• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Armstrong's new Defense Atty

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
1
0
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...se-attorney-in-u-s-probe-against-cyclist.html

http://www.sheppardmullin.com/

http://www.sheppardmullin.com/bdaly

Former Assistant US Atty. Seems to be from the same line of work as the prosecutor assigned to the Landis case. Now working as defense atty.



...though, this will all just blow over at any given moment.

The Storm has to begin before it can blow over lol.

I am starting to get the feeling the Storm may not even materialize...
 
Mar 7, 2010
64
0
0
Visit site
Polish said:
The Storm has to begin before it can blow over lol.

I am starting to get the feeling the Storm may not even materialize...

Dreamweaver must be your favorite song, eh? If Lancey thought this was nothing why did he hire this guy? To waste his time and Money? You need medication ballpolisher.
 
Aug 9, 2009
640
0
0
Visit site
velosopher54 said:
...If Lancey thought this was nothing why did he hire this guy? To waste his time and Money? You need medication ballpolisher.

I think you need a little bit more knowledge of law and legal tactics.

To paraphrase your post - "Oooh, he hired a lawyer, he must be guilty".

I rarely have the urge to call a poster/post clueless, but you Sir, are sorely tempting me.

Keep up the good work.
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
Polish said:
The Storm has to begin before it can blow over lol.

I am starting to get the feeling the Storm may not even materialize...

Tornado just hit. Bitter, depressed, drunk, hater, Hamilton talking.
 
Cal_Joe said:
I think you need a little bit more knowledge of law and legal tactics.

To paraphrase your post - "Oooh, he hired a lawyer, he must be guilty".

I rarely have the urge to call a poster/post clueless, but you Sir, are sorely tempting me.

Keep up the good work.

Actually, you're the one who appears clueless. Armstrong already has attorneys, one of which is Herman. The reason this story is interesting is that now he's hired a former prosecutor who specializes in fraud. It's not as though he's just "hiring a lawyer."
 
Feb 21, 2010
1,007
0
0
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Actually, you're the one who appears clueless. Armstrong already has attorneys, one of which is Herman. The reason this story is interesting is that now he's hired a former prosecutor who specializes in fraud. It's not as though he's just "hiring a lawyer."

Factor in the almost circus-like statements of Atty Herman over the past week, and it could be Armstrong now knows he needs to change up roster on his counsel.
 
May 23, 2010
2,410
0
0
Visit site
Lance should hire this.. She has friends in high places..

070523_Juris_GoodlingEX.jpg
 
Aug 1, 2009
25
0
0
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Actually, you're the one who appears clueless. Armstrong already has attorneys, one of which is Herman. The reason this story is interesting is that now he's hired a former prosecutor who specializes in fraud. It's not as though he's just "hiring a lawyer."

I just hired a lawyer to help me with a home purchase, my grandmother had a lawyer in charge of the estate. Let's raise the bar of discussion here a bit. Much like you hire an orthopedic to investigate a problem with your joints, one hires a fraud attorney to deal with fraud accusations. In neither case does the mere act of hiring the orthopedic/fraud lawyer indicate that there is a problem. There might be, there might not be. None of us know all of the story, so let's chill until we do.
 
Aug 9, 2009
640
0
0
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Actually, you're the one who appears clueless. Armstrong already has attorneys, one of which is Herman. The reason this story is interesting is that now he's hired a former prosecutor who specializes in fraud. It's not as though he's just "hiring a lawyer."

Sorry, but in the real world "already has attorneys" is pretty much meaningless when you are thrust into a new arena. I think Colm already has a handle on it -

Colm.Murphy said:
Factor in the almost circus-like statements of Atty Herman over the past week, and it could be Armstrong now knows he needs to change up roster on his counsel.

+1 on that.

Moose, think of it as the the choice between having your family doctor performing surgery, or maybe a specialist might be more beneficial to your health?
 
Dunedain said:
I just hired a lawyer to help me with a home purchase, my grandmother had a lawyer in charge of the estate. Let's raise the bar of discussion here a bit. Much like you hire an orthopedic to investigate a problem with your joints, one hires a fraud attorney to deal with fraud accusations. In neither case does the mere act of hiring the orthopedic/fraud lawyer indicate that there is a problem. There might be, there might not be. None of us know all of the story, so let's chill until we do.

I have no problem with that at all, and I certainly understand that.
However, this bit of news coupled with the previous article regarding Herman's attempts to get the investigators to meet and his meetings with Balco leads me to believe that the situation has escalated beyond Herman's expertise.

Otherwise, Armstrong already had Herman handling this. Why change it this week?
 
