• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Away with Power Meters

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think the entire 21st century should be banned and we should go directly to 600 BC. The riders should be naked and oiled.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
pugdog said:
I think the entire 21st century should be banned and we should go directly to 600 BC. The riders should be naked and oiled.

And they should ride on stone square wheels, because having round wheels makes it much easier to conserve energy and judge your effort for the whole race

Fiore_Square_Wheel.jpg

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No reason to make fun of the topic really is there? Though the thread starter could have done alot more to leave it open for debate - still should be possible to answer since it's quite a relevant question

42x16ss said:
Why don't we get rid of HRM's, speedometers and computers with split timers in races as well?

Most of the time measuring devices like these are little more than confirmation for guys at this level anyway.

Then they won't mind getting rid of them.

I say get rid of it all but a simple cyclometer. No radios. No power meters. No HRMs. No rectal thermometers with data uplinked to satellite then relayed to the team's service course for analysis.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Then what, have a group of judges to rank the ITT race and the the highest score wins? Judged on what, effort presented during the ride, equipment choices, color presentation in outfit, ability to stay in the same exact position for duration of the race, keeping legs in motion. Negative points for; using hands to touch self other than to feed/hydrate, looking back or to fans, seen talking into mic, fluttering of kit in any way, tossing trash or bodily fluids, spitting, snot rocketing, smiling, grunting, ...

:rolleyes:

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Why not look to make the figures public during racing.

Don't watch any motor sports unless before the cycling, but they always have rpm and speed next the racer - why not cycling.

Image a split screen with Tony and Fab in the top corner watts and km/h

May 27, 2010
Visit site
pugdog said:

I think this is the only way to solve the problems people have with technology.

It's not the 1960s anymore

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
just some guy said:
Why not look to make the figures public during racing.

Don't watch any motor sports unless before the cycling, but they always have rpm and speed next the racer - why not cycling.

Image a split screen with Tony and Fab in the top corner watts and km/h

I like this.
Interesting that Wiggins said he chose to use a PM instead of a radio because he said he had been given false information on the radio in the past.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
pugdog said:

My girlfriend would be extremely happy if Cancellara adopted this method

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts