant, cos this is off-topic.

As for Armstrong - I wish he'd shut up and let his legs do the talking. If he's good enough, he'll win. The constant clamouring for media attention just makes him look like a sad little man desperate for the limelight. He would serve himself and his past achievements better by keeping schtum. A better way to warn his rivals would be to win at Pays-Basques or Paris Nice.
 
tjwracer said:
TOC is growing every year it was a good move to have it in may because now they can have so real climbs and not worry about snow. Also thaey are getting big names and it wont be three guys specially prepared in febuary for the race.
Except that for whatever reasons, they completely bailed on adding much climbing. This will be basically the same race, with a not very steep but long climb up to Big Bear. Good weather guaranteed, but it will not be a race worth talking bout compared to the other races on the calendar at this time.

I'm sure the Shack will be well represented, and use it as light tuning for the Tour. Opportunity missed for the organizers. Maybe next year.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,003
0
0
And meanwhile what's happening to the Tour of Georgia? ToC has the opportunity to do something interesting with the parcours but seriously challenge the Giro?
 
Mar 10, 2009
651
0
0
bianchigirl said:
And meanwhile what's happening to the Tour of Georgia? ToC has the opportunity to do something interesting with the parcours but seriously challenge the Giro?
What Tour of Georgia ?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY