• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Astanna What Now?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 23, 2010
518
0
0
Visit site
KazakhNeRider said:
Official press-releases are always some kind of propaganda. Astana's 5 years history contains a lot of scandals, problems and troubles, but in the same time - a lot of great wins as well. We love our team, you hate - it's a life:)

Hate? nope. Cautious to how it has treated it riders financialy. Murky background etc.....that's all. History has shown these teams end up the same way. Emmbarassing cycling once again.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Hate? nope. Cautious to how it has treated it riders financialy. Murky background etc.....that's all. History has shown these teams end up the same way. Emmbarassing cycling once again.
then why did all those riders stay despite not getting paid?? All johan bruyneel propaganda bull****
 
KazakhNeRider said:
there's some information that Shleck's project is still short of money. On astanafans.com we decided to offer them to combine our rest of Astana and Shleck's team rosters!:)

we were ready for this even half year before, because official Astana's site has name Astana.Lu!:)
So it's just a matter to add Astana-Luxemburg Dream Team and everyone will be happy:D

don't take it too serious but nothing's impossible...

For a rider (Andy Schleck) who has blown 2 very good chances of Tour success by forgetting to eat on a mountain stage and then losing his chain in the midst of an attack while wearing the leader's jersey, I'd have to question his ability to make the right decisions at crucial moments. Announcing his exodus from Saxo Bank before all the financials for Team Luxembourgh were in place wasn't exactly the best move one could have made. Riis never stopped holding out hope that he could secure sponsorship money to continue running the team but he also did not discourage his riders to seek out opportunities elsewhere in the meantime considering the precariousness of his/their situation.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Schlecks over to Astana for a year if they can't come up with the money for next season would a delicious sort of irony!

definitely preferable to the rumour that the Schlecks would go to the Shack... not to mention that Vino could sure teach the Schlecklett some much needed lessons in attacking! and wouldn't you think he knows Contador's weaknesses? who better than Vino to teach Andy to live by that black bracelet CSC riders once sported -- HARDEN THE F**K UP?

i was rooting for Riccò to join Asana, but that could wait another year :p
 
Aug 4, 2010
1
0
0
Visit site
Yeah, I found it kind of ironic that now the Schlecks might end up at Astana... Out of all the people that they might sign (Schlecks, Menchov, Kreuziger), they're bound to get at least one solid Grand Tour contender. I'm sure they're going to end up fine. Contador joining SBS was not the worst thing that could happen to them. They're probably not going to win the TdF next year but any of those guys could be serious contenders if they work well with the rest of the team.
 
Jun 9, 2010
2,007
0
0
Visit site
The Hitch said:
we have had similar threads (and will probably have a few more). In one of those i said - Michelle Scarponi. Cheap and talent for t-a and gts.

He already signed with Lampre for 2 years tho...
 
Mar 18, 2009
223
0
0
Visit site
Angliru said:
For a rider (Andy Schleck) who has blown 2 very good chances of Tour success by forgetting to eat on a mountain stage and then losing his chain in the midst of an attack while wearing the leader's jersey, I'd have to question his ability to make the right decisions at crucial moments. Announcing his exodus from Saxo Bank before all the financials for Team Luxembourgh were in place wasn't exactly the best move one could have made. Riis never stopped holding out hope that he could secure sponsorship money to continue running the team but he also did not discourage his riders to seek out opportunities elsewhere in the meantime considering the precariousness of his/their situation.

Perfect summary, Angrilu - that was the same conclusion I came to. Plus the fact that IF they do get the funding, management, team in place, there is always the issue with a racing license. Maybe they will have to ride for the Shack and then take over that license ;)
 
Jun 23, 2010
518
0
0
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
then why did all those riders stay despite not getting paid?? All johan bruyneel propaganda bull****

...........because those riders are professional riders. Unlike Astanna's paymasters. They rode out of neccesity to keep form. They rode cause that's all they know. Now after, finally, getting paid those who can have jumped ship. Not so easy for them riders who how'd you say are second tier.
p.s i'm no Bruyneel fan. Just calling it as I see it.
 
