• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bastille Day Winner Predictions

Bastille Day Winner GO!

• The irrepressible Jens Voigt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm going with Chavanel. I think he has the best chance of any of the French riders and, since the three days in the mountains will have seen him drop down the GC a bit, he'll have nothing to lose and won't be a threat to Schlecktador.

So yeah: Chavanel.

I know its usually a day for the French, but without radios, how about a breakaway win by Jens Voigt? If anybody can get away and stay away, it's him.

If not Jens, then maybe Chavanel or Casar.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Since the stage is dead pan flat, I'm inclined to believe that the teams vying for the green jersey won't let any breaks go. If someone is going to do something special, it's going to have to be in the last couple km. Chavenel could be that guy, so could Nicolas Vogondy, or maybe even Sébastien Hinault.

mr. tibbs said:
I'm going with Chavanel. I think he has the best chance of any of the French riders and, since the three days in the mountains will have seen him drop down the GC a bit, he'll have nothing to lose and won't be a threat to Schlecktador.

So yeah: Chavanel.

A little bit OT but if Contador was to get yellow at Andorra then would he want to keep it? Its a bit of a task to keep it for two weeks. What might work better for him is to let a breakaway take the stage win on one of the next two stages with one of the breakaway members taking the yellow jersey. Such a person could be someone like Chavanel or Casar who could then try to keep it through the flatter stages until they hit the Alps.

Otherwise, yes, i would have thought that the normal breakaway people will have a go on this stage

I will be pulling for Voeckler, who will try his hardest to make the break.

The winner probably will not be french. It is too easy for a non-frenchman to get a largely free ride in the break while the french demonstrate to the TV audience how heroic they are by working hard.