• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

At least we now know who is NOT the unidentified former USPS rider. . .

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
From ESPN, a look back at the 1999 TdF Postal team time trial ("The Race that Changed Everything"):

Peter Meinert Nielsen
Then: The senior member of the 1999 Postal Tour roster at age 33, the former Danish road champion had been a member of the Dutch TVM and Telekom teams before then-director Johnny Weltz, a fellow Dane, recruited him to join Postal in 1997. Meinert Nielsen had established his credentials as a big (6-2), sturdy domestique in two previous Tours with the team. However, during the race, Meinert Nielsen developed severe tendinitis that inflamed one knee and, as Andreu recalled, "was riding with one leg" until he was forced to abandon during Stage 13. He rejoined the team for the victory laps on the Champs-Elysees. Meinert Nielsen retired after the following season and worked as an assistant director for a Danish team.

Now: Meinert Nielsen, now the owner of a kitchen supply store in Denmark, still works part-time with a Continental-level team

Unless he has some business here in the U.S., I don't see Meinert-Neilsen coming over here to provide testimony to a GJ, or information voluntarily to investigators in the U.S. working with the U.S. atty's office. Of course, anything's possible. Anyone know anything substantive about his kitchen-supply business, like does he buy or sell product in or from the U.S.? Deal with U.S. suppliers? Perhaps attending a trade show, so he conveniently shows up in the U.S.?

Also, from the same ESPN article:

Pascal Derame
Then: Derame (pronounced day-ramay) rode for the French GAN team for two seasons before joining Postal in 1997 at the behest of then-leader Jean-Cyril Robin, who didn't want to be the only Frenchman on the team. A workhorse with an occasionally zany sense of humor, Derame dyed his hair purple during the '98 Tour, where Robin finished sixth; in one of his top moments in the sport, he competed for a stage win in a breakaway and ultimately finished fourth. There were no such individual pursuits the following year, when Derame put in steady, daily efforts on the front of the peloton, helping the better climbers on the team save energy to aid and abet Armstrong. Derame left Postal in 2000 for the French Bonjour team, but said he suffered somewhat of a letdown racing the Tour again after the extraordinary events of 1999.

Now: After retiring in 2002 because of burnout, Derame became a licensed coach and now works with the young would-be pros called "espoirs" -- literally "hopefuls" -- in his native Brittany. He is well aware of the mixed emotions Armstrong arouses in France, but said simply, "Nothing has spoiled my memories of the 1999 Tour."

Could be Derame. But then again it could be either of them since they both apparently still "work in cycling", Derame as a coach and Meinert-Neilsen who works with Conti-level teams. Why either of them would come to the U.S. or work with any investigation is curious though.

Did either of them ever test positive for anything? If so, it would rule them out. Just asking.

Of course, the Bonnie Ford article only covered the guys who rode on the U.S.P.S. TdF team. The roster was bigger than just those 9 guys, and the NYTimes story didn't say it was someone from the 1999 team and there are a huge number of possibilities.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I think Frankie has some pretty good odds as well. If you look at motivation because it plays a factor in a persons decision to talk he is a tough call. He clearly has an ax to grind with LA so he is motivated to talk. I don't know this to be fact but I'm sure Frankie still wants to be a DS and he may see talking as a career limiting move. Omerta may have a bump or bruise but its still alive and well in the pro ranks. Could CVV be a modern day Bassons? He knew the score but never sat at the table? If so he can talk and ride tomorrow and if he's not clean all these guys fear a perjury charge. USADA will cut deals with the rats which I am fundamentally against but I understand its necessary to burn this whole thing down.

This type of talk cracks me up every time I read it. :D

A

Anonymous

JRTinMA said:
DZ has been linked to doping so if you accept any part of the original article as fact its not him. You have outed yourself several times today so why wouldn't DZ?

Hey, I am just glad I found another man willing to be as open as am I here. I am actually happy that people like us have the freedom to be open about our sexuality these days. When a manly man like you tells me to ask him out like you did...well, it just gives me the vapors.

Anyway, please post the link to DZ's doping. I know there have been rumors (as there have been about....oh, every single rider in the peloton), but I want to see the print. Oh wait, you don't have a link, do you?

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Funny how so many are trying to figure out who will be "willing" to spill the beans based on a position in cycling or losing palmares or fear of Lance. You talk or you go to jail. Period. Jail time can put an immediate dent in your career plans. Can Lance supply everyone with get out of jail free cards?

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
henryg said:
Funny how so many are trying to figure out who will be "willing" to spill the beans based on a position in cycling or losing palmares or fear of Lance. You talk or you go to jail. Period. Jail time can put an immediate dent in your career plans. Can Lance supply everyone with get out of jail free cards?

