• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ballan and Santambrogio out of the Giro

Has somebody at BMC just copy/pasted the article from last year and replaced the 2010 with a 2011? An already weak BMC Giro team just got chronic, and it doesn't even have the prospect of Evans to make it defensible.

At least they'll make it to Italy this year. They're shaping up to suck at the Giro on the level of Gerolsteiner in 2008.

hrotha said:
This is good news (except for my CQ team). If Ballan and Santambrogio are in trouble, we can bet many others at Lampre are as well. Hope this one isn't going away.

Yet another team implicated. Lampre, USPS/Discovery/Shack, t-mobile, Phonak, Saunier Duval, Cofidis, Festina, etc., etc., etc.

Will it ever end?

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
For BMC to exonerate last year and now resuspend .... Maybe the evidence is really building up, the crisis about to explode ? Suspend before they really go down ?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Does not having Ballan mess up Evans' hopes at all?

Nope, Ballan was never riding the tour this year nor Santambrogio.

Other teams would know if their riders are under investigation. I am sure their will be some who are still riding the giro. Nice to see BMC doing the right thing. Would of been better if Zomegnan made a descision on if he wanted or didn't want the riders under investigation riding il giro.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Actually, the most interesting thing I thought about the correspondance on that site is how little he'd done. I always assumed that someone would either be on a 'full' program or not at all. But 10 transfusions and “This is the fifth one.” (EPO I think) is pretty light.

auscyclefan94 said:

Other teams would know if their riders are under investigation. I am sure their will be some who are still riding the giro. Nice to see BMC doing the right thing. Would of been better if Zomegnan made a descision on if he wanted or didn't want the riders under investigation riding il giro.

Deja Vu for Evans. He must be used to it by now. Can't see it having much effect on his preparation or the race itself

auscyclefan94 said:

LOL. Talk about PR spin.

Och and BMC stood by Ballan and MS until the very last minute when the pressure (obviously news of the Gazzata story) broke.

Och on 9th April - dismisses it

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ochowicz-adamant-that-ballan-will-start-paris-roubaix

Och on 11th April - says he will only look at it if Ballan is charged.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bmc-management-defends-ballan-decision

Hardly doing the right thing more trying to avoid egg on their faces - and failing.

BMC is a joke of a team and the sooner it goes the way of Phonak the better.

veganrob said:
Great work by police to nail these guys. I'm sure there are many more. Get them also.
They did a good job, but I bet it's easy for them when they're used to hardcore drug dealers and then have to go after complete amateur gangstas, like these cyclists. The police must find it hilarious. They don't even bother speaking in code.