• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

At least we now know who is NOT the unidentified former USPS rider. . .

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
David Zabriskie tells LA Times he's not the former USPS rider who testified. . .

From the Los Angeles Times, August 8, 2010:

Zabriskie said Sunday he had not been contacted by federal authorities and also said he was not the unidentified cyclist who was quoted in the New York Times last week as having seen Armstrong illegally dope.

Asked if he would cooperate if he were asked to testify to the grand jury, Zabriskie said, "That's my understanding of the law. I'd have to, right?"

He said he couldn't comment any further on the federal probe, although he did say cycling would be fine no matter what happened.

"In five years," he said, "this will just be another [doping] investigation."

There's some additional information about Bahati and the investigation in the article as well.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
sub240 said:
"Just another doping investigation" what a sad statement.

Sad but true. As was pointed out to me, DeeZNutz was rooming with Landis for awhile. Connect the dots.

I think some current riders would love to move on quietly to a clean sport. I suspect DZ is one of those riders, and his performances over the past few seasons have indicated as much.

sub240 said:
Depends on how you choose to read it. It's perfectly reasonable to think he's just saying this won't be the end of cycling and that LA is ultimately just another rider, and that the investigation should proceed without more drama than necessary.

sub240 said:

If you're looking for a hero in DZ you need to look elsewhere. He is just another doped rider. Maybe he's clean today but he was part of the system. I choose to read it just like he said it, this is just another doping investigation. Thats all it is and all it should be.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
If you're looking for a hero in DZ you need to look elsewhere. He is just another doped rider. Maybe he's clean today but he was part of the system. I choose to read it just like he said it, this is just another doping investigation. Thats all it is and all it should be.

You're right - that's all it is, just another doping investigation.

Although to listen to Armstrong and his lawyers you would think it was a 'which hunt'.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:

none of these guys are heros there athletes no less no more . any athlete you hold up as a hero will let you down at some point there imperfect humans. it is just another scandal same as festina etc.. and it to will pass and there will still be bike races no doubt.

sub240

BANNED
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:

I was not looking for a hero. Maybe your looking for something? It is hard to understand DZ even if he is sober.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
QuickStepper said:
From the Los Angeles Times, August 8, 2010:

Zabriskie said Sunday he had not been contacted by federal authorities and also said he was not the unidentified cyclist who was quoted in the New York Times last week as having seen Armstrong illegally dope.

Asked if he would cooperate if he were asked to testify to the grand jury, Zabriskie said, "That's my understanding of the law. I'd have to, right?"

He said he couldn't comment any further on the federal probe, although he did say cycling would be fine no matter what happened.

"In five years," he said, "this will just be another [doping] investigation."

There's some additional information about Bahati and the investigation in the article as well.

Flip side of this of course is that DZ was hardly going to tell the LA Times....

"Yea, I was in with Jeff, he has to buy a new I-phone because I sang like a bird. And the anonymous guy in the NYT article who wouldn't give his name - ya, that was me, not JV - JV was in last week with George."
"And I gave Jeff some DZ-Nuts lotion for his head, so he'll be super smooth in court".....

May 25, 2009
Visit site
sub240 said:

Yes, Just another doping investigation involving a global celbrity and one the most famous Americans in sport. Nobody investigated in the past had anywhere near the fame Arstrong has or the net worth- maybe Bjarne Riis to the 500 people in Denmark :).

I don't agree this is just another doping investigation.

sub240

BANNED
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Yes, Just another doping investigation involving a global celbrity and one the most famous Americans in sport. Nobody investigated in the past had anywhere near the fame Arstrong has or the net worth- maybe Bjarne Riis to the 500 people in Denmark :).

I don't agree this is just another doping investigation.

Well you are right it is not just another doping investigation. I would never have made that statement. Then again I am not DZ and hitting the bong much to often.

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
Flip side of this of course is that DZ was hardly going to tell the LA Times....

"Yea, I was in with Jeff, he has to buy a new I-phone because I sang like a bird. And the anonymous guy in the NYT article who wouldn't give his name - ya, that was me, not JV - JV was in last week with George."
"And I gave Jeff some DZ-Nuts lotion for his head, so he'll be super smooth in court".....

Which was my thought. Jeff made a point in the NYT article that the rider in question did not want his name used. If it were DZ, why would he then out himself when asked about it? I don't think this rules out DZ in any way. I mean, Armstrong still says he is clean when asked by reporters about it, but we all know that's bullsh!t too.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I would say the safe money is on CVV.

I'd bet it was Frankie. He has already confessed to doping as a rider and has gone to court against LA. Because he has already confessed to doping, the only thing he puts in jeopardy is his job on Versus interviewing Lance.

CVV, on the other hand, if it was him, has just guaranteed himself unemployment for next year due to a suspension and will have no ability to make money as a team manager either.