Are you assuming that everyone who testifies at the GJ has been given immunity?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Anyway, please post the link to DZ's doping. I know there have been rumors (as there have been about....oh, every single rider in the peloton), but I want to see the print. Oh wait, you don't have a link, do you?

http://su13.us/send_dopestrong_to_jail

This is an email I received about Zabriskie from a USA Cycling Team Member.

"Matt Wilson"

To:

"Stolen Underground"
OK Matt- I've got a
little story for you.

In 2000 when I was on Hot Tubes we were staying in in Izegem
Belgium
with the U23 National Team. At the time I think it was Josh Thorton,
Dave Zabriskie, Aaron Olson, and a few others. One night Dave
Zabriskie was packing his bags to prepare for a stage race in France.
We were all hanging out in his room chatting. At one point he
was
packing up a small toiletries bag when it slipped and fell out of his
hands. When it hit the ground about 10 syringes fell everywhere. He
quickly picked up everything and said "Those are for popping
saddle
sores boys".

Everyone laughed
because we knew the truth. Those needles were not
for popping saddle sores, but for administering injections. He went
on to get 5th at World's TT Championships that year.

A

Anonymous

131313 said:

"Matt Wilson"

To:

"Stolen Underground"
OK Matt- I've got a
little story for you.

Belgium
was
saddle
sores boys".

Everyone laughed

Again, I am looking for mainstream media, because in context of this discussion (the one involving the NYT article-because I don't think the reporter from the NYT would consider unsubstantiated rumor to pass for being connected with doping. Please understand, I am fully aware that DZ doped. I just don't believe there has ever been anything that would keep a reporter from writing that the rider in question has no doping positives.).

What I also recognize is this, I am fairly certain from one of your posts that you do know the identity of the rider in question, and because you posted this, believe that my assertion that it is DZ is incorrect.

It appears that I am wrong.

Squares said:
I'd bet it was Frankie. He has already confessed to doping as a rider and has gone to court against LA. Because he has already confessed to doping, the only thing he puts in jeopardy is his job on Versus interviewing Lance.

CVV, on the other hand, if it was him, has just guaranteed himself unemployment for next year due to a suspension and will have no ability to make money as a team manager either.

He could always work for Stapleton (Aldag), Riis, or "the past is the past" Vaughters...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
LKing25 said:
In the article it said someone who has never tested positive. So it could be Frankie in that he admitted drug use but im still plumping for CVV based on JV comments at the TDF.

I think Frankie's wife has stated on here that he is not involved (yet). Sure, that was some time back.

Zabriskie said Sunday he had not been contacted by federal authorities and also said he was not the unidentified cyclist who was quoted in the New York Times last week as having seen Armstrong illegally dope.

This is starting to sound like the mafia when they are tipped off that there is a rat in their midst. Everyone claims they are not the rat while they look suspiciously at everyone else.

Actual photo of Armstrong and his teammates:

Rats+Brighton+antiques+mafia.jpg

131313 said:

"Matt Wilson"

To:

"Stolen Underground"
OK Matt- I've got a
little story for you.

Belgium
was
saddle
sores boys".

Everyone laughed

That doesnt mean much. Could have been syringes for b12 injections. Everyone does them. Unless we see a rider injecting a vial with a certain label, we are just assuming.

mr. tibbs said:
He could always work for Stapleton (Aldag), Riis, or "the past is the past" Vaughters...

You guys are way too hard on Vaughters. He could be a LeMond type but instead he sets up a teams and gets it into the ProTour. He created a safe haven for ex-dopers. A mens shelter if you will for guys who still want a job and to ride but without being an addict. Give him credit. He does a tremendous amount for the anti-doping movement. As I've always said JV is anti-doping not anti-Lance. There's a difference.

As for Dave Z and proof of doping - what more do you need? - get out your 2005 Tour videos and watch the opening stage. He pumped both Armstrong and Ullrich in the time trial! I mean come on! Not possible. In fact he was winning time trials LRC! None the less he's clean now but even thou great friends with Floyd he dropped him and lost contact.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
QuickStepper said:
From ESPN, a look back at the 1999 TdF Postal team time trial ("The Race that Changed Everything"):

Unless he has some business here in the U.S., I don't see Meinert-Neilsen coming over here to provide testimony to a GJ, or information voluntarily to investigators in the U.S. working with the U.S. atty's office. Of course, anything's possible. Anyone know anything substantive about his kitchen-supply business, like does he buy or sell product in or from the U.S.? Deal with U.S. suppliers? Perhaps attending a trade show, so he conveniently shows up in the U.S.?

