• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ballan and Santambrogio free to race...again!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Hincapie's involvement is not official. No official source has confirmed his confession, and sure as hell neither has he. You can't compare his situation to Ballan and Santambrogio's. Now, if I were Och or Rihs... scratch that, if I, with my own morals, were in charge of BMC, I'd question Hincapie and suspend him unless he explicitly denied the leaked info, but if he did that what can you do?

I think you would never have hired GH, Ballan or Santambrogio in the first place ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
No, other team suspend riders if they test positive or are proven to be involved in doping. BMC suspends riders if there is a rumor or are noted in a case, Hincapie is noted/mentioned/implicated in the case against lance. Following BMC protocol he should be banned due to that like Ballan was.

Firstly it isn't BMC protocol but UCI protocol that they are suspended. The first time around last year BMC suspended their riders and then lifted charges. May I remind you of some facts.

On May 3, Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport published a story alleging actions and conversations concerning the investigation. "To date, the BMC Racing Team has never been notified by any authorities regarding these alleged actions and conversations," BMC Racing Team President and General Manager Jim Ochowicz said. "We support all anti-doping policies and initiatives and, within the team, we are confident that since the two joined the BMC Racing Team in 2010 no doping issues have arisen." Also, no authority – UCI, WADA, CONI, etc. – has contacted the BMC Racing Team with any suspicious doping issues regarding either rider. Both riders continue to fully cooperate with all authorities. Should any appropriate authority contact us with any documented information, the BMC Racing Team will take all appropriate actions that are required.

Again, if no actions have been taken then how can they suspend them?

MV, it is irrelevant who is "suspect n.o 1". That is simply moronic. If they were under investigation and have been called to face trial then they are all suspects.

Well George is simply giving evidence. Armstrong's head is on the chopping block. Not Hincapie's.

auscyclefan94 said:
MV, it is irrelevant who is "suspect n.o 1". That is simply moronic. If they were under investigation and have been called to face trial then they are all suspects.
Talking of moronic, you do realize you have made my point for me?
They should all remain suspended until a unilateral agreement is reached.

Now it looks as if Lampre, an Italian squad, are much tougher on potential dopers than BMC.
After all that fuss about them not really being Phonak mark 2.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I can understand keeping them off the Giro squad this year and last year since it kind of sounded like charges were imminent and they might get dragged off the team bus in handcuffs during the race.

I don't think BMC has treated them very well though. These guys have missed more racing than some riders who have actually served a suspension.