• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's financial situation

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2009
Visit site
wirral said:
It may well all be done behind closed doors and non-disclosure agreements so nothing is ever reported about it again.

But I too would like to hear the outcome.

Yes, we all cannot wait to see LA end up in the poor house. We can chastise the cop that gives him shoes to wear, launch into diatribes about people that don't spit on him as they walk by. Much humor, rubbernecking, and righteous comeuppance for all.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Yes, we all cannot wait to see LA end up in the poor house. We can chastise the cop that gives him shoes to wear, launch into diatribes about people that don't spit on him as they walk by. Much humor, rubbernecking, and righteous comeuppance for all.
He had it coming, simple as that.

That said, I am not enjoying his fall, I really dont care for the man.

chrisE he's the man

ChrisE said:

chrisE..............thanks! for brightening up an often too dull forum

i don't look to see lance in the 'poor house' just living an ordinary life
with a little comfort................not indulging in a 'lifestyle of the rich and famous' through cheating

and when lance was earning millions in endorsements........why did he not donate half to livestrong instead of asking less well off people to donate?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
ebandit said:
chrisE..............thanks! for brightening up an often too dull forum

i don't look to see lance in the 'poor house' just living an ordinary life
with a little comfort................not indulging in a 'lifestyle of the rich and famous' through cheating

and when lance was earning millions in endorsements........why did he not donate half to livestrong instead of asking less well off people to donate?

I don't know why he did what he did or what he did for that matter in terms of donations; I am not in his head nor have I seen his tax returns.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
But if you keep this up you will be on his Christmas gift list! Keep up the good work!

Nah, with his financial situation I doubt he could give me what I want; I wild night at the Yellow Rose! :cool:

As posted in the general LA thread, the feds have rejected an offer of $5 million from LA:

Lance Armstrong has offered to pay more than $5 million to the federal government to compensate for the fraud he allegedly committed against the U.S. Postal Service, CBS News has learned. The Postal Service paid Armstrong's team more than $30 million to sponsor it from 1999 to 2004 as part of a contract that banned doping.

CBS News has also learned Armstrong offered to be a cooperating witness in a federal investigation.

But our sources say the Department of Justice has turned down both offers as inadequate.

We know his offer of $1 million to SCA was also rejected. Poor guy can't even give away money.

Also posted on another thread, this link to an article on Weisel and his involvement:

The federal whistle-blower lawsuit targets Tailwind as a defendant, so the question of who controlled Tailwind is critical. The professional cycling team Weisel first assembled in 1998 was called Montgomery-Subaru, after its sponsors, but Tailwind was the team’s holding company, records show.

During the team’s earliest years, “Lance had no part of ownership of Tailwind, which was chaired by Thom Weisel for many years,” according to a memo produced as part of legal proceedings by an attorney for the Dallas insurer SCA. By 2004, however, Armstrong had taken an 11.5 percent ownership stake in the firm, his agent Stapleton said during a 2005 deposition in the SCA litigation.

In documents prepared for a 2005 arbitration case in which the SCA insurance firm made an earlier attempt to recoup its $11 million, the Center for Investigative Reporting found reports of three incidents in which Weisel was allegedly confronted with the doping allegations swirling around the Postal Service team:
—In the 1996 team shake-up, team physician Steffen complained in faxes to Weisel that he was losing his job because he refused to allow drugs on the team…

While Armstrong was en route to his first Tour de France win in 1999, the team was roiled by a report that the cycling star had tested positive for cortisone, a banned substance. Team masseuse Emma O’Reilly claimed she had witnessed Weisel huddling with Armstrong in the cyclist’s massage room, “frantic about what to do about the positive test.”…

Retired U.S. cycling champion Greg LeMond publicly criticized Armstrong in 2001 for training with Ferrari, the reputed doping master. Soon, LeMond said, he got a threatening call from Weisel. “What you’re saying about Lance isn’t good for you,” LeMond claimed Weisel told him.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
ChrisE said:

never mind.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Are the Andreu's suing LA's azz?:confused: They truly deserve every penny they can get from that azzh0le for the damage he inflicted on them.

I suspect they will not have to.

I suspect LA will make some kind of offer as a promoted publicity stunt on his mission to get accepted back in the human race.

Whether they accept or refuse or ask for ten times on a matter of "principle" will have to be seen.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Betsy indicated that it's not really possible to sue as Armstrong never actually legally defamed her. He never called her a liar.

The person who could possibly sue for defamation is Emma O'Reilly as she was painted as being fired for unprofessional conduct by Armstrong. But even that was dressed up so it was unclear.

All in all he's a slippery customer.

TRENDING THREADS