• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bad news for Canucks ......

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Steampunk said:
Harmon and Kelly are light years better to listen to.

I was surprised to see your U.S. location. Kelly's droning monotone and thick accent is absolute murder on my ears. I have to turn down the volume when he talks. I wish he'd just toik his farking boik and gow fair a roid.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Big whoop.

There's about 19 different sources on the internet which you can watch the Tour (and every other major race!) besides OLN -- WITHOUT ads every 3 minutes!

And definitely without the Pharmastrong bias = even more important!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I'll miss the quality of the video but not the quality of the coverage. Nor Bob Roll for that matter. No more Bobke... maybe the thread title should be Good news for Canucks......

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Potomac said:
TV, even with the adverts, wins over internet every time.
Got up at 0530MDT, turned on the tely and did my morning business (thus avoiding most of the idiotic OLN pre-race banter). Walked back into the kitchen, and made a loaf of banana-nut bread, coffee, read the daily rag, then set out to prep this evening's dinner. All with the TV visible. I cant do that when I'm watching the Giro via the internet.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand the people who would rather watch tv coverage of the tour over streaming internet feed. Seem a bit like choosing vanity over quality.

Yes, tv coverage has better quality images but it is also filled with ads and ****ty commentary which, to me, lowers my overall viewing experience quite substantially.

If I really want to see 170 bikes in super HD I'll wait until the dvd is released and download it. Then watch it without the ads.

A

Anonymous

Steel4Ever said:
I don't understand the people who would rather watch tv coverage of the tour over streaming internet feed. Seem a bit like choosing vanity over quality.

Yes, tv coverage has better quality images but it is also filled with ads and ****ty commentary which, to me, lowers my overall viewing experience quite substantially.

If I really want to see 170 bikes in super HD I'll wait until the dvd is released and download it. Then watch it without the ads.

in some instances i prefer feeds. The classics i was watching on the sporza feeds whilst waiting for eurosport to go live, and i ended up sticking with the feeds preferring to listen to the flemish commentary. it felt more authentic.

can someone tell me what OLN stands for

A

Anonymous

Steel4Ever said:

I turned my wife and daughters into quite knowledgable cycling fans with TV coverage.

Having the four of us watching a 42 inch TV is hell of a lot easier than 4 people trying to cluster around a 13 inch laptop display.

Not everyone likes the same thing - I clearly get that you don't care and firmly believe everyone should think the same as you.

I don't.

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:
in some instances i prefer feeds. The classics i was watching on the sporza feeds whilst waiting for eurosport to go live, and i ended up sticking with the feeds preferring to listen to the flemish commentary. it felt more authentic.

can someone tell me what OLN stands for

Outdoor Life Network.

It is the same name as the US network was before they changed the name to Versus.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:
Outdoor Life Network.

It is the same name as the US network was before they changed the name to Versus.

It's NOT the same.
OLN does NOT carry the same programming as VS.
Different country, different audience, different shows, different coverage.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well since you are in the geat white north there is still elk/black bear hunting, PBR, and the NHL to watch on your TV. What is the fuss EH?

A

Anonymous

-myra- said:
I turned my wife and daughters into quite knowledgable cycling fans with TV coverage.

Having the four of us watching a 42 inch TV is hell of a lot easier than 4 people trying to cluster around a 13 inch laptop display.

Not everyone likes the same thing - I clearly get that you don't care and firmly believe everyone should think the same as you.

I don't.

svideo lead connected to laptop and tv.. problem sorted ;)

A

Anonymous

Steel4Ever said:
It's NOT the same.
OLN does NOT carry the same programming as VS.
Different country, different audience, different shows, different coverage.

Where the h*ll did I say they were the same network?

I said it was the same name. NAME.

OLN in the US changed it's name to Versus - to coincide with it's move to "manly" sports - hockey and what not ........

OLN as a network name is licenced in Canada from the US network by CTV - the network is called OLN Canada.

Is that clear now?

Do I need to try and spell it out in single syllable words for you?

Exactly where did I say the same network???

One more added to my ignore list.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:
One more added to the 'Cavendouche Crybaby' list. :D

Myyyy Gaawwdddd... Is there anyplace on this forum a fight can't break out? :( Hilarious.

We can deal with versus, the fam knows the announcers are morons, but we enjoy watching it all together on a real tv and not being dependent on a quirky low def stream for a connection.

It's amazing how fast my kid has picked up on who's who, who is who's teammate. We were watching a TT at some point. There was an HTC guy on screen. All I could see was his backside. My son goes, 'Is that Tony Martin?' I said I don't know. It was.

For the most part I am over the announcing. Bob and Paul can be grating much of the time, but I just laugh at their Lance worship.

The article that was linked to at multichannel has some interesting other versus links if you scroll down to the related content area.

http://www.multichannel.com/article...With_Tour_de_France_Armstrong.php?rssid=20059

I despise their commentary more than I despise Lance, but if he helps to keep them profitable, then that means they won't drop it. And I like that. More people watching can't be bad for the sport, can it?

TRENDING THREADS