• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Article: Lance Armstrongs #28 Jersey sells out in one hour. Will they make more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
They are calling it the "Tweet heard around the world" as eager cycling fans awaited for the venerable "Last Day 28 Jersey" to become available.

Radioshack tweeted:

"The 28 Jersey has arrived exclusively in the @TeamRadioShack shop. These are limited, get them quickly! Shop Now"

To many that watched the last day of the tour, the most memorable moment wasn't Contador winning the Tour, but it was the defiance and courage shown by the Team Radioshack team who dawned the infamous Livestrong #28 Jersey, which stood for the 28 million people who have cancer around the world.

As sales hit the Team Radioshack site Tuesday evening, within one hour, the jersey was completely sold out in all sizes. Lance Armstrong himself tweeted, "Heard the "28" jerseys sold out in an hour. Whoa. Make more?"

Many who came to the site the following day or few days afterward were much dismayed and disappointed as they had been following the sale of these jerseys for quite some time now. Most of the reviews for the jersey is rated at one star, and the comments are filled with angry sentiments of how it's no longer available.

In a way it's a shame. The jersey is symbolic to the 28 million people who have cancer, and yet, for such a strong message from livestrong, shouldn't it be available to everyone?

I guess the 28 million dollar question is, will they make more? I can tell you from sources that I contacted, they will not make more. It was a limited edition jersey, and after contacting the several organizations, Livestrong, Nike, Radioshack, and even the manafacturer of the jerseys, more will not be made. So those that got them, don't wear them out too quickly because there won't be any more. Now as far as knock offs or counterfeit replicas? That may be on the horizon as the demand for these jerseys is quite amazing. The only way I see more being made is if enough people twitter Armstrong to get it to happen. I am doubting even Armstrong himself has the muscle and pull to get more jerseys made.

- Silent Assassin

I'm with BroDeal.

If the case gets as far as prison time for Armstrong. I don't think it will. Money talks after all. But, if it does, I'll buy the jersey in prison jumpsuit orange and his penal system ID across the back of the shoulders. "Cheat to win" across the front of the chest? A fictional prison guard's union logo too maybe?

In fact, maybe I should start work on that right now.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
jeezz.. talking about buying sh!t no one needs in tough economic times....

You can't even buy it if you wanted to. Just goes to show that millions believe in Lance and Livestrong, and that's a good thing ;) - the bad thing is if you want the jersey, it's not available.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I will wait for the federal prison outfit jersey with Livestrong colored stripes to come out.

That's what RS will wear and have to strip out of on the final stage the of the 2011.

I liked concept of the jersey. If it wasn't associated with LA, Johan or Radioshack, etc. It would be better to see more teams with the last name of the back of their jerseys. I think Sky is already doing something like that.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
28million is the number of clients (+multiplied by their relatives) that the Pharmstrong profiteering machine (incl. Nike) is gonna target for their hypocritical strategy. big business.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
Has anyone got any links to this new disease people are talking about, I think it is called 'cancer.'

Some one really should be doing something to raise awareness of this disease.....

I've heard that each item you buy from Nike/Livestrong cures one person with the disease

A

Anonymous

Idiots. All of them.

If they knew anything of supply and demand then they should have known to control demand with an inflated price.

Brilliant strategy creating pent-up demand and poor price-point execution. Charge 3x more... gouge the fanbase as this may be one of the last real opportunities to do so.

After all, the proceeds benefit cancer victims, right?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I believe this is a limited time only offer about as much as I believe all of those Disney commercials about how this movie or that movie will be locked away in the vault forever. So you better buy now.

I am speculating there will be another themed jersey for each year of RS involvement in sponsoring the team. After a couple of years the now original #28 jersey will be re-released in "retro" glory and 3x the cost.

SilentAssassin said:
You can't even buy it if you wanted to. Just goes to show that millions believe in Lance and Livestrong, and that's a good thing ;) - the bad thing is if you want the jersey, it's not available.

It's okay, I'm sure the "fatty Masters weekend warrior flabby calfed" crowd got their fill of these jerseys and hopefully they will at least make that crew feel fast when they "hammer" past old women in the bicycle lane in town during rush hour.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm not a fan, and thought the way they tried to ride with them at the Tour was pandering, but they are a nice looking kit, with LA's message. I like the way they look more than the regular RS kit for sure. A blend of cycling, rugby and cricket.

LA's message? Bummer, most of the fanboys buying these jerseys thought they came with LA's MASSAGE. Going to be a lot of disappointed fanboys out there...

As convinced we all are that we are right on the Lance Armstrong question- "did he ahem :rolleyes: ?" the truth is there are millions of people who believe in him. This is just another example of why opinion polls can never be right.

My stay in Poland is coming to an end, but the number of people cycling in discovery channel and livestrong jerseys around here has been very big.

The fact is Lance Armstrong is and will likely always be one of the most loved sports personalities in the world. Doesnt mean the myths are true.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
It's okay, I'm sure the "fatty Masters weekend warrior flabby calfed" crowd got their fill of these jerseys and hopefully they will at least make that crew feel fast when they "hammer" past old women in the bicycle lane in town during rush hour.

I think you will be disappointed when you go to a livestrong challenge and find out a lot of dudes with all kinds of livestrong jerseys finish ahead of you :cool:

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Without knowing the inventory they made available, this is a specious claim. Selling out 10,000 jerseys in a hour is far more impressive than selling out 200 or 20.

It would not be that hard to believe that well over 100,000 jerseys were sold. You have to think about the bike shops that buy these in bulk, the millions that follow lance on twitter, and the millions of livestrong supporters out there.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
They are calling it the "Tweet heard around the world" as eager cycling fans awaited for the venerable "Last Day 28 Jersey" to become available.

Radioshack tweeted:

"The 28 Jersey has arrived exclusively in the @TeamRadioShack shop. These are limited, get them quickly! Shop Now"

To many that watched the last day of the tour, the most memorable moment wasn't Contador winning the Tour, but it was the defiance and courage shown by the Team Radioshack team who dawned the infamous Livestrong #28 Jersey, which stood for the 28 million people who have cancer around the world.

As sales hit the Team Radioshack site Tuesday evening, within one hour, the jersey was completely sold out in all sizes. Lance Armstrong himself tweeted, "Heard the "28" jerseys sold out in an hour. Whoa. Make more?"

Many who came to the site the following day or few days afterward were much dismayed and disappointed as they had been following the sale of these jerseys for quite some time now. Most of the reviews for the jersey is rated at one star, and the comments are filled with angry sentiments of how it's no longer available.

In a way it's a shame. The jersey is symbolic to the 28 million people who have cancer, and yet, for such a strong message from livestrong, shouldn't it be available to everyone?

I guess the 28 million dollar question is, will they make more? I can tell you from sources that I contacted, they will not make more. It was a limited edition jersey, and after contacting the several organizations, Livestrong, Nike, Radioshack, and even the manafacturer of the jerseys, more will not be made. So those that got them, don't wear them out too quickly because there won't be any more. Now as far as knock offs or counterfeit replicas? That may be on the horizon as the demand for these jerseys is quite amazing. The only way I see more being made is if enough people twitter Armstrong to get it to happen. I am doubting even Armstrong himself has the muscle and pull to get more jerseys made.

- Silent Assassin

Dude, if you really want people to take your so-called "articles" seriously, stop being so incredibly biased. To be a journalist, you have to remain neutral, you write these as if your Lance's own personal PR rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS