• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Nationals

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Think everyone is happy with that.

Ewan will struggle to win races this year I think. As Beijing showed, his finishing speed just isn't enough to make him a first tier sprinter and now in the pros he will not have the advantage of being far less tired than everyone else. At the moment he's just a Matthews with five fewer seasons in his legs. That's not to say he will not be highly competitive on numerous occasions.

You know the circumstances of how the race unfolded or did you just look at the results?

Ewan attacked multiple times on the last hill dropping all the break riders,they later bridged. I am quite impressed he managed even 2nd with the attacks he was doing.

Gloin22 said:
You know the circumstances of how the race unfolded or did you just look at the results?

Ewan attacked multiple times on the last hill dropping all the break riders,they later bridged. I am quite impressed he managed even 2nd with the attacks he was doing.

Fair enough but I struggle to see him picking up many victories this year as he doesn't have the pace to match other Sprinters.

MatParker117 said:
Fair enough but I struggle to see him picking up many victories this year as he doesn't have the pace to match other Sprinters.

That has yet to be fully established. His biggest limitation evidenced to date is his lack of physical maturity. The next 12-18 months will tell us more

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
congrats to haussler,nice start of the season,things might get bit more interesting with sprints:p
from the report it looks it was good racing,would be cool to see it:)

TourOfSardinia said:
Is there any video of this up anywhere yet?
I had a good hunt around and couldn't find anything anywhere. Their federation will put a highlights video up on youtube in the next few days I expect, they did with the other races. Check back there regularly and I'm certain you'll find it.

In the end I couldn't hold out that long to find out the result so I got a sort of live ticker commentary instead by going back over this thread from about page 10. Worked quite well :), thanks to all who contributed.

I thought it was a great race, Spokes rode superbly, Flakemore should have rode for the sprint, Ewan rode superbly and has a great chance to win so many races. This demonstrated although he may not be a pure sprinter- he can still ride very well in difficult circumstances. Also his sprint speed is very good, so I still think he will cause a major upset of a big rider in a flat sprint this year.

Haussler rode courageously and as soon as he caught on, I knew he would win.

OGE made a mistake in letting Hepburn attack, he should have just rode tempo for Ewan and his move dropped Docker.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
I thought it was a great race, Spokes rode superbly, Flakemore should have rode for the sprint, Ewan rode superbly and has a great chance to win so many races. This demonstrated although he may not be a pure sprinter- he can still ride very well in difficult circumstances. Also his sprint speed is very good, so I still think he will cause a major upset of a big rider in a flat sprint this year.

Haussler rode courageously and as soon as he caught on, I knew he would win.

OGE made a mistake in letting Hepburn attack, he should have just rode tempo for Ewan and his move dropped Docker.

I didnt see the race but was just wondering why Orica was (once again) wasting Durbo in the break? I really feel that his engine/power is being misused and wasted by Orica with all these silly breaks. He could have been the big engine to bring it back for Meyer or Caleb E.

Jancouver said:
I didnt see the race but was just wondering why Orica was (once again) wasting Durbo in the break? I really feel that his engine/power is being misused and wasted by Orica with all these silly breaks. He could have been the big engine to bring it back for Meyer or Caleb E.

I have to agree with you there, not sure why he was working in the break instead of sitting in or leading the chase group. Also not sure why Hepburn went nuts instead of working with Ewan, he could have helped keep him fresh and blew Docker out the back as someone noted earlier.

Still, a great ride from Ewan, just could have been a bit smarter in the last lap. Hopefully he's learned a lot from this. Great to see Bobridge and Haussler continue their gradual return to form.

I was also really impressed by Angus Morton. His first big race after 5 years off and he's animating the race as part of the winning break - great stuff, hopefully him and Lachlan can get some nice results this year with Jelly Belly.

greenedge said:

42x16ss said:
I have to agree with you there, not sure why he was working in the break instead of sitting in or leading the chase group. Also not sure why Hepburn went nuts instead of working with Ewan, he could have helped keep him fresh and blew Docker out the back as someone noted earlier

At that stage in the race Drapac was toast. There was nobody keepign the pace on and and we have seen in past years that the breakaway can get swept up very quickly if they don't keep the pressure on. You saw what happened on the final climb when he cracked, nobody set any pace, the big favourites could very well have been back in the mix if that had happened the lap earlier.
Docker was cooked anyway, was just hanging onto the back of the group as it was.
Heppy's attack cut the group down to a level that was manageable for Ewen to control, they couldn't chase down every attack from 15 riders but from 6 it is possible.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the start list for the Tour Down Under, Haussler is a legit shot to win a stage or two. He won't beat Kittel in the flatter stages, but the stage to Stirling he has a huge shot on.

theyoungest said:
Not sure if this race is any indication... it was hardly the cream of the cycling crop there in the breakaway, and he got dropped initially.

He got himself back on and beat a guy you probably would not have expected him to, for early season form it's pretty promising for a guy who is always there or there abouts come spring. Sure it's early season and there's no where near the talent he'll see in Europe, but it's definitely encouraging.

Sasquatch said:
Looking at the start list for the Tour Down Under, Haussler is a legit shot to win a stage or two. He won't beat Kittel in the flatter stages, but the stage to Stirling he has a huge shot on.

What are the stats for the Stirling climb? Haussler didn't look that good on the climbs in the nationals from what I've seen.

TRENDING THREADS