• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AS.com trashes Lance or at least pokes fun.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I had to do a second take when I saw this one :D

My translation of it (you can use your favorite web translator as well for proof)

Armstrong prefers the Tour of EPO

Lance Armstrong raced last year during these dates the Giro d'Italia, but in 2010 he's changed his plans and has opted for Tour of California, also known as the Tour of EPO, because its sponsor is the pharmaceutical company Amgen, which lists EPO as one if its star products. Other participants are, Andy Schleck, Levy Leipheimer, Fabian Cancellara, Mark Cavendish and Tom Boonen. The first stage finished yesterday at dawn. The race will go on till the 23rd.

Ref. Link: http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/armstrong-prefiere-tour-epo/dasclm/20100517dasdaicic_2/Tes

OK maybe just the ToC or Amgen in general but it looks like others also have issues with the title sponsor and the issues in Cycling.

Also, most of us know Amgen also makes other products (aka Medicine) so don't go on a tirade on how they also make other life saving products and its wrong to poke fun, because they're saving lives and bla bla... This is about AS making some good old fun and possibly bringing some light on a previously hidden or swept under the carpet issue.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
This is about AS making some good old fun and possibly bringing some light on a previously hidden or swept under the carpet issue.

Hidden or swept under the carpet? There are 2,051 posts on this forum regarding Amgen/EPO and their sponsorship of the ToC.

Call me confused about your post.

Well maybe don't do that. Most people call me confused regarding just about anything.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Depends on who AS's readership is? Cycling fans like us who are informed, or common people who have no idea?

The sad fact is last year in the ToC there was no testing for EPO. I haven't heard about this year.

My Spanish is rusty, so I had the GF (from Barcelona) look at it. She said "Oh, this is like your US Fox News, but a site only for sports." I think that says a bunch.

Regarding ToC testing (or lack thereof), pretty shameful. I remember a recent article on cyclingnews as to changes for that, but can't find it.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
The sad fact is last year in the ToC there was no testing for EPO. I haven't heard about this year.

Im absolutely flummoxed by that. "So Dope controllers how are you doing tests this year?", "Directly after the stage were gonna look into their eyes with a Doctors light".

Good to see they have the riders on the ropes.............

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well its the first time a major news site has taken such a pot shot in any case. Unfortunately this forum isn't read by all so don't think its previous debates are known to all.

Also, AS.com is also the site that had/has interviews on the detailed stories of Jesus Manzano on doping practices while he was a rider, hardly Fox news.

Their audience, well any sports fan in Spain and well elsewhere as well that can read it. I've also seen this site reference their stories.

TRENDING THREADS