• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

B. News: Liberty Seguros is coming back...

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Breaking News: Liberty Seguros is coming back ASAP

"Liberty Seguros is preparing its return in the peloton"

The marketing manager of the Portuguese branch of the insurer Liberty said that his company would soon be back in cycling: "We intend to return to professional cycling as soon as possible. At the earliest in 2011 and no later than 2012 . The team would be composed 100% of riders Lusitanian. Candido Barbosa, current rider Palmeiras Resort, being touted as future sporting director.
71028443-395-100-395-70.jpg

The first two attempts in cycling sponsorship of this insurance company have ended out badly. The first outcome of the Spanish branch, had cut short because of the "Case Puerto". The second, launched in Portugal, flipped over three more positive doping controls of Hector Guerra, Nuno Ribeiro and Isidro Nozal during an unannounced before the Tour of Portugal in 2009.
This season, Liberty Seguros is only a partner of the Portuguese federation for cycling.

Source: Lusa & http://cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=6029#ancre1

Let's be fair - the new Liberty will be more like the Portuguese Continental Liberty than the Saíz one.

I actually kinda look forward to it. The Portuguese scene needs a bit of revitalisation. It's just that... Liberty Seguros... wow. I think they've taken over sole ownership of the "cycling's dumbest sponsor" mantle.

Fabio Silvestre, an amateur racing on the Liberty Seguros-Santamaria da Feira domestic team in Portugal, has been having some very impressive results on those occasions they get to face the big boys of the Continental teams, so I'd like to see him on the new team.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
The 'odd man out' in the above photo is:

a) Igor Gonzales de Galdeano
b) Roberto Heras
c) Manolo Saiz
d) Alberto Contador
e) none of the above

If think Contador :p he's the guy on the right on the top line :p yet I think I must've misunderstood the question :p

Libertine Seguros said:
Fabio Silvestre, an amateur racing on the Liberty Seguros-Santamaria da Feira domestic team in Portugal, has been having some very impressive results on those occasions they get to face the big boys of the Continental teams, so I'd like to see him on the new team.

I guess you cant say Libertine Seguros doesnt know a lot about cycling
And i guess you cant say Liberty Seguros dont care about cycling. To go for it a 3rd time.

ergmonkey said:

b) Roberto Heras
c) Manolo Saiz
d) Alberto Contador
e) none of the above
I think the other ones are Rene Andrle (in the middle) and Koldo Gil?

Anyway, I know DAOTEC just loves sensationalism, but this doesn't have much to do with Manolo Saiz.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:

b) Roberto Heras
c) Manolo Saiz
d) Alberto Contador
e) none of the above

If im really pushed for an answer i will go for f) Joseba Beloki:rolleyes:

I'm actually glad they're giving it another go and haven't completely walked away the way so many other sponsors do.

Still upset that Heras was blacklisted from the sport for basically doing no more than anyone else during that time. I still think of him as the winner of the 2005 Vuelta. :(

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm actually glad they're giving it another go and haven't completely walked away the way so many other sponsors do.

Still upset that Heras was blacklisted from the sport for basically doing no more than anyone else during that time. I still think of him as the winner of the 2005 Vuelta. :(

never understood why that was either. AKAIK he didn't rat out anyone else and just did the usual I am innocent thing.

Always was a fan of his and wish he was allowed a comeback although he is World Brompton Champion

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
la rota dos moveis are also going to step us as pct next year. good for portugese cycling that has taken many hits because of economy and also doping.

Ryo Hazuki said:
la rota dos moveis are also going to step us as pct next year. good for portugese cycling that has taken many hits because of economy and also doping.
I am quite enthusiastic about this news but am surprised given that they aren't as successful as some of the other Portuguese teams (Palmeiras Resort, anyone???). They're my favourites though, so that's quite exciting news. They hope to be able to target the Vuelta, which would be absolutely great!

Source, for anyone who's interested:
http://jornalciclismo.com/la-paredes-rota-dos-moveis-quer-ser-continental-profissional

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
la rota dos moveis are also going to step us as pct next year.

This is Great News. It would be amazing to see more portuguese racers on the International level, specially in televised races. There's only one schedulled to race in La Vuelta and there were none in the Giro.

They have a good team, with many portuguese riders and at least 3 GC contenders. Hernani Broco is a very nice surprise, at least to me.

Relating Liberty, it is always encouraging to see a sponsor invest in cycling, and with long term commitments, but as Libertine Seguros says

they've taken over sole ownership of the "cycling's dumbest sponsor" mantle.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Fester said:
I'd say a round of applause is needed to this company which clearly recognizes the value cycling offers and is willing to invest in a better cycling.

Yes, they do deserve that applause. The fact that they continue to keep trying is a great story, I hope it works out for Liberty Seguros! :cool: