• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana's tactics

Astana's tactics - two words that shouldn't be in the same sentence after this stage...

They could have had the KOM jersey plus two podiums, easily...wouldn't have needed a rocket scientist to achieve that today

SafeBet said:
Total idiocy?

Say you're in Astana's team car, what do you do after Finestre?

Run from Vino.

No, serriously, the guys from Samruk one of the biggest sponsors of Astana where there today at the finish line, all that mattered for them was a stage victory. But i have no idea why they called Landa back, robbed him today. Would have been even better with the KOM and another stage.

TL;DR: All in all i dont understand it, but Samruk guys are happy

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
With hindsight, they should have seriously switched to Landa the first time Aru cracked. That might have won them the Giro.

Without hindsight, no one saw Contador cracking today, and they ended up winning a ton of stages, and all the big ones, getting 2nd and 3rd.

Astana's tactics have been absolutely atrocious this Giro. They could probably have won this if they had played their cards right, but instead they went for stage wins and the podium. Absolutely disgraceful for the strongest team in the race by miles going against a guy that was stronger than them individually, but who was isolated every single time things got hairy. Their tactics are the reason why this Giro has been "great" instead of "the best GT in the history of ever" (still the best one I've watched in a very long time, though).

I don't know what I'd have done today because the stages to win the Giro were Madonna di Campiglio and Aprica. But I wouldn't have stopped Landa only to make him do 90% of the work in the chase group anyway, that's for sure.

Landa was pulling on the flat alone, he's totally crap as a TTer, Zakarin was not working and he was dead soon after. Do you think Landa was told to stop and wait for Aru's group or that group just normally caught Landa and Zakarin? Then, when they are together what do you do? Obviously go with the fresher, better placed rider for stage victory and try to get more time back from Contador. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it. Of course in other stages they messed it up but remember that Landa lost one minute to Aru in the ITT and he became sort of leader when Aru was doing bad.

Re:

hrotha said:
Astana's tactics have been absolutely atrocious this Giro. They could probably have won this if they had played their cards right, but instead they went for stage wins and the podium. Absolutely disgraceful for the strongest team in the race by miles going against a guy that was stronger than them individually, but who was isolated every single time things got hairy. Their tactics are the reason why this Giro has been "great" instead of "the best GT in the history of ever" (still the best one I've watched in a very long time, though).

I don't know what I'd have done today because the stages to win the Giro were Madonna di Campiglio and Aprica. But I wouldn't have stopped Landa only to make him do 90% of the work in the chase group anyway, that's for sure.
Actually thinking that Astana's tactical stupidity made this a much more memorable Giro :p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Landa was pulling on the flat alone, he's totally crap as a TTer, Zakarin was not working and he was dead soon after. Do you think Landa was told to stop and wait for Aru's group or that group just normally caught Landa and Zakarin? Then, when they are together what do you do? Obviously go with the fresher, better placed rider for stage victory and try to get more time back from Contador. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it. Of course in other stages they messed it up but remember that Landa lost one minute to Aru in the ITT and he became sort of leader when Aru was doing bad.

They should have never played with 1 guy only, pretty arrogant to think you can beat contador that way. It's aru after all.

Then again Landa never has done anything close to this so can't blame them that he had to ride for aru in the first 10 days.

Only thing I can come up with is that they were afraid of Zakarin. At first Aru was not pulling his group so probably the plan was to stick with Landa, but when Zakarin refused to collaborate (which was kinda obvious) they decided to stop him. But I'm not so sure why they thought Aru was gonna win it :confused: he seemed the weakest up Finestre

They got the stage win and 2 and 3 in GC so I don't see what was wrong with their tactics.

They lost the mountains jersey but who really cares. Not sure i can name one winner of the blue jersey since it was a green jersey and il scaiotollo won

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I think people are confusing Astana's tactical judgements with what they think is best for their team. I'm sure if Landa was staying he would have been backed more. I'm sure if this was the Vuelta he would have been backed more.

However, given this is the Giro and that Landa is leaving they chose to put their eggs in the enormous basket that is Aru's mouth. So from my perspective talking tactics is really redundant

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Billie said:
They got the stage win and 2 and 3 in GC so I don't see what was wrong with their tactics.
You don't see- How about the part where they could have won the Giro if they had actually raced for that goal?

We're not talking tactics. We're talking about a choice between them backing their "future" in his home tour, or backing a guy who is leaving.

If winning the Giro at all costs was their priority I'm sure they would have switched tactics, but I really think their main priority was simply was for them to get Aru as much limelight as possible

Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Billie said:
You don't see- How about the part where they could have won the Giro if they had actually raced for that goal?

They actually tried. Aru group was 40 seconds behind Landa so they were at about the same time in front of Contador in provisional GC. Was always smarter to work together like they did today then have both try for it apart.

Was impossible to take back those 5 minutes on contador on sestriere anyway.

TRENDING THREADS