• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aussie Haussler on the podium tonight?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Shame he couldn't finish 7th without a free tow from Chavanel - as poor a piece of wheelsucking as when Duclos-Lasalle beat Ballerini

After a great start to the season and some attacking riding, to be towed to the finish and then outsprint someone is just poor etiquette.

Why should Haussler have ever helped Chavanel in that spot? I think Cervélo was satisfied with having 1 guy there (Thor) vs a Boonen that was alone rather than being 2 vs 2 which could have been the case if they somehow could have bridged the gap. They obviously made the assumption that it would be best to not have Boonen get any help up there and Haussler just marked him so that in the off chance Boonen did get help they would have one extra rider too...

ingsve said:
Why should Haussler have ever helped Chavanel in that spot? I think Cervélo was satisfied with having 1 guy there (Thor) vs a Boonen that was alone rather than being 2 vs 2 which could have been the case if they somehow could have bridged the gap. They obviously made the assumption that it would be best to not have Boonen get any help up there and Haussler just marked him so that in the off chance Boonen did get help they would have one extra rider too...

I'm a big Haussler fan but this is wishful thinking. He rode that wheel b/c he couldn't come around it till the end. The race was already decided at that point, and eveyone behind Pippo were racing for 3rd+.

Why else do you think Chavanel was riding so hard? Haussler would be a bigger help to Hushovd than Chavanel would be to Boonen if they had managed to rejoin. But Chavanel was free to try to improve his finish b/c the top spots were already decided.

Haussler was strong in the lead-up races, but Roubaix's a different pace, and he just isn't at that level...

...yet.:D

TRENDING THREADS