• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AToC - what was Backstedt's opinion on the Landis case?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi all
I missed the AToC coverage. Just wondered what stance Magnus took when commenting on the Landis case.
Did anyone hear?

I remember he didn't mince words when he criticised Rock Racing.

Cheers
thingswelike

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The guy he was working with started out trying to debunk the whole thing, Landis had no credibility, and on and on. It was awful to listen to. Then Magnus had his turn, slipped into neutral, and pretty much said that if there's something to it, we'd learn more soon, and that was that. I only heard him on the day Lance crashed, though

Carlton Kirby is the man who said that electric gears were only allowed in time trials and were not allowed in road races as the cost of bikes has to be kept low so everyone can afford to race. I believed that as much as I believed his comments on Landis.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I know - there must be better than Carlton! Although you need to speak a few languages and constantly talk for a few hours. It must be a pretty tough job. I find Mag to be terrific though - does exactly what a colour commentator should.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Kirby is excruciating to listen to at the best of times and his response to the Landis stuff had me fuming. Maggie's too polite to make a fellow commentator look like an idiot so he chose not to say much.

One Kirby gem from that race was in discussing George Hincapie's varicose vains, opining that he wouldn't want to have them operated on during his racing career because they might interfere with his "renal dialog"!!!

Not sure what conversations with kidneys have got to do with varicose veins ...

TRENDING THREADS