• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso still lying his a$$ off

New issue of Cycle Sport has an interview with Basso. The interviewer states that Basso's time trial performance has been fairly poor since his return from suspension (which I would call fact at least on a relative basis). He then goes on to state that it would be easy to conclude that the large decline in TT performance is because Basso is no longer on the juice.

Basso's response is that the reason his TT performance has declined so much is because "I am ashamed to admit that I cannot even come within 6 inches of touching my toes." He feels that he has lost at least 40 watts at threshold because he's been lazy about his stretching. It has nothing to do with EPO you haters! LOL.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
New issue of Cycle Sport has an interview with Basso. The interviewer states that Basso's time trial performance has been fairly poor since his return from suspension (which I would call fact at least on a relative basis). He then goes on to state that it would be easy to conclude that the large decline in TT performance is because Basso is no longer on the juice.

Basso's response is that the reason his TT performance has declined so much is because "I am ashamed to admit that I cannot even come within 6 inches of touching my toes." He feels that he has lost at least 40 watts at threshold because he's been lazy about his stretching. It has nothing to do with EPO you haters! LOL.

Basso has always been a very mediocre time trialist.

A

Anonymous

He also said that he couldn't get into the old aero position, so he's working hard on stretching, and getting on the TT bike twice a week. I expect him to be less bad at it this year. We'll see. Did anyone compare his old photos or videos to 2009?

theswordsman said:
He also said that he couldn't get into the old aero position, so he's working hard on stretching, and getting on the TT bike twice a week. I expect him to be less bad at it this year. We'll see. Did anyone compare his old photos or videos to 2009?

Maybe stretching is the new "doing tests in the wind tunnel". I bet if he stretches enough his hct won't drop during the tour.

auscyclefan94 said:
Basso has always been a very mediocre time trialist.
Not always. These are the results from the Giro TT in 2006 before Operation Puerto was discovered:
Results
1 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team 58.48 (51.02 km/h)
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.28
3 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.01
4 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile Team 1.09
5 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 1.19
6 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 1.42
7 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 2.12
8 Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Française des Jeux 2.22
9 Dario David Cioni (Ita) Liquigas 2.24
10 Viatcheslav Ekimov (Rus) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 2.27
This is the final TT in the 2005 Tour

1 Lance Armstrong (USA) Discovery Channel 1.11.46 (46.4 km/h)
2 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team 0.23
3 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) T-Mobile Team 1.16
4 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC 1.33
5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 1.54
6 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems 2.02
7 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 2.06
8 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel 2.25
9 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne 2.51
10 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne 3.05

This is the second TT from the 2005 Giro

Results
1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 45.05 (45.249 km/h)
2 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Illes Balears 0.09
3 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC 0.20
4 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel-Pro Cycling Team 0.23
5 Dario David Cioni (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 0.28
6 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) Domina Vacanze 0.40
7 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) Fassa Bortolo 1.02
8 Juan Manuel Garate (Spa) Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.25
9 Paolo Bettini (Ita) Quick.Step 1.28
10 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Lampre-Caffita 1.34

This is the first TT in the Giro 2005

Results
1 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC 58.31 (46.14 km/h)
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.17
3 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel-Pro Cycling Team 0.44
4 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) Fassa Bortolo 0.48
5 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) Domina Vacanze 0.51
6 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Illes Balears 1.07
7 Markus Fothen (Ger) Gerolsteiner 1.15
8 Thomas Dekker (Ned) Rabobank 1.23
9 Jan Hruska (Cze) Liberty Seguros-Wurth Team 1.34
10 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 1.35

This is from the Tour in 2004 last TT

Results
1 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal p/b Berry Floor 1.06.49 (49.39 km/h)
2 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team 1.01
3 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile Team 1.27
4 Floyd Landis (USA) US Postal p/b Berry Floor 2.25
5 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC 2.48
6 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 2.50
7 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 3.19
8 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Illes Balears - Banesto 3.33
9 Jose Luis Rubiera (Spa) US Postal p/b Berry Floor 3.40
10 Jose Azevedo (Por) US Postal p/b Berry Floor 3.49

Before this he was average. You could make the argument that after 2003 Mr. Riis (Mr 60) put him on a full program, if you know what I mean.

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
So basically he trained every day throughout his suspension, never lost sight of his eventual return to pro cycling and maintained the utmost professionalism, except he just forgot to stretch every night and that's why he lost 40watts from his TT and went from Tour podium to also-ran.

In other words, he thinks we're all retards.

red_flanders said:
I remember Armstrong responding to questions about his strength in the 2000 Tour and his response having to do with better stretching regime. "A whole new level" of Lance was being achieved due to better stretching. Great stuff.

Lost weight (for climbing), stretching (for TT), higher cadence (for whatever the f*ck that was for), more focus ('cause we all know the euros lacked focus for all the decades they had won).

All funny sh*t! "Hi, my name is Lance, and I lost so much weight I can now beat Pantani (mini-man) uphill, but still TT like Indurain. I know, I know, Indurain used to torch me, but now I stretch!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:

Send him to me. In three months I'll have him doing the splits. What a douchebag. Nice one Ivan, make sure to bring your sister to the races to help us overcome your idiocy.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Rider Number "2" tranfusions for 2006 via velorooms

30/4
1 out, 2 in (Pre giro)

1/5 (pre giro)
1 in and half a PL (Plasma?)

12/5
During Giro, 1 bag delivered (13/5 was first day in the lumps, Basso won the stage on the 14th putting at least a minute into almost every, 2 minutes plus into most)

29/5
1 out, 1 in,

22/6
2 out, 2 in

26/6
Pre Tour 1 in

at least 2 bags in reserve

index.php

More images over there.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The same one who had blood removed but insists he never re-infused it and only intended to dope.

Strange that the documents then show multiple transfusions received for rider number 2. Including prior to and during the 2006 Giro d'Italia.

TheGame said:
The same one who had blood removed but insists he never re-infused it and only intended to dope.

Strange that the documents then show multiple transfusions received for rider number 2. Including prior to and during the 2006 Giro d'Italia.

Well, just start with the fact that he is Rider #2.

Obviously he was the most recent customer.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS