• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Augusterone, new Garmin wonderdrug!!!

Seriuosly, what is it with Garmin & August, last year they had a super August and this year its shaping up to be even better, Martin wins Poland & Tre Vallees, Farrar wins Vattenfalls again and other riders are winning. They almost have as many wins in August as in the rest of the season so when is Tommy D gonna get in on the action.

A

Anonymous

everyone else aimed to peak for the tour and are now on the downward form curve. Garmin have peaked in the silly season again. Simple. Its like asking why do aussie domestic riders look good in the tour down under.

TeamSkyFans said:
everyone else aimed to peak for the tour and are now on the downward form curve. Garmin have peaked in the silly season again. Simple. Its like asking why do aussie domestic riders look good in the tour down under.

Hey, its better than not peak at all.

Sorry, this one was obvious.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Clinic.

Mods please move.

Its not actually a doping conversation - just a joke headline. For the moment I will allow it but please everybody keep going with the current theme of the thread and do not introduce doping talk or infractions will be given and it will be moved to the clinic.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

More craptalk from LeTour only cycling fan. There's more to cycling that the TourDeFrance matey!! ;)

scribe said:
They are always looking to peak at Leadville.

That is Radio Shack. The peaks are actually timed for Leadville and Gila. More precisely, they are timed for races where no other Pro Tour riders will show up. Expect to see Leipheimer show up and kill it at local MS150s--provided no other riders from a Pro Tour team start the rides of course.

A

Anonymous

boardhanger said:
More craptalk from LeTour only cycling fan. There's more to cycling that the TourDeFrance matey!! ;)

Thats probably one of the most pointless posts I have ever read. Le Tour Only Cycling fan?????

The tour is very low on my list of priorities, the classics are first for me by a mile, then the giro, the tour is a very poor relation. If you check out my post count most of them were during the classics. We went to the last stage of the tour and then went on holiday, I could not even tell you the top ten in the tour this year as we had no internet while we were away.

On the website, whereas for the classics i was putting videos up within about half an hour of the race, i havnt even got round to putting the final tour results up yet :p

My point remains, a lot of teams especially the sprinters aimed to peak around the tour, and are now on that downward form turn, garmin as last year are peaking later in the season and grabbing wins.

but thank you for your insightful thoughts on my opinion. muppet

boardhanger said:

You fingered the wrong suspect there, fella. :cool:

Anyway, I reckon Dim has a point. Seems to me that a lot of teams are pretty much done for the year come August. Those who are still out there thrashing it are the ones who really need the wins.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

On the other hand, if you're willing to put the effort in, this is a good time to pick up some relatively easy UCI ranking points. Sky themselves will most likely big beneficiaries of this, as EBH (and maybe Gerrans at Plouay) moves them comfortably inside the all important top 17.

The Tour Down Under is another good race for fairly easy points. If Cav (forget the illness for now) rather than Greipel had won it, he might have more teammates for the worlds. He should do it next year.

A

Anonymous

happychappy said:
So when are Sky going to peak? :D

if you count the wins and second places they have done better than an awful lot of established teams. They have just managed to do it in races worth naff all points :D Sky are probably doing similar to garmin and picking them up now, Russ picking up the GC in wallonie, EBH targetting eneco, Sky likely winners of the ToB, and then aim for the october races. Lofkvist may fancy lombardia. But anyway, its the garmin thread :D

Jamsque said:
At the World Track Championships.

:D

witty title.

Garmin havent been looking to peak for August and they havent had that bad a season. Millar won 3 days of Depane. Farrar was by far the best sprinter at the giro and wore the malia rossa for a while, so they got what they wanted from the giro.

They got good publicity in the tour for jullian deans and farrars podiums in a stage or 2 and more importantly as being the team best able to disrupt the Colombia train, and in the end, destroy the train completely by tempting renshaw to go mad(not that it mattered to cav in the end).
Oh and thats before we even get to rider heysdal, who came out of knowehere to get them even more out of the tour.

This was about as good as it could possibly get for them given the circumstances. Zabriskie crashed in the prologue. Millar on stage 1 and was very weak for much of the tour. Team leader 1 CVV crashed out painfully with a broken collarbone (again) in stage 2. Team Leader 2 Tyler Farrar crashed and broke his rist in stage 3 and while he was able to postpone his own inevitable pull out with great heart and courage, stage 3 pretty much did it for him too.

THats arguably their top 4 riders (before the tour who thought heysdal would do what he did) , crashing badly on each of the first 4 days, all significantly weakened and the 2 main ones having to pull out (while David Millar was so weak towards the end, as far as his team were concerned he might as well have pulled out)

I challenge any team to do that well with only their 6 weaker riders on the squad.

Martin318is said:
Its not actually a doping conversation - just a joke headline. For the moment I will allow it but please everybody keep going with the current theme of the thread and do not introduce doping talk or infractions will be given and it will be moved to the clinic.

Thank you for not moving. This thread was never intended as a doping conversation. Maybe somebody actually believes Augusterone is a real drug;)

I just wanted to get opinions on why Garmin were having another outstanding August, was it planned or just luck. Thanks to those who have replied in that manner.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
august is a quiet month for big races, so doing well in august is usually the sign of a team that hasn't achieved their objectives so far in the season "pot-hunting" at the smaller races.
nothing more to it than that.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
is tuft doing the vuelta?? because I think he's such a marvelous talent despite his age

Garmin is bringing Tuft and Hesjedal to the Canadian races in September so no Vuelta for them. I imagine Tuft is targeting the Worlds TT and coming back to Canada in pretty inconvenient but it's a big deal for the sport in Canada so it'll be good to have him.

TRENDING THREADS