• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astanna What Now?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I'll bet Ricco's riding big races next year one way or the other. The combination of the climber/all-rounder worked well at the Tour. The combination of both pantomime vllans on the one team is irresistible. Yes, it will cause some people to work themselves into a frenzy. I suppose the problem is that grand tours can pick the teams they want, but if they're in the Protour they can ride a lot of stuff. Is there much danger of Astana not having their PT license renewed?

May 15, 2009
Visit site
If Ricco in other teams, he will go to big races. But in Astana, I doubt it. With UCI's 18-point PCT rules, Astana's losing PT license will cost them a lot. I think they dont want to run the risks.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Is there much danger of Astana not having their PT license renewed?

Never mind Ricco. They shouldn't get it based on financial irreglarties. Dodgey money from dodgey state companies is a no-no for me.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Never mind Ricco. They shouldn't get it based on financial irreglarties. Dodgey money from dodgey state companies is a no-no for me.

The UCI care where the money comes from in that way? They were unhappy with the apparent non-payment of wages in Bruyneel's time, didn't hear about anything else.

[edit] I call an agenda.

Isn't Astana's Pro Tour license up this year?

EDIT: It does expire at the end of 2010:

Team - License expires
Astana (KAZ) 2010
Caisse d’Epargne (ESP) 2010
Euskaltel-Euskadi (ESP) 2010
Footon-Servetto (ESP) 2010
Française des Jeux (FRA) 2010
Liquigas-Doimo (ITA) 2010
Team Columbia-HTC (USA) 2010
Team Milram (GER) 2010
Omega Pharma-Lotto (BEL) 2011
Quick Step (BEL) 2011
Saxo Bank (DEN) 2011
Team Katusha (RUS) 2011
AG2R La Mondiale (FRA) 2012
Garmin-Slipstream (USA) 2012
Rabobank (NED) 2012
Team RadioShack (USA) 2013
Team Sky (GBR) 2013

http://tinyurl.com/26c2dbs

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Step up for lampre from cunego imo.

Well Il Principe will leave Lampre I think... He has really good offers from Liquigas, New "Team Geox", also from Garmin and Sky but I think that he said pretty clear that he is not going to any Anglo Team... Nothing is sure with Il Principe cuz he has quite good offers :confused:

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
p.s i'm no Bruyneel fan. Just calling it as I see it.
this is a typical disclaimer from some members who shortly after pleading so in the clinic got banned.

you can easily identify them by searching on astana topics and reviewing their status. remarkably, they all have similar vocabulary and style.:D:):eek::rolleyes:

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
python said:
this is a typical disclaimer from some members who shortly after pleading so in the clinic got banned.

you can easily identify them by searching on astana topics and reviewing their status. remarkably, they all have similar vocabulary and style.:D:):eek::rolleyes:

......im at a total loss as to what you mean. I made the quote because the replyee made out I was a Bruyneel follower. Which I'm not. Never will be. Not since he hugged Indurains wheel way back then.......

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
....he hugged Indurains wheel way back then.......

This is the problem. We are not hugging enough wheels. Astana, some one should help them, is a TEAM? Could have fooled me. I really like Vino but the rest of the schtick is pretty gruesome. Contador seems to be a gentleman and was looking for a "nice" way out of uncertainty. Creativity requires Stability, and Astana certainly is not that.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
David Arroyo's been connected with Astana, hasn't he. Maybe Soler's available as well. Don't know where I'm going with this...

They can assemble acompetitive team, and the Protour... There are probably two Protour teams packing up this year, potentially another going to Pro Conti. in: the Schleck team, Vacansoleil want to go up, maybe BMC will. If the UCI want the same number of teams, I can''t see a huge battle for a place, and Astana obviously have the most UCI points which make a good case.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
David Arroyo's been connected with Astana, hasn't he. Maybe Soler's available as well. Don't know where I'm going with this...

They can assemble acompetitive team, and the Protour... There are probably two Protour teams packing up this year, potentially another going to Pro Conti. in: the Schleck team, Vacansoleil want to go up, maybe BMC will. If the UCI want the same number of teams, I can''t see a huge battle for a place, and Astana obviously have the most UCI points which make a good case.

This not the major leagues, obviously. The UCI is kind of helpless in a field of also rans. Does any one really care about who wins the rundt fart? There are only two real contenders for the TDF, so where do they go? And we do the same old same old over again. It is getting very boring!

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Astanna Team Accountant Says He "knows nothing about missing money"...

imgres

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
http://tinyurl.com/2bbk446

According to one of the sponsor bosses, team is targeting Giro win (with who?) along with TAITC (the all important team classification) for the TDF.

I'd facepalm, but my face is too busy banging to a wall.

It's gota be Menchov they're chasing.....I think Menchov will be a little bit more wily with getting his money though !!