• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Regional Race = Top News Story?

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I head over to the site today to find the story "Gippsland gets 70 percent bigger" ahead of some pretty serious results... This was something I always hated about the old site design and staff was that australian news/features/races got unfairly high placing on the site. Its not that I have some aussie pointed anger but at this point cyclingnews is a GLOBAL NEWS SITE.

If we're getting new site layouts and editorial agendas, can't a reshuffling of these stories be part of it? I'd have the same issue if It was any regional news, btw.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
The race is regional, but the riders include the latest Columbia-HTC recruit - Leigh Howard. Howard is the Omnium world champion and Madison silver medallist.

If your local / regional race included an olympian (Jack Bobridge), a world champion track rider (Howard) and Commonwealth games gold medallist (Sean Finning), would you consider that race sufficiently "global" even though all three riders were from one nation?

I certainly do.

If anything, I think the title simply needs more work to spice it up a bit. ;-)

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
The issue is not with who shows up vs. whether it makes it on the "big board." Its the old cyclingnews problem of "all the news that's fit to print as long as there isn't an Australian story to cover."

If they're going to claim they are building and expanding the site, that's a big part of it.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
awesometown said:
The issue is not with who shows up vs. whether it makes it on the "big board." Its the old cyclingnews problem of "all the news that's fit to print as long as there isn't an Australian story to cover."

If they're going to claim they are building and expanding the site, that's a big part of it.

Makes a change from hearing about every two-bit American race ala Velosnooze.

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Makes a change from hearing about every two-bit American race ala Velosnooze.

Yeah, well 2 wrongs don't make a right. But I'm not sure if velonews has the same sort of international audience that cyclingnews has (or had).

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
awesometown said:
I head over to the site today to find the story "Gippsland gets 70 percent bigger" ahead of some pretty serious results... This was something I always hated about the old site design and staff was that australian news/features/races got unfairly high placing on the site. Its not that I have some aussie pointed anger but at this point cyclingnews is a GLOBAL NEWS SITE.

If we're getting new site layouts and editorial agendas, can't a reshuffling of these stories be part of it? I'd have the same issue if It was any regional news, btw.

It is exactly because Cyclingnews is committed to covering the sport of cycling from a global perspective that you would see a story like this. There are editors posting stories in Australia, the US and the UK and contributors in many more countries so we try to not have a regional bias but a balance of stories coming on from all the major English-speaking cycling regions of the world. I'd rather see a story on the Gippsland Tour (which I can read or ignore at my discretion) than see only one regional spin on everything that happens in the sport.

As for the sort order on the site, news is posted in the order it is entered into the system. The editors have some ability to control what appears in the carousel and the top of the list of news stories but a news story is a news story - you see it in the order it was posted.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't care if Australian regional races become a top news story. Make that flash section full of those as an offset to removing the revealments of race results from it before one has even the chance to follow the races "re-live" in the live tickers here or anywhere in the internet.

I always welcomed that regional stuff on CN. So i felt a little bit like visiting Australia when visiting CN. That's ok. Actually i began to look for results of some small Australian teams since I started to love this site, as it was, once.