Jan 19, 2010
214
0
0
Visit site
velosopher54 said:
Dreamweaver must be your favorite song, eh? If Lancey thought this was nothing why did he hire this guy? To waste his time and Money? You need medication ballpolisher.

As far as I can tell, you are simply a d**k.

Why did you need to attack this person? Could you have possibly countered his thought in a rational and thoughtful way?

I guess that is the outcome of getting to hide behind an alias.

Why can't people at least be civil?
 
Jan 19, 2010
214
0
0
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Dude, stop being a b!tch and switching aliases. How's that for civil?

Uhm, I have had a single account on hereand have used exactly one alias. Are you implying something?

Do you not like civility?

I actually think your posts on this thread show thought and some insight and were constructive discussion and you did not resort to personal attacks.

That is what I took issue with for a new person, personal attacks, on their 26th comment.
 
Squares said:
Uhm, I have had a single account on hereand have used exactly one alias. Are you implying something?

Do you not like civility?

I actually think your posts on this thread show thought and some insight and were constructive discussion and you did not resort to personal attacks.

That is what I took issue with for a new person, personal attacks, on their 26th comment.

You and Polish are the same poster. Either that, or you don't spend enough time on here to realize Polish's sole function on this board is to troll.
 
Jan 19, 2010
214
0
0
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
You and Polish are the same poster. Either that, or you don't spend enough time on here to realize Polish's sole function on this board is to troll.

I can assure you that I am not Polish using a different identity.

As for the second part, you are correct about that, I get on only when I have a few minutes to spare seeing what the cycling gossip is (usually while trying to avoid the clinic).
 
May 14, 2010
5,303
4
0
Visit site
Now that you luvbirds have kissed and made up, let's get back on topic, or something at least approaching it.

If you were Armstrong, what would you do? I know that's a loaded question. :rolleyes: What I'd do is put together a Dream Team, a la OJ. Surely if the latter can get away with double murder, Armstrong can get away with a little racing dope?
 
Jun 13, 2010
263
0
0
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I have no problem with that at all, and I certainly understand that.
However, this bit of news coupled with the previous article regarding Herman's attempts to get the investigators to meet and his meetings with Balco leads me to believe that the situation has escalated beyond Herman's expertise.

Otherwise, Armstrong already had Herman handling this. Why change it this week?

The mere act of LA hiring this new attorney either means that he fired TH for the comments he made last week or did not feel he was up to the task for dealing with the situation that now exists. After all, this is not like past battles, like when he had to ***** slab his house boy/mechanic/gardner/driver/ Mark A. Or deal with Gregg L/Trek in the civil matter. When you need brain surgery you hire a neurosurgeon, not a cardiovascular surgeon.
 
May 14, 2010
5,303
4
0
Visit site
sartain said:
The mere act of LA hiring this new attorney either means that he fired TH for the comments he made last week or did not feel he was up to the task for dealing with the situation that now exists. After all, this is not like past battles, like when he had to ***** slab his house boy/mechanic/gardner/driver/ Mark A. Or deal with Gregg L/Trek in the civil matter. When you need brain surgery you hire a neurosurgeon, not a cardiovascular surgeon.

Actually, I believe Herman is the one who picked the new defense attorney. Sort of like being referred to a specialist by your GP (General Practitioner).
 
Feb 21, 2010
1,007
0
0
Visit site
sartain said:
The mere act of LA hiring this new attorney either means that he fired TH for the comments he made last week or did not feel he was up to the task for dealing with the situation that now exists. After all, this is not like past battles, like when he had to ***** slab his house boy/mechanic/gardner/driver/ Mark A. Or deal with Gregg L/Trek in the civil matter. When you need brain surgery you hire a neurosurgeon, not a cardiovascular surgeon.

I think Herman's last straw was claiming Novitsky was off the FDA reservation, managing to insult three things in one statement: American Indians, the FDA and Novitsky himself.

Note to Atty Herman: Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Hiring Daly means this goes all the way. If there are any real legal eagles on the forum, it would be interesting to get a Westlaw search on his cases and any public docs as to outcomes to see his defense style.
 
May 14, 2010
5,303
4
0
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
I think Herman's last straw was claiming Novitsky was off the FDA reservation, managing to insult three things in one statement: American Indians, the FDA and Novitsky himself.

Note to Atty Herman: Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Hiring Daly means this goes all the way. If there are any real legal eagles on the forum, it would be interesting to get a Westlaw search on his cases and any public docs as to outcomes to see his defense style.

Like I said, Herman is the one who picked this guy. And I thought his statements concerning Novitsky were effective: indicated readiness to push back.