• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Because it's Australian made, you know it was made clean"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Martin318is said:
This is the Mark French, Jobie Dajka part he mentions.

And depending on your point of view, French was either a "very disturbed man who spoke only lies" or a scapegoat?

Paco_P said:
Of course the reason that there are lots of Spanish cyclists who are caught for doping is simply that there are lots of professional cyclists who are Spanish. Fewer Australians are caught because there are fewer professional cyclists who are Australian.

And you only have to look at the ASADA sanctions to see that there is doping by amateur cyclists.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
@Realist
You seem to know alot about doping in Aus. This is on a slightly different note (ie.not about greenedge staff doping but just doping in Aus). Wasn't there PEDs (steroids??) found at the AIS (Aus Institute Of Sport) in a cyclists room a few years back (probably nearly 10years now). Graeme Brown comes to mind for some reason? Does anybody remember this or am i just dreaming this stuff???

I seem to vaguely remember that Sean Eadie to be part of this. Perhaps that he was the senior citizen of the then track team and the likely gateway for French and Dajka.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
@Realist
You seem to know alot about doping in Aus. This is on a slightly different note (ie.not about greenedge staff doping but just doping in Aus). Wasn't there PEDs (steroids??) found at the AIS (Aus Institute Of Sport) in a cyclists room a few years back (probably nearly 10years now). Graeme Brown comes to mind for some reason? Does anybody remember this or am i just dreaming this stuff???

Hey mate, Martin is pretty onto it as is Unsheath. There was Equine Growth Hormone (horse juice!) and a bunch of syringes found in Mark French's room at the AIS accomodation at Del Monte in Adelaide, where the sprint team was living and training at the time. Some DNA found matched Jobie Dajka. French got hung out to dry but it never seemed plausible that he was the only one or it was entirely self-initiated. He was a teenager and there were elder statesmen on the team... someone taught him how to find a vein. It could have been AIS, VIS, club guys, but you can't have that sort of thing going on in a government funded institute.

I don't think there was any link with Graeme Brown that I know of (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Ferminal said:
And depending on your point of view, French was either a "very disturbed man who spoke only lies" or a scapegoat?

I did not follow this carefully because I have no interest in track cycling, but I recall that French accused lots of people. Some of the accused showed that they had not visited Adelaide during the time that French was there, so a lot of what he was saying was flat out lies. I also seem to recall that after everything was said and done, he sued and walked away with a huge settlement. I am not sure how that works. Maybe Contador is living in the wrong country.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I may have to vote this thread title the "most ironically hysterical" of all time.

Yeah, Aussies are totally clean... Bwahahahahahhahhaa! Cough! Haahahahahaahhaa! Sputter! Hahahahahahaha!

Oh great, I just wet my pants...

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Realist said:
<snip

I don't think there was any link with Graeme Brown that I know of (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Jobie Dajka was busy naming names, including Graeme Brown and Brett Lancaster, but they showed their passports & other docs that proved they were not at Del Monte during the time in question, rather in Buttigen, Germany, IIRC.

Sean Eadie was implicated by Dajka, but was cleared. On the TV interviews, Dajka could not look at the camera, or hold anybody's stare which certainly gave the impression of guilt, whereas Eadie would look straight at the camera the whole time - either innocent or the best liar I have ever seen........

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I thought it was just the sprinters? Didn't realise it was the endurance guys too...

To my understanding, it was (in reality) only the sprint squad, but there were a lot of names being thrown around, So BL & GB just proved they were NOT there.... made the liars look even worse:)

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I wouldn't go that far Galic. Quite a few of the guys on Cycling Central are actually quite anti-Evans!

Laat time I checked the biggest anti Evans man was a Canadian and the other a Pom from London. Most viewers on the site are casual. The whole 2002-2003 Adelaide scene was a mess. French was left to rot. He was even assaulted in a club because of the whole debacle. Cycling covered it's ranks and abandoned him. They're scum. Simple truth. Scum. Sounds like a roll call for the Australian Labor party actually.;) ACF94, most of the regulars at SBS think Evans is cleaner than a preachers sheets. Just look at the comments this week. I was censored on the Ricco thread. I have to cleverly word my statements to avoid the censorsing hand of the mods at SBS.

Does anyone here remember how fast French and Dajka were? Then take Sean Eaddie. Compare. Eaddie peaked around then and died in speed afterwards. I can name some Aussie road guys who did the same, were good and then became duds. McGee, Cooke. There is a common component. Now compare how fast our current track team is. They're much faster. That is why I doubt them. That and they ride for HTC and Garmin, the cleanest teams in cycling, cough, cough. This is no surprise. The AIS teaches people how to dope...well it did a decade ago.

