• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana Licence to be withdrawn?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
mrhender said:
-The UCI submits its written request to the Licence Commission

-A hearing is called with the team given at least 10 days notice

-If the licence is withdrawn the team could stop racing, there's no automatic granting of a second-tier Pro Conti licence

-Astana may appeal the verdict to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)

-Any CAS appeal will take time, possibly two months, and there is scope for Astana to make a separate fast-track appeal to win back its licence on a temporary basis in order to keep riding.

If so, I think UCI is serious for the issue. Riders in the team will miss many races...

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
burning said:
There is no way in hell that this would happen. I think UCI is just doing a PR work, nothing more.

Padua investigation may have forced the hand...

A long potentially ugly and maybe unssuccesful fight with the current team of the Tour champion is not good PR.......

My bet is Vino is done...
They might salvage the team in some way, maybe for next year..

But Vino is done...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
if the circ report comes before may, tinkov and probably another 10 teams won't ride the giro anyway i guess. so if some are happy now, they will cry later

astana, clean cycling pride!!!!!!!!!

So what? Who needs Tinkov?
Could be a great Giro with new riders getting a chance to shine...

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
It's hard not to think why they wouldn't suspend Astana when the possibility was first discussed, instead of waiting until the season started, but oh well. They had it coming either way.

The Lusanne audit may be an important nail in the coffin..

If they had went ahead without it, and without the report from Padua they could have jeopardized everything and have another Katusha humiliation...

Also it would make sense to get the CIRC report first...

All those together will be the end of Vino...

All in my opinion...

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Wow. If this happens then... I don't know... It's both brilliant and possibly very, very damaging.

The Lusanne audit may be a template for future license grantings...

Cookson has suggested licensing changes in relation to CIRC report coming up...

If so then we might actually get some positive changes...

We know few details as of now, but so far it is all very interesting...

Wow, **** just got interesting.

Can't see the UCI starting this if they're not confident of finishing it, especially after getting egg on their faces at CAS with Katusha.

Is this just an exercise in getting rid of Vino or do we think they have info on Nibali and the Italian "part" of the team?

I'm guessing the former. New Italian Pro-Cont team with Nibali, Aru, Slongo and Martinelli in time for the Giro???

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
another question:
Astana is still a WT team? They should be disqualified after Licence Commission's decision? So if Licence Commission make decision after some race, say Paris-Nice, they still can attend PN?

coimbrawu said:
another question:
Astana is still a WT team? They should be disqualified after Licence Commission's decision? So if Licence Commission make decision after some race, say Paris-Nice, they still can attend PN?

They can still race until the Commission rules.

If Astana go to CAS which is 99% certain I would say then they MAY get a temporary license to allow them to race whilst the appeal is taking place.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
wtf?
Not at UCI reconsidering AStana's licence, but at all the WHOAs and WOWs in here.
Could see this coming from miles away.
sniper said:
Astana, Katusha and the likes can be thrown under the bus.
good post sniper.

p.s. good posts @jensattack
clean cycling pride :D

mrhender said:
The Lusanne audit may be a template for future license grantings...

Cookson has suggested licensing changes in relation to CIRC report coming up...

If so then we might actually get some positive changes...

We know few details as of now, but so far it is all very interesting...

Completely agree, this could be exactly what we have all been waiting for and a real push towards clean cycling.

However, it could be very damaging to the sport. If teams thought it was hard getting sponsors before then just wait until this blows up. Sponsors can force whatever rules and regs they want on teams, but the idea that your whole investment could go down the pan is not going to sit well with the guys who hold the purse strings...

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
BeagRigh said:
Wow, **** just got interesting.

Can't see the UCI starting this if they're not confident of finishing it, especially after getting egg on their faces at CAS with Katusha.

Is this just an exercise in getting rid of Vino or do we think they have info on Nibali and the Italian "part" of the team?

I'm guessing the former. New Italian Pro-Cont team with Nibali, Aru, Slongo and Martinelli in time for the Giro???

Okay....

Wild speculation:

There is actually a way to salvage this for all parts (exept Vino and a few others maybe)

If the licencse commission decides that there is no license it falls on Vino/management right?

So if they replace the management as a condition for obtaining licence then I know one guy who is ready to take over:
http://en.tengrinews.kz/sport/Kashechkin-needs-15-million-for-second-Kazakh-cycling-team-256848/

Kasheckin has been mingling at anti-doping conferences in Doha giving lectures with Froome personal doctor Stephane Bermon who is also board member of the IAAF...

UCI might have gone tough on doping but are they really ready to dish a dozen of stars and a major team earning them big bucks?

I don't know what the final solutuon will be but i think they will find a way of letting those boys race, however it will be without Vino as he is not a "fit and proper person..."

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Completely agree, this could be exactly what we have all been waiting for and a real push towards clean cycling.

However, it could be very damaging to the sport. If teams thought it was hard getting sponsors before then just wait until this blows up. Sponsors can force whatever rules and regs they want on teams, but the idea that your whole investment could go down the pan is not going to sit well with the guys who hold the purse strings...

This. Good post Boonen

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Fu"ck the sh"it has finally hit the fan for Vino, I completely agree Vinos time is up, but Astana will probably be saved with a new management.

Honestly I think Padua is the nail in the coffin here. If it turns out to be true about Ferrari then there may be no saving Astana at all.

mrhender said:
Okay....

... sniped ...

UCI might have gone tough on doping but are they really ready to dish a dozen of stars and a major team earning them big bucks?

I don't know what the final solutuon will be but i think they will find a way of letting those boys race, however it will be without Vino as he is not a "fit and proper person..."

The bolded and King Boonen's posts are key IMO. UCI needs a figurehead for this or they risk losing a lot of teams sponsors and a lot of TV rights money.

I also highly doubt they want the new clean generation narrative disturbed by taking down last years tour winner.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
BeagRigh said:
The bolded and King Boonen's posts are key IMO. UCI needs a figurehead for this or they risk losing a lot of teams sponsors and a lot of TV rights money.

I also highly doubt they want the new clean generation narrative disturbed by taking down last years tour winner.

Yes, only Vino himself seems to be a problem for the UCI.

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Nibali must have tested positive. There's no way he doesn't know about the huge doping operation inside Astana. It would explain his magical improvement in form for his Tour win after looking useless before.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
King Boonen said:

Yes....
And good post...

The second part is a huge subject on it's own so won't go into much detail here.

However se the team-optum thread...

They are running black numbers every year on a different kind of sponsor supposedly all clean.. Another level of course..
Point is that running clean would attract a whole new sponsor-segment..
Problem is how to get a wider upheld agreement on top-level...

Some argue that doping attracts sponsors...
but if you apply and transform the nash-theory everyone would gain of no-one cheating....

And therin lies the fundamental issue...

Someone will always take advantage short-term and it becomes an epedemic...
However if everyone agreed not to "go after the blond" then everyone might take something home... (that something being wins, a larger sponsor-pool etc...)

I'am tired now as i've been working all night so just ignore if I make no sense :)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
UCI with a British president promoting "clean cycling" is still furious about an evil doper taking away the gold medal from hard working, marginally gaining British athletes.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
UCI with a British president promoting "clean cycling" is still furious about an evil doper taking away the gold medal from hard working, marginally gaining British athletes.

I'am not so sure Cookson has the same love for SKY and DB as he used to...