• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's financial situation

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/05/sport/armstrong-austin-doping-cycling/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

From Sarah Holt's CNN piece of 5 Dec 2012,

Suzanne Halliburton of the Austin Statesman Newspaper is quoted,

"The last time I talked to him he seemed to be doing reasonably well," she told CNN. "He has access to a private plane where he can zip off and go hang out in Hawaii at his house there.

Armstrong, who also has a Spanish-style villa close to downtown Austin, has no reason to keep out of the public gaze in his hometown."

wirral said:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/05/sport/armstrong-austin-doping-cycling/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

From Sarah Holt's CNN piece of 5 Dec 2012,

Suzanne Halliburton of the Austin Statesman Newspaper is quoted,

"The last time I talked to him he seemed to be doing reasonably well," she told CNN. "He has access to a private plane where he can zip off and go hang out in Hawaii at his house there.

Armstrong, who also has a Spanish-style villa close to downtown Austin, has no reason to keep out of the public gaze in his hometown."

I like this comment from an article linked in the one above.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/07/sport/lance-armstrong-oakley-cycling/index.html#cnn-disqus-area

He has barely begun to pay the price. He hasn't even had the courage to show his face and publicly acknowledge the truth of his actions. Has he compensated those individuals he threatened and sued for daring to speak the truth? The stories of the lives he ruined through his vengeance are horrifying. He ruined people financially, he threatened, he destroyed reputations...all to protect his own pathetic lie. He has been revealed as the liar and cheat that he is. But punished? Hardly. And he hasn't even begun paying the price. He owes retribution to the people he harmed. Not the damn sponsors or even regular cycling fans and his legion of admirers. I mean the people he really harmed. I hope the lawsuits are piling up and he finally feels the pressure of financial ruin that he imposed on so many.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
Lance might find himself in a beautiful house in Austin
or he might find himself in a beautiful house in Hawaii

Lance will find himself selling a beautiful house in Austin

and

he will find himself selling a beautiful house in Hawaii

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Lance will find himself selling a beautiful house in Austin

and

he will find himself selling a beautiful house in Hawaii

Hawaii house is a rental. Aspen house has $8 Million line of credit.

SCA better file soon

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
It sounds like a setup for the fail and fail big routine so it all becomes a problem for the bank rather than his problem.

I guess Wonderboy will find out (if he hasn't already) that all the money he cheated from others is a lot less then he thought it was after Weisel and others took a massive chunk off it.

ValleyFlowers said:
The Sunday Times sues Lance Armstrong over libel-suit settlement

"The Sunday Times is suing for return of the settlement payment, plus interest and legal expenses, and announced in its most recent edition — in a story headlined “Paper sues over Armstrong’s lies” — that its total claim “is likely to exceed” 1 million pounds ($1.6 million)."

Good, I hope they win too, as I do everyone else that sues Wonderboy!.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I guess Wonderboy will find out (if he hasn't already) that all the money he cheated from others is a lot less then he thought it was after Weisel and others took a massive chunk off it.

You have to wonder at what point does Lance have to flip on his patron? If he is pressed to testify at some point it's perjury or disclosure and Lance is one nut short of a good prison survivor.

If this were the UK, I could definitely someone in Lance's situation going into bankruptcy or court proceedings to claim poverty/did not sufficient assets to cover the amount owed/did not have sufficient income to live on, etc. The advantages would probably outweigh the disadvantages.

Not sure how it works in Texas or the US in general.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm not following it too closely but what happened to the other case against lance? I forgot, which one, who sued him for 8 million dollars? any other cases? I can't believe aso isn't sueing him for all prizemoney and damage to the race

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I hope more journalists will be digging into the whole liestrong scam. but I fear it's still taboo...

I think it's less taboo than that sport in general and cycling in particular has always been off the radar of serious journalism. Nobody cares that much. Mostly, sports journalism is pretty much akin to show-biz journalism - driven way more by access to perceived movers & shakers than any attempt at objectivity.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bicycle tramp said:
I think it's less taboo than that sport in general and cycling in particular has always been off the radar of serious journalism. Nobody cares that much. Mostly, sports journalism is pretty much akin to show-biz journalism - driven way more by access to perceived movers & shakers than any attempt at objectivity.

maybe you are from america, but here cycling is a big thing and big news

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bicycle tramp said:
I'm not from America. Is sports journalism less star-struck in your part of the world?

if it's show bizz journalism then now is the time to unveil the liestrong scam as lance is hot news now. I think persoanlly here in netherlands there are very good investigations and articles in papers regarding cycling, although they are done with a certain goal in mind. I might even say one paper in particular here is almost the sole reason for rabo quitting the sport. they came up with vienna as well.

TRENDING THREADS