• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aussie Evans rides into lead in Spain.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
That's roight mates.

Hopefully the green jersey will stay away from him or he might try to wrestle it thinking it's a big salty.

Fortunately he's got fellow aussie Llody on the team to help him retain the golden fleece. Can't trust those foreigners.

blaxland said:
comn bro deal cant we aussies get our 15 minutes of fame too........

I would not mind seeing Evans win. I just have my doubts. I think concentrating on the Giro and the Vuelta the rest of his career might be a good strategy for Evans. It is ridiculous that Menchov has two and half GT wins and Evans has zero.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:

We've had it and lately its all been negative. First Evans in France, the Bledisloe Cup then the Ashes and finally the Socceroos getting cained by South Korea. It'll go negative again when the two Spaniards tag team Evans and Basso decides to play catch up. He should hang on while he can, cause I don't see him on the podium.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
We've had it and lately its all been negative. First Evans in France, the Bledisloe Cup then the Ashes and finally the Socceroos getting cained by South Korea. It'll go negative again when the two Spaniards tag team Evans and Basso decides to play catch up. He should hang on while he can, cause I don't see him on the podium.

+1. Its been quite depressing for an Aussie sports fan. The Boks also thrashed us and all our tennis players have been bundled out of the US Open. At least we won some events in the mountain bike world championships!

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I would not mind seeing Evans win. I just have my doubts. I think concentrating on the Giro and the Vuelta the rest of his career might be a good strategy for Evans. It is ridiculous that Menchov has two and half GT wins and Evans has zero.

+1.

Where others find a way to win, Cadel finds a way to lose.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:

Amen. If we don't support our riders who will? mabye the tide is changing and australian sport will come back into some form. We won the ODI cricket against the poms and beat RSA in the rugby. All we need now is for Cadel to take la vuelta home and i'll be a happy man.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

Can see this happening. That was disappointing in the Daupiné, seeing Evans' rare attacks neutralised by Contador. It could be harder for Sanchez and Valverde to work together, though, if they both want the overall enough.

Evans only has 2 seconds at this point, it could almost as easily been Valverde in gold, and it's early.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:
Fortunately he's got fellow aussie Llody on the team to help him retain the golden fleece. Can't trust those foreigners.

Good start, but to actually sound like an australian cycling fan you have to take that nonsense to an even more nonsensical level. Like this: "every non-australian rider's goal in life is to make sure australians don't win" :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Good start, but to actually sound like an australian cycling fan you have to take that nonsense to an even more nonsensical level. Like this: "every non-australian rider's goal in life is to make sure australians don't win" :D

Are you fair dinkum?:D

taiwan said:
Can see this happening. That was disappointing in the Daupiné, seeing Evans' rare attacks neutralised by Contador. It could be harder for Sanchez and Valverde to work together, though, if they both want the overall enough.

Evans only has 2 seconds at this point, it could almost as easily been Valverde in gold, and it's early.

It can actually help Evans. I mean, Valverde, Basso, Sanches have to attack each other, it may give Evans some chanches...

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
S/L already have a wallpaper up on their website with Cadel in the Gold jersey.
After every stage victory or podium placing in any race they make it the entry picture. Nothing pleases a sponsor more than seeing their logo blazoned across notice boards or computer screens.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
After every stage victory or podium placing in any race they make it the entry picture. Nothing pleases a sponsor more than seeing their logo blazoned across notice boards or computer screens.

So Evans in oro will be sil's entry pic till the Flemish classics? Must be an easy job for their site admin... They only have to wake him up once or twice a year ;)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
So Evans in oro will be sil's entry pic till the Flemish classics? Must be an easy job for their site admin... They only have to wake him up once or twice a year ;)

That's a bit harsh. They have a real good chance of winning the Sluitingsprijs Putte - Kapellen this year :D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Its also refreshing to see the Dutch take up there rivalry with Australia. Can't say I'm not surprised but Cadel found a way to loose the maillot oro pretty quickly. Scratch Gesink off Evans christmas card list after the sprint last night.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
S/L already have a wallpaper up on their website with Cadel in the Gold jersey.

They also posted thomas dekker's birthday up on the S/L site. They posted a disgraced rider's birthday of theirs which has brought bad press on the team on their site. Sounds a little strange to me!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I predict he will fail and wont even podium
sorry just my bold prediction :p
I am sure i'll have to eat my words in 2 weeks time :D

trust me mate, if he does, i will let you know as you will let me know if gesink wins.;)

TRENDING THREADS