Also, from the same ESPN article:

Could be Derame. But then again it could be either of them since they both apparently still "work in cycling", Derame as a coach and Meinert-Neilsen who works with Conti-level teams. Why either of them would come to the U.S. or work with any investigation is curious though.

Did either of them ever test positive for anything? If so, it would rule them out. Just asking.

Of course, the Bonnie Ford article only covered the guys who rode on the U.S.P.S. TdF team. The roster was bigger than just those 9 guys, and the NYTimes story didn't say it was someone from the 1999 team and there are a huge number of possibilities.

PMN was interviewed by his local paper and had the "I see nothing" defense.

He is a great example of what an idiot The Hog is. Jemison was riding great that year but because of his erratic behavior and dreams of a stage victory they took PMN instead....even though he had just had knee surgery three weeks prior. It was no surprise when he dropped out.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I thought this new person was someone never linked to doping, which would rule Frankie out?

As I said before on here, I'm not sure what else Frankie has to say that he hasn't already? He confessed, said how he got the EPO and when he used it. He backed up what Betsy heard in the hospital. And he wasn't part of the privy group that went into Switzerland to train with Ferrari, so was not privy to that. He and JV also already said what they were talking about in the IM was second hand. They probably both believed it, but that doesn't equate to knowing it. Plus, he left USPS two years before Floyd even got there. He may have more to say, but I really don't expect any bombshells or smoking guns to come from his testimony.

It's also my understanding that Frankie doesn't really have an ax to grind with Lance, as some people think. Betsy doesn't like the guy, but she has said that Lance treats Frankie like a friend, as Frankie has always been straight with Lance.

While CVV is a guess, there are a lot of other names from lesser known riders that are not even on some people's radar it could be.
+1. Nice post.

I really don't see how can Frankie Andrew bring anything new or of value to the investigation. Especially since they are investigating Landis cycling period with US Postal.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
+1. Nice post.

I really don't see how can Frankie Andrew bring anything new or of value to the investigation. Especially since they are investigating Landis cycling period with US Postal.

+1. The starting point of any investigation would be to back up what Landis has said - so I assume it is someone from the 2002-2004 team.

Also,from the NYT article:
The rider, who has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs or methods, asked that his name not be used because investigators advised him not to speak publicly about the information he provided. He has not been called before the grand jury that has been convened in Los Angeles to investigate the case.
The rider did not testify before a GJ - which is why I believe it may be someone outside the jurisdiction of the US..... Micheal Barry??

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
sub240 said:
Well you are right it is not just another doping investigation. I would never have made that statement. Then again I am not DZ and hitting the bong much to often.

hitting the bong whats that have to do with anything? your an idiot that much is clear.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
sub240 said:
I was not looking for a hero. Maybe your looking for something? It is hard to understand DZ even if he is sober.

i like dz he is far less political in his words and does not memorize his lines like most.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
i like dz he is far less political in his words and does not memorize his lines like most.

Anyone who has ever listened to a DZ interview or seen one of his nut cream adds on YT comes away thinking that the guy is a complete whack job, with a crayon or two missing from the box, POT INDUCED OR NOT.

Frankly I think it's all by design and that the guy is actually pretty cagey, so even if he was the one interviewed, he is not stupid enough to show his hand. I figure he could be one of a number of likely suspects that have been in or will be shortly to chat with Jeff.

I also think they are selectively dripping the information out to the press as part of their strategy. But the short list is pretty obvious . . . JV, CVV, MW, MB, DZ, GH. Pretty boy Floyd and TH have already sang for their supper in my opinion. I also think the most credible witness to spill his guts, if it happens, would be George.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Yes, Just another doping investigation involving a global celbrity and one the most famous Americans in sport. Nobody investigated in the past had anywhere near the fame Arstrong has or the net worth- maybe Bjarne Riis to the 500 people in Denmark :).

I don't agree this is just another doping investigation.

it is at the moment. if anything more than a whiff of suspicion and a few slaps on the wrist for minor players comes out of it, then you might become correct.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
henryg said:

nonsense. what are they going to get jail time for? "i can't remember" or "i didn't see anything" has worked as a defense for much weightier crimes than these guys are accused of.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
You guys are way too hard on Vaughters. He could be a LeMond type but instead he sets up a teams and gets it into the ProTour. He created a safe haven for ex-dopers. A mens shelter if you will for guys who still want a job and to ride but without being an addict. Give him credit. He does a tremendous amount for the anti-doping movement. As I've always said JV is anti-doping not anti-Lance. There's a difference.

sounds like you are pretty easy on Vaughters. any evidence whatsoever that any of these ex-dopers have kicked the habit?

TRENDING THREADS