• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"As Long as it is not a witch hunt"

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Could this be an admission of guilt?

Or does LA mean to imply that he is going to take everyone else down with him?

Interesting word choice Lance

Boeing said:

I'd say he's just trying to predispose the public opinion to think it *is* a witch hunt. He could get some sympathy that way, and boy, is he going to need it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:

Actually an even more obvious admission was in response to a question fro Juliet Macur during the Tour of California (9:16 in this video)

JM: - He is co-operating with Federal Authorities and the guy that ran the BALCO investigation...
LA: -You took that quote from the Daily News, thats not...why would Jeff Novisky have anything to do with...which is fine, if thats the case, we'll be more than happy to participate as well.
But why would Novisky have anything to do with what an athlete does in Europe?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
images

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Actually an even more obvious admission was in response to a question fro Juliet Macur during the Tour of California (9:16 in this video)

JM: - He is co-operating with Federal Authorities and the guy that ran the BALCO investigation...
LA: -You took that quote from the Daily News, thats not...why would Jeff Novisky have anything to do with...which is fine, if thats the case, we'll be more than happy to participate as well.
But why would Novisky have anything to do with what an athlete does in Europe?

Yeah he's always spoken in a sort of code. Another moment is where he demands to know where the picture of the doping bike is. The way he said it sort of admitted that there really was a doping bike but there was no picture of it. If you look at his exchange with Kimmage he is careful not to praise people that speak out, saying 'some might say' they did the right thing. He says that twice, then says they had no other option because they were caught red handed. He doesn't sugar the pill even then! He also always rightly talks about how doping has always been apart of sport, which is really a backhanded defence.

It's quite an extraordinary thing this case. I wonder if Landis really thought the authorities would pick up on this federal sponsorship issue. It must have been put to him, don't you think, by LeMonds people or whomever? He wouldn't really want that, surely? It would be something quite astonishing if someone goes down for something every grand tour winner has done for yonks. Farcical even.

And some people even want to this to happen because they don't like Armstrong's natural personality type.... :eek:

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
What's interesting to me is Armstrong's implication that he will be the one to decide whether the investigation is legitimate, and if, in his opinion, it is not (i.e., is a witch hunt) then he will not cooperate. I suspect a federal prosecutor might see things differently.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
marcovelo said:
What's interesting to me is Armstrong's implication that he will be the one to decide whether the investigation is legitimate, and if, in his opinion, it is not (i.e., is a witch hunt) then he will not cooperate. I suspect a federal prosecutor might see things differently.

I'm sure the prosecutor will see it differently. I am also sure Armstrong's lawyers will be objecting to questions in deposition as "lacking foundation" or "calling for speculation" or "invading privacy" and all manner of neat phrases at every turn and arguing to the judge that the questions go beyond the scope of the prosecutor's authority, or invade privileges, etc.

Lance has obviously consulted with professionals, both publicists and lawyer, extensively throughout the last couple decades.