• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ban race radios - PLEASE

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Loved yesterdays stage 11 at the Giro and it serves as perfect rationale to banning race radios.

Shortly into the race Vino, Basso & Crew and Cadel (who I really support) should have put the hammer down. They say nobody had "good information" on what the race status was... Tell you what folks, if I am them, I am looking around and saying, geez... seems like a lot of people are missing, we are down from 100 to more like 40, wonder where everybody went? Oh, and Bradley, Carlos, Tondo are missing- Maybe we better pick up the pace and sort this out along the way.
It must have been priceless for guy from other teams (with leaders in the split) to watch these guy slow to a crawl while they tried to figure out what was happening to them.
Instead, the trolled along at 30kph and within 30 minutes were 10 minutes down.

I Love it............. Grow a brain, ride your bike and HTFU........

Froome and his irritating habit of spending most of his time yapping on his radio or adjusting his earpiece in the middle of killer climbs is a persuasive argument for banning race radios. Riders should be able to go 10 meters without contacting their DS or teammates.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Froome and his irritating habit of spending most of his time yapping on his radio or adjusting his earpiece in the middle of killer climbs is a persuasive argument for banning race radios. Riders should be able to go 10 meters without contacting their DS or teammates.

That, along with looking down, and his horrendous looking climbing style are the most annoying things about how Froome rides.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ban the use of radios by directeurs sportif. Riders could keep radios so that the organisers can communicate danger, crashes, changes of route etc. Riders would then have to read the race and decide what to do.

frenchfry said:

IMO he's not even talking to the guys in his team car, he's probably just calling in to a sports radio program as Fris Croome and talking about how that Chris Froome guy is totally awesome.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Froome keeps his radio on when he's on the podium, at dinner, even in bed. I think by the end of the Tour it might have grown to his body

Warhawk said:
IMO he's not even talking to the guys in his team car, he's probably just calling in to a sports radio program as Fris Croome and talking about how that Chris Froome guy is totally awesome.

Lol! He is actually commentating the race for Kenyan television...

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Rosedale said:
Ban the use of radios by directeurs sportif. Riders could keep radios so that the organisers can communicate danger, crashes, changes of route etc. Riders would then have to read the race and decide what to do.

Probably a reasonable compromise. Though people using the tools available doesn't really bother me. May as well ban power metres too. And while we're at it, ban all bikes made before 1913.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
this is 2013, race radios ought to be a thing of the past by now. they should be replaced by live television feeds on the bike computer screens, coupled with transponder data from the riders' main rivals (to enable you to up the pace at the right time) as well as from the riders' team mates (useful in situations such as sprint trains).
dangerous road spots, best sides for roundabouts, should all be programmed into the bike computer and played back at the adequate time.
and what the ds speaks should be able to appear as short text messages at the bottom of the bike computer screen.

also there should be a way to hack into your rivals power data and read what they are doing or even maybe mess with their power display to confuse them

_nm___ said:
this is 2013, race radios ought to be a thing of the past by now. they should be replaced by live television feeds on the bike computer screens, coupled with transponder data from the riders' main rivals (to enable you to up the pace at the right time) as well as from the riders' team mates (useful in situations such as sprint trains).
dangerous road spots, best sides for roundabouts, should all be programmed into the bike computer and played back at the adequate time.
and what the ds speaks should be able to appear as short text messages at the bottom of the bike computer screen.

also there should be a way to hack into your rivals power data and read what they are doing or even maybe mess with their power display to confuse them

i like where your heads at but i think a high definition display would be distracting. Im thinking google glasses. lets give them a heads up display. wifi in the team car and certain skybots in newer models come with bluetooth wireless access points. Definitely a camera in the back of your helmet so you can bring up a rear view. porte can play angry birds when hes bored. Wigans could surf the web, generally be distracted. Froome could use the calendar notifications: mid-race time dont forget to eat! EBH can watch youtube clips of himself winning tdf stages in 2011.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am typically a peaceful man, but I am afraid if I were ever on a ride with someone wearing Google Glasses I might slap them across the face before I know what was happening, like an instinct.

Getting old is good in ways, but dealing with the "next thing" becomes more and more annoying.

The radio ban should favour the Belgian riders whose tactical skills are just natural, I mean innate. Just have a look at the Texan guy who constantly needed to resort to the tactical advice of his Belgian DS, Bruyneel.

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
i like where your heads at but i think a high definition display would be distracting. Im thinking google glasses. lets give them a heads up display. wifi in the team car and certain skybots in newer models come with bluetooth wireless access points. Definitely a camera in the back of your helmet so you can bring up a rear view. porte can play angry birds when hes bored. Wigans could surf the web, generally be distracted. Froome could use the calendar notifications: mid-race time dont forget to eat! EBH can watch youtube clips of himself winning tdf stages in 2011.

HAhahaha - "EBH can watch youtube clips of himself winning tdf stages in 2011" - just genious idea!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
First of all radios are banned in general. There are 28 races that the rules allow elite men's races to use them plus all the TT's.

In North America only the 2 World Tour races in Quebec allow radios. That is all.
Radios for TTs must be horrible for the rider but it is a blessing for the people on the race course where DS use loud hailers to constantly yell at their rider.
In a race like Paris Roubaix the radios are often useless for much of the race and especially for the leaders where they are too far from the cars.
All UCI races have radios in the caravan for race radio so the DS have been getting tactical information for decades. That is not new Getting the information to riders outside of these 28 races is hard to do but there are a lot of tricks and a lot of traffic at the back of the caravan.

I love radios for management and safety reasons and even tactical now that teams seems much less capable of riding chase for hours.

TRENDING THREADS