• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso in 2010 Tour

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
nope, andy. he's the relevant gc rider/ team leader, no?
yes, but in the final TT he finished 1:45 back which was w/in a minute of all the GC riders except Contador and a mere 15 sec behind LA. In 2007 Giro his final TT he finished 6th 1:28 back. I know he lost 4 minutes in the final TT in '08, but he may not have been busting his *** to preserve his 12th place. I think the whole Andy can't TT is overblown and just lumping him in with Frank, who really can't TT to save his life.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
Basso is never coming back. He is absolutely washed up. His measly 4th place in the Giro is the beginning of his swan song. He is proof positive that you can never come back from an extended absence and get back to the top in professional cycling.

He and Armstrong have both shown us that. A fourth and tenth in the Giro... pathetic! And that desperate scramble by Armstrong to merely save a TDF podium? I expect these guys to completely embarrass themselves again next year, and then slip ignominiously into cycling obscurity.

Put a fork in them... they're done!!

Being on the podium of the TdF is embarassing? I'd love to "embarass" myself like that, too...

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Nick C. said:
yes, but in the final TT he finished 1:45 back which was w/in a minute of all the GC riders except Contador and a mere 15 sec behind LA. In 2007 Giro his final TT he finished 6th 1:28 back. I know he lost 4 minutes in the final TT in '08, but he may not have been busting his *** to preserve his 12th place. I think the whole Andy can't TT is overblown and just lumping him in with Frank, who really can't TT to save his life.

ok, there a plenty of dudes in the peloton that can't time trial. what i meant was andy schleck is a CONTENDER that has roughly the same profile of skills (good in the mountains, weak against the clock) that basso used to. even if it's just a relative weakness... mountain andy schleck is clearly much stronger than time trial andy schleck. he's not the all-arounder that armstrong was or that contador seems to be now. frank schleck, you're right sucks it up on a time trial, but he's really not going to be the one going for overall victory.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Jayarbie said:
Being on the podium of the TdF is embarassing? I'd love to "embarass" myself like that, too...

i think it's the direction (downwards) rather than the position (3rd) that could be considered embarrassing to armstrong, et. al. but also, in response to the original post, don't think there's any way possible that armstrong becomes "obscure." they'll never be fewer than 500 cameras on that dude. ever.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
i think it's the direction (downwards) rather than the position (3rd) that could be considered embarrassing to armstrong, et. al. but also, in response to the original post, don't think there's any way possible that armstrong becomes "obscure." they'll never be fewer than 500 cameras on that dude. ever.

"Disappointing" maybe, but even that is a stretch. Embarassing? That's a pretty strong word.

VeloFidelis said:
Basso is never coming back. He is absolutely washed up. His measly 4th place in the Giro is the beginning of his swan song. He is proof positive that you can never come back from an extended absence and get back to the top in professional cycling.

Hmmmm Menchov was obviously heavy-doped , Danilo Killer Di Luca is caught, Pellizotti probably had been training with famous Dr Ferrari and at the end we have only Carlos Sastre and Ivan Basso without any suspicion. IMHO is not so bad for Ivan after three year absence

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Zen Master said:
Hmmmm Menchov was obviously heavy-doped , Danilo Killer Di Luca is caught, Pellizotti probably had been training with famous Dr Ferrari and at the end we have only Carlos Sastre and Ivan Basso without any suspicion. IMHO is not so bad for Ivan after three year absence

Really?! 'Cuz I'm pretty sure Basso just got back from a two-year ban for having his name on the O.P. List. I'd hardly call that free of suspicion. Why is everyone letting him off the hook on this?

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Add Kreuziger into the leadership fight as well. There was a big feud with Kreuziger saying that he would never ride for Basso at the tour. I personally found Basso a little dissapointing at the Giro as he did have very good form. Same with Kreuziger, i was hoping for a higher finish for him but i think he peaked to early at Romandie and TDs and so struggled in the 2nd and 3rd weeks.

Kreuziger had some issues (diarrhoea) during the middle part of the Tour and could hardly stomach any food. I think its actually surprising that he finished at all and recovered so well. On Ventoux he was up there with the best and finished in front of Wiggins and Nibali. His preparation was planned so that he would peak during the final week. It was visible at San Sebastian, where he still had a great form.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
dolophonic said:
It will be good to have Basso back.. we shall see how well he comes along.
None the less it will be good to add more quality, yes.

i really don't get this. why is basso any different than rasmussen, vinokourov, ullrich, di luca, landis, hamilton, and the rest of these dopers trying to make a comeback. yeah, he seems like a nice guy. but he's a cheater like the rest.

ilillillli said:
i really don't get this. why is basso any different than rasmussen, vinokourov, ullrich, di luca, landis, hamilton, and the rest of these dopers trying to make a comeback. yeah, he seems like a nice guy. but he's a cheater like the rest.

He is no different than the rest who did the same thing but avoided getting caught.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts