• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso and Modolo smacked around by protesters!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
rhubroma said:
Nations have been based on such mythology, yes, but there is always a limit to intelligence and decency.
Question! If instead of coining the name "Padania" the Lega Nord was campaigning for the independence of, I don't know, "Piemonte-Lombardia-Veneto", all else being equal, would that be alright?

hrotha said:
The protesters at the Giro di Padania are anti-Lega Nord. Since "Padania" is not a historical term and it was coined by the Lega Nord, they see this race basically as separatist propaganda. And frankly, whether they're right or not to protest against the race itself, they're right about the propaganda bit - how many foreigners were even aware that "Padania" was a thing before this happened?

*raises hand*

Then again I thought this race was a bit of a practical joke/propaganda stunt when I first read about the plans.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Question! If instead of coining the name "Padania" the Lega Nord was campaigning for the independence of, I don't know, "Piemonte-Lombardia-Veneto", all else being equal, would that be alright?
To me the problem with the 'Padania' concept is that it appears to be based more on a desire to get rid of the south than on any kind of shared padanian identity.

Duartista said:
To me the problem with the 'Padania' concept is that it appears to be based more on a desire to get rid of the south than on any kind of shared padanian identity.
That's what I think, but then there's nothing wrong with separatism. I'm trying to understand if the main issue is the falsification or creation of a Padanian identity, or separatism.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

Well, the kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmonte at one point covered most of what is now known as Padania. Then Garibaldi conquered the kingdom of the two Sicilies for Sardinia-Piedmonte. I suppose these Padanian nationalists aren't a big fan of Garibaldi.

El Pistolero said:
Veneto never. At the time Veneto was annexed the country was already known as Italy.
True. Senility strikes again.

Anyway, I don't think Sardinia is included in their plans, and I imagine the other regions would object to being called Piedmont.

The solution, obviously, would be to use Langobardia. :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

Anyway, I don't think Sardinia is included in their plans, and I imagine the other regions would object to being called Piedmont.

Hmm, that would suggest some Germanic heritage :p

Lombardia obviously refers to that part of history as well, so I guess they're ok with it.

I'd say Padania would actuall be a pretty good name, although that doesn't mean Lega Nord is good as well. Independence of Northern Italy is kinda the same as independence of Flanders I guess. Also in the north, also the richer area, Flemish nationalists are often connected to racism(though this is not entirely true as NVA aren't a racist party). Flanders have more historical roots though, although County of Flanders is something totally different as Flanders nowadays. Which proves once again how artificial nations are.

The Flemish holiday celebrates the victory of the Flemish count and Flemish aristocrats who all spoke French. The Walloon holiday celebrates the riot in Brussels against the kingdom of the Netherlands which eventually led to independence of Belgium. Brussels.... A Dutch Speaking city in 1830 ;)

Gotta love the irony huh.

El Pistolero said:
Hmm, that would suggest some Germanic heritage :p

Lombardia obviously refers to that part of history as well, so I guess they're ok with it.

I'd say Padania would actuall be a pretty good name, although that doesn't mean Lega Nord is good as well.
That's the thing, I have no idea why they go with the Celtic BS when the Lombard settlement is more recent and when most of the population is of pre-Indoeuropean origin anyway. Plus the Lombards are my favourite Germanic tribe. I'd be happy to call it Lombardia, but that'd be no different from Piemonte so I guess Langobardia might be more acceptable.

But yeah, screw the Lega Nord, bunch of xenophobic, homophobic far right wing nutjobs.

hrotha said:

Actually the regions included in their plans should be Valle d'Aosta, Piemonte, Liguria, Lombardia, Trentino, Alto Adige, Veneto, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Emilia Romagna, Toscana, Umbria and Marche: as said before, this means only one thing, that is dividing north from south Italy.

Initially Lega Nord found an easy appeal in the racist sentiment, but right now, more than 61% of North Italy population would approve the secession because of economical and social reasons.
[source: http://www.affaritaliani.it/politica/padania_sondaggio_swg_secessione250610.html]

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
It is grotesque that the UCI have sanctioned a propaganda event for a bunch of bigots.

