• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aussie domination on both sides of the Atlantic

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
The young Aussie's (& not so young) really seem to have come of age this week & this year. Stage wins today on both sides of the Atlantic with Matt Goss at the Giro & Brett Lancaster at the ToC. Add to that stage wins by Matt Lloyd & Cadel Evans in earlier stages at the Giro, Cadel fighting for overall honours and neo pro Ritchie Porte leading the u/23 category.

It is certainly exciting to see so many young guys riding well & delivering results. Pity we can't say the same for the POMS :D (sorry, I couldn't resist that one!).

dse1969 said:
The young Aussie's (& not so young) really seem to have come of age this week & this year. Stage wins today on both sides of the Atlantic with Matt Goss at the Giro & Brett Lancaster at the ToC. Add to that stage wins by Matt Lloyd & Cadel Evans in earlier stages at the Giro, Cadel fighting for overall honours and neo pro Ritchie Porte leading the u/23 category.

It is certainly exciting to see so many young guys riding well & delivering results. Pity we can't say the same for the POMS :D (sorry, I couldn't resist that one!).

Don't worry. Us POMS won't mention that little tournie that just finished in the Windies!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
dse1969 said:

but Wigans is gonna whoop all y'all asses in July.

The way I see it is that the Brits do not have role models that the rest of the world can look up to. The Aussies have Crocodile Dundee. The Brits have Mr. Bean. It's just not the same. Hugh Grant is not helping matters either.

Evans >>>>> Wigans

There is no contest.

Being serious for a minute, the more Aussies that win big races, the better - anything that gives the sport more recognition over here is a good thing..
If it helps cycling seep further into the minds of the public, it can only help the sport become more mainstream.. and hopefully, make the roads more cyclist friendly.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Being serious for a minute, the more Aussies that win big races, the better - anything that gives the sport more recognition over here is a good thing..
If it helps cycling seep further into the minds of the public, it can only help the sport become more mainstream.. and hopefully, make the roads more cyclist friendly.

Too true. The stage win by Cadel Evans made it onto the Channel Nine news. That's got to be good for cycling's profile in Australia.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
To broaden the debate a bit, besides the Giro and TOC, English speaking riders were 8 out of first ten in the Olympia Tour, leading the Tour of Japan, won the Tour of Picardie.

Is this a serious and sustainable shift in the cycling world towards English speaking countries and away from Europe?

Where are France, Holland and Belgium these days? Sacre bleu!!

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Boleyn said:
Don't worry. Us POMS won't mention that little tournie that just finished in the Windies!

Yes, well done England, or should I say South Africa/Ireland. There was only 1 Englishman in the team's top five and he averaged 10 runs a game!

And in the interests of keeping it on topic, Wiggins is currently 24th at 10.54, 2 spots behind Sastre :eek: and looking good for July....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
We have an Aussie "winning" that one in the Giro as well

It is good to see Sky riders going alright, after all, they just need to remember their boss is Australian:p

Fundamentally the shift to English speaking riders that started from the Early Eighties, Phil Anderson, Sean Kelley broke ground, Roche, LeMond, Hampsten, Bauer consolidated, LA cemented. We don't have 100 years of history but we now have a couple of Generations, that knowledge and those connections flow back into the local scene and people develop because of it
(Eg, it is un-likely Gerro would be in the pro tour if Phil Anderson didn't pick him out as a talent, now he has victories in all 3 GT's)

BTW this is not to belittle our pioneers, the Simpsons' (anyone who is World Champ and has a couple of monuments has earned respect, it is sad that he is remembered for his death more than anything else) , or the Oppy's and Mockeridges' (going to France Solo and getting fixed up), but really it all started with Kelley and Anderson, the others were more of an anomaly

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer said:
Yes, well done England, or should I say South Africa/Ireland. There was only 1 Englishman in the team's top five and he averaged 10 runs a game!

And in the interests of keeping it on topic, Wiggins is currently 24th at 10.54, 2 spots behind Sastre :eek: and looking good for July....

Plus, Wigans if half convict anyhow!!

dse1969 said:

Pssst! It's u/25... :p

BroDeal said:
The way I see it is that the Brits do not have role models that the rest of the world can look up to. The Aussies have Crocodile Dundee. The Brits have Mr. Bean. It's just not the same. Hugh Grant is not helping matters either.

Gold! Nearly launched the morning coffee over the desk reading this!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Yes, the americans have george w bush!

Well we do not nessercarily look up to the yanks. I guess there heads are too far stuck up there bums to realise Australia is even a country. So we should not look up to them.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, the americans have george w bush!

Well we do not nessercarily look up to the yanks. I guess there heads are too far stuck up there bums to realise Australia is even a country. So we should not look up to them.

This from a 20 something university student who acts like a little girl in his love of Evans....pees his pants at the sound of his name... haha

TRENDING THREADS