• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso v. Evans

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Given what happened today, how do you think each will perform in the rest of the tour? Any stage victories? And of course, overall placings?

Personally I think Basso will finish higher given that they both put in huge efforts at the Giro, but since Basso is the better climber, he will finish higher than Evans. With that said, I think the podium is a reach for either, and Basso will probably finish around 5th. Evans may end up winning a stage though.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Too soon to tell

It's so hard to call it between these two. Basso is better in the mountains, Cadel in the ITT. I don't think it will be clear until the third week, when the fatigue really starts to hit them.

My instinct is to go with Basso for the higher overall GC finish.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Well, if Evans rides the mountain stages like he usually does, then he'll just wheelsuck until he gets dropped. Basso will likely try to attack.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
ManInFull said:
Well, if Evans rides the mountain stages like he usually does, then he'll just wheelsuck until he gets dropped. Basso will likely try to attack.

Yawn ..... tired recycled comment, is that really all you can come up with.

Basso and Evans are both great riders, too early to say who will finish in front but it's strike one to Evans for sure. That was a gutsy ride and watching his positioning and jockeying up the front it looked like he was determined to stay near the front.

Probably the biggest plus for these two is F Schleck going out though.

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Impressed with Evans. Can back up grand tours (last year and 07 tdf/vuelta). I think Evans has the better shot @ podium at the moment if he can put in a strong final TT and be his normal self in the mountains. Won't know until the final week though how fatigue effects both of them.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Ignore ToolinFull. He's been banned time and time again, but his knuckledragging keeps the floors clean in here.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I've never been banned as I rarely comment in the forums.

Thanks.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
SoCalCyclingfan said:
It's so hard to call it between these two. Basso is better in the mountains, Cadel in the ITT. I don't think it will be clear until the third week, when the fatigue really starts to hit them.

My instinct is to go with Basso for the higher overall GC finish.

they are pretty equal in the TT, evans is an over-rated TT rider and basso equally under-rated.

as the climbs are not as steep as the giro basso loses his advantage of being a bit lighter.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
they are pretty equal in the TT, evans is an over-rated TT rider and basso equally under-rated.

as the climbs are not as steep as the giro basso loses his advantage of being a bit lighter.

According to the RIDE TDF guide, Basso weighs 70kg and Evans 68kg.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
biker jk said:
According to the RIDE TDF guide, Basso weighs 70kg and Evans 68kg.

I know for sure that BAsso is under 70 kg, or at least he was during the Giro as he said that you need to be below 70 kg to ride the Zoncolan the best and stating that he was lucky that he weighed less

Basso 69 kg (at least it was at Giro).
But after stage 3, Basso is now far behind in GC.

1 Cadel Evans (BMC) 14:54:39
2 Andy Schleck (Saxo Bank) 0:00:30
3 Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana)
4 Alberto Contador (Astana) 0:01:01
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Omega Pharma-Lotto) 0:01:03
6 Denis Menchov (Rabobank) 0:01:10
7 Bradley Wiggins (Team Sky)
8 Roman Kreuziger (Liquigas-Doimo) 0:01:45
9 Lance Armstrong (RadioShack) 0:01:51
10 Levi Leipheimer (RadioShack) 0:02:14
11 Michael Rogers (HTC-Columbia) 0:02:21
12 Andreas Klöden (RadioShack) 0:02:22
13 Robert Gesink (Rabobank) 0:02:37
14 Carlos Sastre (Cervelo TestTeam) 0:02:40
15 Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Doimo) 0:02:41

Let's see the psychological effect of the situation.
I think he must attack whenever possible, so Evans has the chance to defend and race conservatively, and the last ITT should favour him in theory.

Evans will time trial better but his climbing is another thing. The third week might sort them both out after such a tough Giro. Be good to see them up there though in the last week. Frank Schleck's absence should make it better and less complicated for his brother. Looks like the alps will be more action packed than they predicted with favoured riders already a fair way back on GC.

TRENDING THREADS