• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso - Evans

What time difference can Evans protect/overhall in final Giro tt

• no idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Without being presumptious that it is indeed between these two riders how much of a time gap does Basso need before the final time trial to beat Evans overall and potentially win pink?

I think if Cuddles wants to win he has to be within 40 secs of the Bass-man. The climb early on is tricky and the difference there will be limited, but Evans should be able to motor hard over 2nd part and get quite a bit there. He's gotta stay close though. If Basso goes in thinking he may lose it, he might panick and give to much on the opening climb, opening the door for Cuddles over the second part. If Basso's gap is bigger though, he'll be more confident and not afraid to balance the TT well, and consequently the gap will be smaller.

I hope that made sense :eek:

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I think if Cuddles wants to win he has to be within 40 secs of the Bass-man. The climb early on is tricky and the difference there will be limited, but Evans should be able to motor hard over 2nd part and get quite a bit there. He's gotta stay close though. If Basso goes in thinking he may lose it, he might panick and give to much on the opening climb, opening the door for Cuddles over the second part. If Basso's gap is bigger though, he'll be more confident and not afraid to balance the TT well, and consequently the gap will be smaller.

I hope that made sense
:eek:

translation: if evans can gain two seconds (2) on basso before the final TT he may or may not win the giro depending on where basso's head is at ;).

ed rader

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The track is too short, too hilly, and too turny for a ITT rider to excel. Man, when will ASO learn that time trials dont have to be long, flat, and boring.

This
alt_21new_600.jpg

verses this

PROFIL.gif

Moondance said:

I hope that made sense :eek:

40 seconds is a very big gap to stick in to someone on that second half, which is basically 4.5Km decline and 3Km flat. I've gone for 20 seconds.

And lest we forget, TDF 2008.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
If Cuddles isn't within 15 secs going into the Final TT he won't win the Giro.

The final TT is unlikely to have an effect on the overall GC.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
ludwig said:
If Cuddles isn't within 15 secs going into the Final TT he won't win the Giro.

The final TT is unlikely to have an effect on the overall GC.

Agree with the first. It is far too short to make up a lot of time, Evans has to be very close to beat Basso overall. I would even go for ten, otherwise he won't make it.
And yes, agree with the second. The ITT is mainly for the show. Unless your name is Denis Menchov and you are riding the prologue of the Tour, the favourites can't possibly lose more than 20 sec on one another.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
It's also worth thinking about how much time Arroyo can stand to lose on this TT-- that pink jersey may be hard to peel off him. I'd also expect Porte to go top-3 in this TT, based on his ride in Romandie. Should make for a fun finale.

20-30 seconds I reckon.
Without looking up the stats, Cadel's last TT in big tours never seems to have the punch of his earlier TTs.

Being an Aussie, I would say that is all the evidence we need to prove that he doesnt dope...:cool:

Latest posts