It's really weird, isn't it. It doesn't even matter what politics Lega Nord stand for, the UCI should of course never get involved in this kind of politics in any case.

Can in it be that UCI don't know the issues here? "Padania, where? Ah yes of course, Padania!" Most people can't name all of the departments/regions of their own country.

Of course it takes 20 seconds to look up "Padania" on wikipedia and realize that this is toxic politics the UCI shouldn't touch. Imagine a "New Confederacy against Northern Aggression Pro Cycling Challenge."

Pippo_San said:
Actually the regions included in their plans should be Valle d'Aosta, Piemonte, Liguria, Lombardia, Trentino, Alto Adige, Veneto, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Emilia Romagna, Toscana, Umbria and Marche: as said before, this means only one thing, that is dividing north from south Italy.
I know, but you'll agree it'd be kind of hard to stick all those regions into the name. This is not one of Gianni Savio's teams!
Initially Lega Nord found an easy appeal in the racist sentiment, but right now, more than 61% of North Italy population would approve the secession because of economical and social reasons.
[source: http://www.affaritaliani.it/politica/padania_sondaggio_swg_secessione250610.html]
If 61% of North Italians favour independence, wouldn't that automatically legitimate the whole idea of an independent Padania, North Italy or whatever you want to call it, together with the Giro di Whatever?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Annoyed at CA, too

WTF were Cycling Australia thinking sending a national team to this event?

Yes, sport and politics do mix on a regular basis, but the politics of this particular event smelled ugly from the moment it was first announced.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
rgmerk said:
WTF were Cycling Australia thinking sending a national team to this event?

Yes, sport and politics do mix on a regular basis, but the politics of this particular event smelled ugly from the moment it was first announced.

Because otherwise Goss would be ****ed for the Worlds.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Frosty said:
Wiki can obviously be changed quickly but the first two lines give a clue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padania

Have to admit i hadnt heard of it though.

Neither had I. (And I still can't name all of the regions in my home country.)

Indeed wiki can be changed but it should raise a warning flag. The UCI people in Aigle could have done some research, for instance sending some emails to Political Science professors at universities in Switzerland or Italy.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
If 61% of North Italians favour independence, wouldn't that automatically legitimate the whole idea of an independent Padania, North Italy or whatever you want to call it, together with the Giro di Whatever?

Not really answering your question, just an opinion: For such a serious political question, people will often answer polls in a careless and impulsive way.

But if you are actually in the poll booth, voting on such a huge question as the separation of Northern and Southern Italy, you will probably have considered this question for a year or more... very different from saying "si" or "no" on a telephone/internet poll.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9jAYjoT0Ng

Let's get some footage (insults not censored :p)

Physical confrontation begins at 1:12, looks like Modolo stuck his hand in the guys face first, then gets a major Bee-ach slap from the guy, enough to knock his sunglasses flying off. I don't see Basso getting hit, in fact Basso seems to be smiling and laughing at the situation and even attempts to check on Modolo who doesn't look so happy post slap.

Did Basso get hit and its not on the video? Just wondering due to the title of the thread.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the cops in italy would have no idea what to do with the some of the groups we have here in America. The best ever at riots IMO were the Germans though. I saw stuff on tv when I was stationed there that was unbelieveable. What's wrong with secession anyway? Maybe they just want to get away from a corrupt government?

hrotha said:

Fair enough. No.

We can't separate the racist and xenophobic aspects of it, from the invented fable the movement has chosen as its cause. In other words, the former can't exist without the other and vice versa.

For the Lega Nord "Piemonte-Lombardia-Veneto" simply do not exist, only "Padania" does, whereas if they decided to recognize the legitimacy of these northern Italian regions, such would be tantamount to approving the common historical destiny they share with the rest of The Boot, which of course they categorically rejects.

And can we really feel that a party with a leader as deluded and pathetic as Umberto Bossi could be any different simply by changing brand name?. Bossi, once again, has publicly refereed to African immigrants as "bunga-bunga", homosexuals as "culatoni" ("big a$$-lovers") as well as denouncing all muslims as maliale "swine".

TRENDING THREADS