• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana throws Oscar under the Bus?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Old Astana is the new New Astana

issoisso said:
Except when he did the same thing to Igor Abakoumov a couple of years back :p

"Old" Astana gave poor Igor the shaft silly - not Bruyneel.

Anyway, Oscar is being swindled much worse than Igor.

Polish said:
"“They are going to leave me out on the street. All I want is to be on the road and I just want to compete,” Pereiro told AS.com."

Maybe he should be blaming the idiots at the UCI who set up a system where teams don't know what license they will be racing under until December.

Polish said:
Boy, Bruyneel would not have done something that nasty:(

Ask Franki Andreu about that.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
"Old" Astana gave poor Igor the shaft silly - not Bruyneel.

Nope. Bruyneel told Abakoumov he would not honour Abakoumov's contract and promptly filled up the 30 spots on the roster....that left Abakoumov as the 31st...which isn't allowed by the UCI.

Abakoumov finally asked the UCI to intervene and they reached an agreement for an amount to be paid to the rider to terminate the contract :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Maybe he should be blaming the idiots at the UCI who set up a system where teams don't know what license they will be racing under until December.

Ask Franki Andreu about that.

How much money does he still owe Andreu? He does owe Savoldelli several tens of thousands in unpaid salaries, that much I do know. He does owe Vaughters too, I think, doesn't he?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
UCI's Fault?

BroDeal said:

Why blame the UCI?

Astana make an offer to Oscar in November & Oscar signs it.
And then Astana reneges. How is that the UCI's fault again?

The riders on Astana should be THANKING the UCI for forcing Astana to put their salaries in safe keeping you know.

New New Astana "has also not officially announced Pereiro's presence on the team nor invited him to its first training camp next week in Pisa, Italy."
Really classy - not!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pereiros-contract-with-astana-in-doubt

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Nope. Bruyneel told Abakoumov he would not honour Abakoumov's contract and promptly filled up the 30 spots on the roster....that left Abakoumov as the 31st...which isn't allowed by the UCI.

Abakoumov finally asked the UCI to intervene and they reached an agreement for an amount to be paid to the rider to terminate the contract :)

Bruyneel did NOT have a contract with Igor.
Old Astana had a contract with Igor.
Old Astana did NOT pay Igor until FORCED by the UCI.
Igor thanked the UCI.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
How much money does he still owe Andreu? He does owe Savoldelli several tens of thousands in unpaid salaries, that much I do know. He does owe Vaughters too, I think, doesn't he?

I don't know the details, but I thought the issue with Savoldelli at least was with the "prize share" from money won during the stages of a TDF. While I agree it's a pretty lame move not paying that money... I'm not sure the team is contractually obligated to pay it. Perhaps someone with more knowledge in the dollars and cents side of cycling could clarify that.

I was pretty sure it wasn't contractual salary he was denied... but I could be wrong.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Bruyneel did NOT have a contract with Igor.
Old Astana had a contract with Igor.
Old Astana did NOT pay Igor until FORCED by the UCI.
Igor thanked the UCI.

If you think I'm wrong, by all means, post a link :)

(but I distinctly remember Abakoumov's interview insulting Bruyneel and describing exactly what happened)

Publicus said:
Isn't the real issue that Olympus Sarl is involved? That's Bruyneel's company if I recall correctly.
Correct.
Which makes the whole thing more odd than Polish's logic.
This means that the old new Astana are actually to blame and not the new old Astana!

Money owed to list, should also include Cedric Vasseur?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tactical Genius

Bruyneel's Luxembourg-based Olympus SARL is actually negotiating
the contracts for the NewNew Astana, RadioShack's ArchEnemy?

Bruyneel's Luxembourg-based Olympus SARL is keeping Super-Domestique
and Alberto-buddy Oscar off of the NewNew Astana?

Holy Crap, if that is not Tactical Genius what is!

TRENDING THREADS