Mar 12, 2009
2,521
0
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
...........because those riders are professional riders. Unlike Astanna's paymasters. They rode out of neccesity to keep form. They rode cause that's all they know. Now after, finally, getting paid those who can have jumped ship. Not so easy for them riders who how'd you say are second tier.
p.s i'm no Bruyneel fan. Just calling it as I see it.

You really might want to read some more before posting BS like that, just a friendly advise. ;)
 
Jun 23, 2010
518
0
0
Visit site
peloton said:
You really might want to read some more before posting BS like that, just a friendly advise. ;)

As someone who has been an avid cycling fan since the early 80's I reckon i'm entitled to my opinion based upon what i've seen in all those years.....SUSPECT was wriiten all over Astanna an is since day one.
 
Jul 23, 2010
312
1
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
As someone who has been an avid cycling fan since the early 80's I reckon i'm entitled to my opinion based upon what i've seen in all those years.....SUSPECT was wriiten all over Astanna an is since day one.

yes, all the suspects are under investigation right now(LA,LL,JB, et al)
 
Mar 12, 2009
2,521
0
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
As someone who has been an avid cycling fan since the early 80's I reckon i'm entitled to my opinion based upon what i've seen in all those years.....SUSPECT was wriiten all over Astanna an is since day one.

we all are, of course, I just gave you a friendly advice, nothing more.

What other source do you have for the Astana money problems except what the Hog and LA said?
That was BS, as we all know very well now. ;)
 

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
3,171
0
0
Visit site
suisse10-miss10.jpg
 
Jun 26, 2009
171
0
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
As someone who has been an avid cycling fan since the early 80's I reckon i'm entitled to my opinion based upon what i've seen in all those years.....SUSPECT was wriiten all over Astanna an is since day one.

Kazakh fans started to inform about troubles with sponsors payment almost two months before than Bruyneel reported first time. You can check it on our astanafans.com. So - it was lack of professionalism, even if we take in consideration cruel finance crisis in that time.

But we can state that Astana is still alive - already 5 years despite the fact that
.....SUSPECT was wriiten all over Astanna an is since day one.
 
Jun 23, 2010
518
0
0
Visit site
KazakhNeRider said:
Kazakh fans started to inform about troubles with sponsors payment almost two months before than Bruyneel reported first time. You can check it on our astanafans.com. So - it was lack of professionalism, even if we take in consideration cruel finance crisis in that time.

But we can state that Astana is still alive - already 5 years despite the fact that

I just don't understand why sucessful rider SenorContador, would feel the need to leave the team so suddenly, which he has won so much with? Why??
 
It will be good to see Kaschekin riding again, regardless of who it's for. Maybe he could finish in the top 10 of the tour next year.

I like the climbing ability of Daniel Navaro. I he still with Astana? Maybe he could develop into a team leader in a couple of years? Or did he go with Contador to Saxo Bank?
 
Jul 14, 2009
744
0
0
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
It will be good to see Kaschekin riding again, regardless of who it's for. Maybe he could finish in the top 10 of the tour next year.

I like the climbing ability of Daniel Navaro. I he still with Astana? Maybe he could develop into a team leader in a couple of years? Or did he go with Contador to Saxo Bank?

He's going with Contador as his loyal super-domestique. I think it's extremely doubtful he'll ever be a GT contender. Even if he had stayed with Astana, he would have had to work for one of their new signings-Kreuziger/Menchov.
 
Aug 18, 2009
4,993
1
0
Visit site
I don't really see why Astana need a Kreuziger or Menchov. Vino could still ride a top ten at the Tour, and the team has strong one-day riders. Unless Vino's wanting to retire. If they need a new leader, they should just hire Ricco, and retain a similar image among the fans (attacks, doped).
 
May 15, 2009
843
0
0
Visit site
taiwan said:
I don't really see why Astana need a Kreuziger or Menchov. Vino could still ride a top ten at the Tour, and the team has strong one-day riders. Unless Vino's wanting to retire. If they need a new leader, they should just hire Ricco, and retain a similar image among the fans (attacks, doped).

Vino is older next year. They need some new blood. but Ricco's coming will destroy Astana. ASO and UCI will not allow them to take part in big races. and their PT license runs out this year.

It is easy for fans to talk something just for fun. if Ricco comes, i bet we will never see Astana race in big races. is it that those who talking about Ricco joining Astana really want to see? Astana/Ricco/doper Haters?