• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Beer for The Classics

What to drink for Flanders & Roubaix? Any suggestions, accompanying menu items, whatever--bonus points awarded for all things Belgian.

And I'm aware there may be thread about this same thing on page 39, but now there's another one. And it needs your input!

belgian_beer_header.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I flew into Brussels this morning and just enjoyed a Chimay Blanche with my meal of meatballs and apple sauce.

More tomorrow on the Kapelmuur with mussels and frites.

DSC_1541.jpg

elapid said:
I flew into Brussels this morning and just enjoyed a Chimay Blanche with my meal of meatballs and apple sauce.

More tomorrow on the Kapelmuur with mussels and frites.

DSC_1541.jpg

I'm going with Chimay tomorrow myself. Haven't decided which one, I've got a bottle of each. Unfortunately, I'll have to drink it in front of my TV :(

Could it be millar time in the land of beers and should we be drinking miller in recognition of that?* I know what i'll be drinking anyway (tea cos im at work).

Never really liked Belgian beer much myself:(

*no, i dont think it will be, before people start trashing the thread;)

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Victorian Bitter!!!!

Every AFL fan's favourite beer.

That should tell you something :)

There are hundreds of different types of beer made in Belgium. Some of them taste quite similar to VB. Some of them are so different you'd barely reckon they qualify as "beer" if all you've ever drunk are Australian mainstream lagers. Most of them are worth trying at least once, IMO, and I'd be surprised if you didn't find some that you really liked if you tried.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:
Every AFL fan's favourite beer.

That should tell you something :)

There are hundreds of different types of beer made in Belgium.
Some of them taste quite similar to VB. Some of them are so different you'd barely reckon they qualify as "beer" if all you've ever drunk are Australian mainstream lagers. Most of them are worth trying at least once, IMO, and I'd be surprised if you didn't find some that you really liked if you tried.

More then 4000. So to try them all at least once will mean you will be there a very long time, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Disaster strikes! All of the liquor stores are closed in Texas on Sundays, which is no big deal, except that the grocery stores with good Belgian selections are also closed. B/c it's Easter.

And I was all geared up with a shopping list, too. My corner store is open, and they have Leffe, so looks like that's the one.

That's what you get for procrastinating, I guess. Way to go, tibbs. :\

Also, @ elapid: That is amazing. I hope the race is as good as the Chimay looks.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Here's what I was drinking while having lunch at the railway station in Ghent before making my way to the Kapelmuur:

DSC_1677.jpg

DSC_1676.jpg

And here is just some of the action on the Muur:

DSC_1725.jpg

DSC_1738.jpg

Great time!

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
@elipid.
It sickens me a bit to think you can get better beer in a Belgian train station than than in the whole of Australia........

I might splash out on some Chimay or Hoegaarden Verboden Vrucht ....so long as I'm not driving, and I can find some!

Interesting fact. In my home city the "Belgian Beer Cafe" owned by Carlton United (spits:mad:) doesnt show any live cycling.

TRENDING THREADS