Australian sport is just as dirty as others. Spain right now, just happens to have some talented individuals in sports that pull lots of viewers. Football, tennis, cycling and F1. There is money there. Australians compete in League, Union and Cricket mostly. Lots of surfers. Different types of doping is needed for these sports. Then take a look at who has won Kona the last 3 years. Aussies. Heck, Crowie is palls with LA and Levi. Do the math people. Australians are not crystal clean. Does anyone here doubt our comeback swimmers will be clean or that they ever were? I'm honestly not sure...but I think they can come back because doping and suit advancements combined and got way out of control. Now it's on who swims best naturally, hence they stand a chance, comeback, get a sponsor, put some food on the table for the kids. I don't degrudge them that. Weirdly though, I don't like Thorpe anymore. Did when I was younger, because he is a almost exactly (within a few days) my age. I'd really like to hear what happened between him and the French authorities all those years back. The cheddar, the real info, not the PR line.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Laat time I checked the biggest anti Evans man was a Canadian and the other a Pom from London. Most viewers on the site are casual. The whole 2002-2003 Adelaide scene was a mess. French was left to rot. He was even assaulted in a club because of the whole debacle. Cycling covered it's ranks and abandoned him. They're scum. Simple truth. Scum. Sounds like a roll call for the Australian Labor party actually.;) ACF94, most of the regulars at SBS think Evans is cleaner than a preachers sheets. Just look at the comments this week. I was censored on the Ricco thread. I have to cleverly word my statements to avoid the censorsing hand of the mods at SBS.Does anyone here remember how fast French and Dajka were? Then take Sean Eaddie. Compare. Eaddie peaked around then and died in speed afterwards. I can name some Aussie road guys who did the same, were good and then became duds. McGee, Cooke. There is a common component. Now compare how fast our current track team is. They're much faster. That is why I doubt them. That and they ride for HTC and Garmin, the cleanest teams in cycling, cough, cough. This is no surprise. The AIS teaches people how to dope...well it did a decade ago.

Australian sport is just as dirty as others. Spain right now, just happens to have some talented individuals in sports that pull lots of viewers. Football, tennis, cycling and F1. There is money there. Australians compete in League, Union and Cricket mostly. Lots of surfers. Different types of doping is needed for these sports. Then take a look at who has won Kona the last 3 years. Aussies. Heck, Crowie is palls with LA and Levi. Do the math people. Australians are not crystal clean. Does anyone here doubt our comeback swimmers will be clean or that they ever were? I'm honestly not sure...but I think they can come back because doping and suit advancements combined and got way out of control. Now it's on who swims best naturally, hence they stand a chance, comeback, get a sponsor, put some food on the table for the kids. I don't degrudge them that. Weirdly though, I don't like Thorpe anymore. Did when I was younger, because he is a almost exactly (within a few days) my age. I'd really like to hear what happened between him and the French authorities all those years back. The cheddar, the real info, not the PR line.

Sorry, I was meaning some of the employees of Cycling Central Tomalaris and Gomes have something in for Evans.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Australians compete in League, Union and Cricket mostly. Lots of surfers. Different types of doping is needed for these sports. Then take a look at who has won Kona the last 3 years. Aussies. Heck, Crowie is palls with LA and Levi. Do the math people. Australians are not crystal clean.

Mmmm... And are you speaking from a NSW perspective? You're forgetting Aussie Rules... To play the Rugby codes needs (mostly) body mass and short sharp efforts.. To play Aussie Rules you need endurance, and lean body mass.. think Steroids v EPO.

From personal experience I know AFL footballers who would not look at a beer, but think nothing of taking "recreational drugs" for fear of messing with their skinfolds. But this is reflective of society in general, rather than the sole domain of any particular sport. Kids in Aus go out to a niteclub... suck down an eccy, a red bull and drink water all night.... don't have to be a filthy rotten cyclist to be doing that type of thing.

And Gallic.. drugs in cricket? Apart from Warnie inhaling one of his Mums slimming tablets... not really. Maybe when 20/20 melds into Baseball there will be an A-Rod type player who pumps it up to earn an IPL contract, but drugs in cricket is just too far fetched imo.

Thanks afc...

It's always interesting to hear Cuddles talk about doping, I wish they asked about Ricco though.

I love the "I just don't know" when asked about Landis, the investigation etc etc. Obviously he does know, but anyway. Sort of plays the "Landis credibility" card and then compares "where there's smoke there's fire" to "innocent until proven guilty" before plonking himself in the camp of the latter. Certainly no Wigans though :)

What gets me, if the investigation/court proceedings do find something, are any journalists going to ask these people to reflect on their comments made post-May 2010? From that point of view Cuddles holds a rather sustainable position. I guess it doesn't matter anyway as far too few journalists with the desire to ask difficult questions.

Spider1964 said:
And Gallic.. drugs in cricket? Apart from Warnie inhaling one of his Mums slimming tablets... not really. Maybe when 20/20 melds into Baseball there will be an A-Rod type player who pumps it up to earn an IPL contract, but drugs in cricket is just too far fetched imo.

Not australian but its not just spot-fixing that Mohammed Asif has been in trouble for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Asif#Drug_scandals

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Thanks afc...

It's always interesting to hear Cuddles talk about doping, I wish they asked about Ricco though.

I love the "I just don't know" when asked about Landis, the investigation etc etc. Obviously he does know, but anyway. Sort of plays the "Landis credibility" card and then compares "where there's smoke there's fire" to "innocent until proven guilty" before plonking himself in the camp of the latter. Certainly no Wigans though :)

What gets me, if the investigation/court proceedings do find something, are any journalists going to ask these people to reflect on their comments made post-May 2010? From that point of view Cuddles holds a rather sustainable position. I guess it doesn't matter anyway as far too few journalists with the desire to ask difficult questions.

I was a bit confused by what he was saying. He says Landis has little credibility but also says that then kind of says there was funny thinkgs going on.