Squares said:
I'd bet it was Frankie. He has already confessed to doping as a rider and has gone to court against LA. Because he has already confessed to doping, the only thing he puts in jeopardy is his job on Versus interviewing Lance.

CVV, on the other hand, if it was him, has just guaranteed himself unemployment for next year due to a suspension and will have no ability to make money as a team manager either.

I think Frankie has some pretty good odds as well. If you look at motivation because it plays a factor in a persons decision to talk he is a tough call. He clearly has an ax to grind with LA so he is motivated to talk. I don't know this to be fact but I'm sure Frankie still wants to be a DS and he may see talking as a career limiting move. Omerta may have a bump or bruise but its still alive and well in the pro ranks. Could CVV be a modern day Bassons? He knew the score but never sat at the table? If so he can talk and ride tomorrow and if he's not clean all these guys fear a perjury charge. USADA will cut deals with the rats which I am fundamentally against but I understand its necessary to burn this whole thing down.

I thought this new person was someone never linked to doping, which would rule Frankie out?

As I said before on here, I'm not sure what else Frankie has to say that he hasn't already? He confessed, said how he got the EPO and when he used it. He backed up what Betsy heard in the hospital. And he wasn't part of the privy group that went into Switzerland to train with Ferrari, so was not privy to that. He and JV also already said what they were talking about in the IM was second hand. They probably both believed it, but that doesn't equate to knowing it. Plus, he left USPS two years before Floyd even got there. He may have more to say, but I really don't expect any bombshells or smoking guns to come from his testimony.

It's also my understanding that Frankie doesn't really have an ax to grind with Lance, as some people think. Betsy doesn't like the guy, but she has said that Lance treats Frankie like a friend, as Frankie has always been straight with Lance.

While CVV is a guess, there are a lot of other names from lesser known riders that are not even on some people's radar it could be.

A

Anonymous

Frankie? Fanboys can only hope it is someone who has already gone on record about his own and Armstrong's doping. Cross your fingers, scruntch your eyes reallllllll tight, click your heels together, and say over and over "Only those who have an easily explainable 'grudge' will be the ones to confirm this." Unfortunately, my best guess is that it is someone not on the record up until this point.

***edited by mod***

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
I thought this new person was someone never linked to doping, which would rule Frankie out?

As I said before on here, I'm not sure what else Frankie has to say that he hasn't already? He confessed, said how he got the EPO and when he used it. He backed up what Betsy heard in the hospital. And he wasn't part of the privy group that went into Switzerland to train with Ferrari, so was not privy to that. He and JV also already said what they were talking about in the IM was second hand. They probably both believed it, but that doesn't equate to knowing it. Plus, he left USPS two years before Floyd even got there. He may have more to say, but I really don't expect any bombshells or smoking guns to come from his testimony.

It's also my understanding that Frankie doesn't really have an ax to grind with Lance, as some people think. Betsy doesn't like the guy, but she has said that Lance treats Frankie like a friend, as Frankie has always been straight with Lance.

While CVV is a guess, there are a lot of other names from lesser known riders that are not even on some people's radar it could be.

It is, they are just trying to keep hope alive.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
In the article it said someone who has never tested positive. So it could be Frankie in that he admitted drug use but im still plumping for CVV based on JV comments at the TDF.

A

Anonymous

I actually think it's DZ. Could be CVV, but because of DZ's relationship with FLandis, I still believe it is him regardless of his LA Times denial of the fact. Again, the NYT piece clearly stated the the rider in question wants to remain anonymous. Why would he out himself if asked a question by another reporter?

Thoughtforfood said:
I actually think it's DZ. Could be CVV, but because of DZ's relationship with FLandis, I still believe it is him regardless of his LA Times denial of the fact. Again, the NYT piece clearly stated the the rider in question wants to remain anonymous. Why would he out himself if asked a question by another reporter?

DZ has been linked to doping so if you accept any part of the original article as fact its not him. You have outed yourself several times today so why wouldn't DZ?

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

I don't think so, the article states "The rider, who has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs or methods..."

IIRC, Frankie never tested positive so that phrase could be used to correctly identify him, and keep it anonymous.

However, after going back to the NYTimes article from 2006 that had Frankie's confession I think it really opens things up.

The 2006 NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/12/sports/othersports/12cycling.html?pagewanted=print says "Neither rider ever tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, but both said they felt as if they had to take EPO to make the Tour team in 1999."

My bet is that they called back someone that previously admitted to them that they had doped and who is now out of cycling. The team that year was LA, Hamilton, Hincapie, Andreu, CVV, Vaughters, Pascal Deramé, Peter Meinert-Nielsen, and Kevin Livingston.

I wouldn't expect CVV given that it may lead to his loss of his result in the 2009 tour. Livingston has his ties to Mellow Johnny's.

Who knows anything about Derame or Meinert-Nielson?

TRENDING THREADS